Talk

Advanced search

To absolutely detest Facebook...esp...this wk my baby is.... big

(40 Posts)
Vix1980 Mon 25-Jul-11 09:42:15

There ive said it, i know im not alone but i hate Facebook!! I run my own business and have a business page on there which i need but as for my personal one i culled so many people last year it felt so good doing it now im down to people i only see in real life instead of the girl i sat by once in 4th year juniors.

I still log onto the business one every week and am sooooo sick of seeing how big some girls baby is inside of her, i think the pictures look disgusting and who really cares apart from the person who is pregnant, the family and her friends. I just don't understand why people put that up there, certainly look at it but why cant some things be kept private between yourselves and not forced on everyone else. But i usually see about 8-10 per week when i log on to see if orders have been placed for that week, so its hide hide hide all the way!

While i'm on the subject you know what else i hate, when couples have a conversation over facebook, my uncle and aunt used to do this before i hid them,now i no longer have to read whose turn it is to do the dishes, hoovering etc... I sometimes wish it had never been invented!

MissPenteuth Mon 25-Jul-11 09:47:24

who really cares apart from the person who is pregnant, the family and her friends

You've answered your own question. Before people post on FB, do you think they stop to make sure that Every Single One of their friends will be interested? No, they post for the few that are interested.

Hide their posts or delete them from your FB if you hate it so much. And maybe in future only accept friend requests from people who you actually care about or find interesting?

squeakytoy Mon 25-Jul-11 09:50:20

I run my own business and have a business page on there which i need

So stop moaning about FB then. You profit from FB. grin

traceybeaker Mon 25-Jul-11 09:50:29

I am interested in what most of my friends say because I am their friend.

Some things are not important to me but hey ho, I decided to log on and I decide who is my friend.

Why do people moan about things that they don't have to do, delete your account if it offends you that much.

ShowOfHands Mon 25-Jul-11 09:56:47

Oh unclench fgs.

Absolutely detest? Until fb is stealing into your house in the night and shitting on your best rug, I think you're getting a wee bit excited.

Shock horror, woman is excited to be pregnant and sharing it with people she is friends with. Burn the bloody witch.

altinkum Mon 25-Jul-11 09:57:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sleepindogz Mon 25-Jul-11 10:13:57

There ive said it, i know im not alone but i hate Facebook!

is it the law you have it now then hmm

fgs no one ever died not having blimmin facebook - shock horror, some people dont even have a computer!!! and they are still alive strangely enough

tothemoonandback Mon 25-Jul-11 10:15:42

She is sharing happy info. with her friends. Get a grip OP.

oldraver Mon 25-Jul-11 11:58:17

Maybe they are fed up of your business stuff popping up on their FB's. You know people who use their friends list to try and sell stuff.

I have personally culled people who spam me to much

worraliberty Mon 25-Jul-11 12:01:34

I absolutely detest people trying to add me to their business pages on FB

I tell them to bugger off and stop 'cold calling' me grin

harassedandherbug Mon 25-Jul-11 12:03:51

Yup, I'm ecstatic to be preg!!! 18 weeks now grin.

I think you're getting a bit worked up over something unnecessary tbh. Plus you're using it for work. For free. Not many places you can do that these days!

If you don't like it you can hide people without deleting them if that's easier. Not that I've done that to one of my sil's......

5inthebed Mon 25-Jul-11 12:06:57

"Until fb is stealing into your house in the night and shitting on your best rug, I think you're getting a wee bit excited." grin

If you don't want to see her updates, you can hide here. It is not compulsory to like your friends stati you know.

ZZZenAgain Mon 25-Jul-11 12:10:50

can't see the point in facebook, I get bombarded with posts re someone's updates or invitations to play stupid games and I don't know hwat.In fact, I've been thinking I'll cancel it, fills my mail tool up with junk and I never use facebook for anything really.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Mon 25-Jul-11 12:11:10

I don't like the twee language in those 'my baby is...' things. But there are only two pregnant people on my friend's list so I can cope.

lockets Mon 25-Jul-11 12:12:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

worraliberty Mon 25-Jul-11 12:13:36

ZZZ You can fix all that by changing the settings. You don't have to get email notifications and you can block requests/invites for games.

Sirzy Mon 25-Jul-11 12:14:26

It is possible to block most applications if you dont like them anyway.

I tend to just ignore anything i dont like, not hard really!

otchayaniye Mon 25-Jul-11 12:52:37

I hate facebook. I had it once as I am a journalist and was under pressure to make use of social media. But soon closed it down (well, you can never take it fully down, thanks FB) and realised that my four best friends don't use it either so it was a bit pointless.

My main gripes:

People say their friends have chosen. Well, up to a point. But not fully. They accept invitations largely because it's human nature to want to be asked in and generally people don't like to be awkward and refuse. But they won't have necessarily actively 'chosen' to accept broadcasting of your photos and witty apercus. You have to make an active decision to 'hide' and most don't. Most people are passive, rather than active when it comes to these things.

Facebook encourages narcissism. All people have some element of this rather negative characteristic, some hardly at all, but some to pathological levels. Facebook can take your normal 'average' person and exploit their latent narcissism. Of course, you'll think you are one of the sensible non-boastful people on facebook. But will others think that?

I've certainly posted things that on reflection I think were poncey, rude or could come across as TMI. But you can't get it back. I wouldn't have come across like this on the phone or via email.

But my main dislike is that it is a pernicious influence on proper meaningful human communication (yes, and I accept the irony of me posting on this anonymous board wink). With a face-to-face meeting, a letter, an email, or a phone call you communicate directly, get a response, tailor your response, and so on throughout the conversation. This brings people truly closer and allows you to fully explore your relationship and get something rewarding from it.
On facebook obviously you can message, but a lot of contact is through status and wall posting, where you are posting into the ether to many -- broadcasting, effectively -- and I always am left feeling that person was too rude to speak to me directly. Or a braggard, or a drama queen.

Ever laugh at those dreadful Christmas letters from twatty relatives? Well, Facebook, for me at least, is like that run amok.

There are so many other ways to communicate which are more personal but which can include photos being sent, etc. I've lived abroad from family and friends and managed fine, having a baby etc etc.

Facebook is monetising you. Don't be a sap and give away your information for free. Even if you set everything to private, it is using you for cash. It's heady pre-market valuation is based on tailored advertising and information selling.

Once it's out there, your information isn't yours. It's a bit scary. You can't ask for it back.

JamieAgain Mon 25-Jul-11 13:41:56

I totally agree with you otchayaniye

I would add, that the whole idea of amassing "friends" is particularly damaging for people who have an undeveloped sense of self ie. teenagers.

superjobee Mon 25-Jul-11 13:46:49

my week 26 post wouldve been up now with a pretty little blue box and baby super written underneath .. with little blue bow and we trainers at the side grin i hate facebook too for what its worth but im an anti social bint who hates all her friends <im being completely serious by the way!> i deleted mine because the ppl i did like i speak to on the phone often and the rest could jump off central pier for all i cared ..

bah fecking humbug to facebook!!

JamieAgain Mon 25-Jul-11 13:49:15

Oh, and I hate people posting photos on FB without asking me first. It's rude.

SoupDragon Mon 25-Jul-11 13:49:45

God, you sound miserable OP.

PirateDinosaur Mon 25-Jul-11 14:00:43

"who really cares apart from the person who is pregnant, the family and her friends" -- i.e. the people who will see it on Facebook? How shocking, then, that she should post it on Facebook. Now, you have chosen to have a FB business page. If that does you more good than harm, suck up the fact that once a week you have to very briefly consider stuff in which you are not interested. If it does you more harm than good, then get rid of the page.

MissyBrookes Mon 25-Jul-11 15:18:23

Boring. People should stop whinging about it and start deleting themselves. You have a choice weather or not to advertise your business on there and there is probably someone out there who gets fed up of you, constantly posting "look at my lovely crap, come waste money on it" hmm

Vix1980 Mon 25-Jul-11 21:56:28

Im sorry, I obviously hit a nerve with all the facebook addicts out there !
Sirzy Do tell me how to block the applications, i also keep getting farmville stuff to which i hate.

As for all the people moaning about business pages, Yes my stuff probably does come up on their wall but nobody forced them to join then can leave when they want, but if they joined in the first place its obviously something they're interested in. Things like sales on items you may want i can understand, people obsessions to share what they're up to every second of the day i just don't get it, sorry i may sound old and uptight but i just wonder why certain people feel the need to share every single thing in their life....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now