Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To want DH to STOP looking at his laptop and look at me!

(16 Posts)
salehurst Sun 24-Jul-11 19:25:05

OK, I admit I'm tired, but DH is doing my head in!

Earlier today, a woman nearly drove into me on the way back from the supermarket, I felt really shaken. Told DH when I got in, 'Oh,' he said, not looking up from his laptop.
Teatime, I asked him if he wanted a boiled egg. 'No,' he says, not looking up from his laptop. Sat down at the table, 'Don't I get a boiled egg?' he asks.

Just now, trying to talk about plans for the holiday, and he's just answering me with monosyllables and looking at bloody ebay. So I've told him I am fed up with trying to talk to him, and him not even making the effort to look at me.

And his response: he's gone out in a strop because I am nagging, and I am unreasonable as I'm only saying this because I'm tired.

AgentZigzag Sun 24-Jul-11 19:33:43

I've found saying something before you talk, to get their attention, can help.

So bellow say their name three times and make sure they're looking up at you before you speak.

He sounds totally absorbed by whatever he's doing, which is easy to do if you're trying to switch off, but it is incredibly rude and dismissive of you which is not on.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sun 24-Jul-11 19:34:53

Wait till he has his fingers on the keyboard, typing busily... then shut the lid HARD.

AgentZigzag Sun 24-Jul-11 19:36:32

Yes, ignore what I said and follow Lyings much more direct and effective approach grin

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sun 24-Jul-11 19:37:36

... and if you can get him to 'disrobe', so much the better. wink

AnnaBegins Sun 24-Jul-11 19:43:41

Are you me?! I have exactly the same problem, saying his name first works, or get him to look at you before talking to him, physically turn his head towards you (nicely!) if you have to smile if all fails, then oh well, he gets no boiled egg and it's his own fault! It is very rude though, I don't like it at all.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Sun 24-Jul-11 19:47:47

Turn the broadband off and put the box somewhere he can't find it

AngryFeet Sun 24-Jul-11 19:49:33

Take your clothes off - that always does it ;)

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sun 24-Jul-11 19:50:07

A cup of sugary coffee also works wonders..... I found that out by mistake. blush

AngryFeet Sun 24-Jul-11 19:50:31

Anyway this is the classic men can't do two things at once. Honestly my DH is the same. They cannot type and talk at the same time. Imbeciles....

cat64 Sun 24-Jul-11 19:59:13

Message withdrawn

ladyGeraldine Sun 24-Jul-11 21:04:53

I agree turn the internet off and leave him a note by the switch, saying we need to talk.

Grevling Mon 25-Jul-11 00:30:34

Have you tried Skyping him?

Kiwiinkits Mon 25-Jul-11 05:20:54

If you think he's bad with a laptop, thank your lucky stars you don't have an i-pad. Apple Corporation has a LOT to answer for.

Piggles Mon 25-Jul-11 09:41:55

Oh dear, this could be me blush

If I am absorbed in something then my focus is absolute, and someone asking me a question will likely get a Mmm-hmm response. I don't do it to be rude and I'm not deliberately ignoring. I'm vaguely aware of being spoken to, but none of the info is really making it to me, and what I'm doing is just taking up all my focus so if the 'intruding' question is not repeated or 'forced' onto me then I happily let it slip away almost without realising I'm doing it.

DH has learned that if he wants to ask me something he has to get my attention before he starts saying anything relevant - saying my name loudly until I look up works, but he prefers to come and touch me - which gets my attention immediately in a way that talking to me doesn't.

I don't blame other people for getting annoyed with me though and certainly wouldn't strop off because my rudeness has upset someone else.

mrsscoob Mon 25-Jul-11 12:54:31

I feel your pain, I get no reaction when I speak to him, I would be grateful for a monosyllable or a mmmm most of the time sad

OK I can kind of understand the holiday thing if he is doing something but not reacting when you have almost had a car accident! That is awful.

You have every right to be upset and YANBU smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now