Talk

Advanced search

To sell a lot of my daughter's toys??

(7 Posts)
sassyminder Sun 24-Jul-11 22:32:01

We are moving homes, so I am having a massive decluter and I am donating and selling a lot of mine and husband's stuff.
Now, my daughter got a lot of very good toys that are in great condition as she doesn't play with them. Most of them are my inlaws gifts, they always exagerate and buy things that she doesn't really like (even though I always advise them on her interests).
Anyway, today she saw me sorting everything up and taking pics and I explained to her that if we managed to sell those toys we could have money to buy things she really likes to play with or go to theatre and places and she is really excited about it as she doesn't care about those toys. She chose the ones she wants to keep.
Thruth is, her new bedroom will be a lot smaller and she will be at school full time from September too, so I dont see the point having so many toys now.
I am not sure if my inlaws will be upset, or what to tell them??

skybluepearl Sun 24-Jul-11 22:35:36

we are doing the same. can you be honest? if not tell them you are rotating toys so different ones are out or that you have lent them to a friend

AgentZigzag Sun 24-Jul-11 22:36:39

If she's happy with selling I can't see any problem.

It's up to you and your DD what you do with them, they don't belong to your PIL any more.

As long as your daughter gets the benefit of the money raised and you are not selling things she really wants to keep to spite your in-laws then I don't think it is a problem.

You can't keep everything.

Do you need to tell your in-laws? Are they things you can say she has outgrown? Would they be happy if you said the money that you raised went into her bank account?

biscuitmad Sun 24-Jul-11 22:49:15

I sold off alot of my little boys toys at a jumble sale. I made £90 and put it away in his savings account. He hasnt even noticed. I found ebay charged so much in fees, that it wasnt worth putting them on their in the first place.

sassyminder Sun 24-Jul-11 22:57:18

They would definitly notice some stuff missing beacuse they like to buy big things to show off (like taking pics of my DD unpacking and putting on facebook _ look what we got for our granddaughter kind of thing_) I know it is ridiculous.
She will definitly tell them we are selling.
I will say she outgrown and we won't have space and will put the money in good use.
If they don't like not my problem, I know it is rude, but I tried to prevent them wasting their money so many times, never worked.
Like when she was determined to give us a wii game when it just came out on the market, and I told her: no thanks, we won't really use it, but she bought it anyway and we never ever turned it on.
I might sell this one as well

sassyminder Sun 24-Jul-11 23:01:22

I don't drive nor have a car, but really want to go to a boot sale which is gonna be impossible as none of my friends are interested to drive me go with me...
I am doing it via gumtree and word of mouth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now