Talk

Advanced search

to sell this gift?

(19 Posts)
nightowlmostly Sun 24-Jul-11 19:25:07

Ok, the situation is this. A client at my firm had an event that all staff were invited to and we all received a sort of goodie bag. In it was an expensive piece of jewellery. Everyone has the same so it's not a personal gift iyswim.

The thing is, I don't love it, or hate it really, it just seems too much to keep if I don't love it. I could get quite a lot of money for it, and was just about to get a loan for a car that I wouldn't need if I sold the gift.

I really can't imagine the client would ever notice I didn't have it, or comment on the fact, it just feels a bit rude to sell it.

What do you think?

supadupapupascupa Sun 24-Jul-11 19:26:23

flog it! what are you waiting for??

FabbyChic Sun 24-Jul-11 19:26:41

Sell it it was not personally bought for you.

AgentZigzag Sun 24-Jul-11 19:27:53

Definately sell it!

You lucky thing smile

schomberg Sun 24-Jul-11 19:28:28

YABU, give it to me instead. I promise you won't get found out if you do!

allhailtheaubergine Sun 24-Jul-11 19:31:34

Sell. Def.

What was it? <nosey>

NurseSunshine Sun 24-Jul-11 19:35:06

Sell. It's not really a gift gift. Maybe wear it once, the next time you see the client then flog it?

MonsterBookOfTysons Sun 24-Jul-11 19:35:22

Sell it, how much is worth <rude git emoticon>

ZillionChocolate Sun 24-Jul-11 19:35:26

Sell it. If you can spare the money after getting your car, maybe buy some more modestly priced jewellery and think of that as being from the client?

nightowlmostly Sun 24-Jul-11 19:35:38

That's what I was thinking fabby, it's not a present that someone has put time and effort into choosing and doesn't suit me if I'm honest otherwise I'd keep the bloody thing!

It was just such a nice gesture it feels ungrateful to sell it, but I do appreciate it and will do so even more if it turns into something I really want.

Thanks all, it seems unanimous, (schomberg excepted!).

Karstan Sun 24-Jul-11 19:39:20

Could selling it highlight that it might be something that you'd have to declare to the taxman?

nightowlmostly Sun 24-Jul-11 19:40:05

Yes zillion, was thinking of buying something small that I really like as well as putting it towards the car.

It's worth £2500, the rest of the car will be paid for with what I get for my current car.

It's a watch. It's nice but not my style.

zukiecat Sun 24-Jul-11 19:41:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scottishmummy Sun 24-Jul-11 19:43:13

sell it.no point unused in a box

BeerTricksPotter Sun 24-Jul-11 19:45:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

memphis83 Sun 24-Jul-11 19:47:32

Sell it and if she ever comments say you dont wear it to work, only keep it for best grin

GwendolineMaryLacey Sun 24-Jul-11 19:47:41

I want your job. All I get is grief and thank you letters from schoolkids grin

ShoutyHamster Sun 24-Jul-11 20:04:35

Sell it! If they ever ask, you lost it. And were heartbroken.

You may find that if you say that they would even get you a replacement grin

Bruum bruum!

nightowlmostly Sun 24-Jul-11 20:06:34

Thanks all, will sell and not feel bad. The money is just so much more use to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now