Talk

Advanced search

To not offer to take friends dc to cinema

(10 Posts)
Booandpops Sun 24-Jul-11 22:58:14

I am supposed to be taking my dc to the cinema in 3d with a small group of friends One friend can't make it and I could offer to take her dc with me as in the past I have babysat him a fair bit but I don't want to because

1. He is badly behaved in the cinema and I would be constantly telling him to sit down and not enjoy myself on what's a rare treat for me and my Ds. My Ds is second born and rarely gets one to one treats with me
2. Last time I baby sat him he called me an idiot and upset my dd
3. Last time I saw him he called another adult friend an idiot in an aggressive manner because she tickled him.
4. He has been swearing in front of my 3 yo who has repeated the words

I just feel bad on his mother who is great and very obliging but presently I find her Ds extremely difficult. Aibu? And should I make an excuse or say nothing

MoonGirl1981 Sun 24-Jul-11 22:59:49

Say nothing.

If it comes up or she asks tell her you want a day alone with your child.

She'll understand that.

worraliberty Sun 24-Jul-11 23:00:29

Has she asked you to take her DC?

I don't understand the last part of #1 though. How will it be a one to one treat if others are going?

AgentZigzag Sun 24-Jul-11 23:02:21

If you've babysat him a fair bit then it's not all one sided, I wouldn't offer if you're really looking forward to treating your DS and his friends.

Would your DS want him there I suppose is the only thing that could change the answer.

skybluepearl Sun 24-Jul-11 23:05:36

say nothing and if she raises the subject can you just nicely explain what happened last time he went to cinema.

Booandpops Sun 24-Jul-11 23:06:25

Usually it would be my dd and Ds going together with me sometimes with other friends but she is on a play date so won't be around So it is rare for him to have just me take him to an event Regardless of other company

My friend has offered to take my Ds and dd to similar events if I can't go in the past. But in the last six months her Ds behaviour has got worse and worse

2rebecca Mon 25-Jul-11 08:57:19

I would say nothing. Other people's kids in the cinema can be a pain. I'll do it if I know they'll do as they are told but otherwise only when it's one of my kids' birthdays and that is the thing they want to do.
Your friend can just take her son another time. She is the one who has decided she has other priorities.

minxofmancunia Mon 25-Jul-11 09:11:46

YANBU, after my experience of taking dds friend to see mamma mia with us at the theatre i will never be offering to do similar ever again. PITA.

Have the time just you and your ds, the other kid will ruin it.

Scholes34 Mon 25-Jul-11 09:14:35

Say nothing, and if asked say you're going on somewhere afterwards and it would not be convenient to have this rather offensive sounding child.

scarletfingernail Mon 25-Jul-11 09:27:17

Say nothing. Just because you've done this in the past does not mean you are obligated to every time you go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now