Talk

Advanced search

To think the builders should give it a rest on Sunday.

(17 Posts)
Ivortheengine8 Sun 24-Jul-11 09:50:05

We live in a flat at the moment and they are ripping out the flat downstairs. It literally sounds as if it is happening in our place. We have drilling,banging etc all week so loud, often I can't hear myself speak.

Now they have started again this morning. It's DH's day off FGS and being 27 weeks pregnant with a toddler I am really missing my afternoon naps! sad

Did there not used to be a law about making noise on Sunday?
Ok, I know they have to get it done in the week but on Sunday, it doesnt seem fair to be making so much noise.

catgirl1976 Sun 24-Jul-11 09:54:02

Don't know what the law is but YANBU. Google it and tell them to pack it in! Then go back to bed for a nice nap

catgirl1976 Sun 24-Jul-11 09:55:34

A quick look on google suggest the law is not on your side... but maybe tell them about the pg and toddler card and see if something can be done sad

babybarrister Sun 24-Jul-11 09:55:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ivortheengine8 Sun 24-Jul-11 09:57:39

Well thanks for looking Cat anyway. I'm sure there used to be when I was young sad
Baby, I will have a look again then.

catgirl1976 Sun 24-Jul-11 09:59:55

It seems to vary by council - try your local councils website and see if they have info. Hope you find something

Andrewofgg Sun 24-Jul-11 15:23:02

No babybarrister there is no such law - can you cite one? Nor is it up to the council unless the council is the landlord.

babybarrister Sun 24-Jul-11 16:21:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SquidgyBiscuits Sun 24-Jul-11 16:24:39

Can you not go out?

We do all our diy and building work on Sundays, as it is the only day we can physically do it. Complaining that it disturbs your afternoon nap is a bit OTT really.

If the local council has no bylaw in place, then they aren't breaking any rules.

I never understand why Sundays are so sacred to people in terms of noise, but people can do whatever they like on any other day?? confused

Dancergirl Sun 24-Jul-11 16:29:25

I do feel for you, but from the builder's point of view it's fantastic they work so hard. And they'll get the job done quicker!

We're having building work done at the moment and our builders wouldn't dream of working on Sat or Sun. Hence it's taking bloody ages to finish the bathroom.

Sirzy Sun 24-Jul-11 16:29:57

If they have a job to do then why should the day matter? If people work Monday - Friday often the weekend is the best time to do bits

Ambergambler Sun 24-Jul-11 17:11:35

I think the OP's point is less about Sunday itself, rather that they are working a 7 day week and she would appreciate one day without the continuous racket. If I had read correctly blush I fully agree as I have a building site next door, but also see both sides as my family are builders. A job to be done is fair, but so is due consideration. Maybe just ask the site foreman if the 7 days is an ongoing thing OP? May just be they needed certains things done by Monday morning for a floor to be laid or something.

Ivortheengine8 Sun 24-Jul-11 19:18:55

I'm sorry I must be really old fashioned, but I thought that saturday and Sunday in the UK was called a weekend ie - days of rest. I know things have changed a lot but for people to not even recognise Sunday anymore as a holiday/day of rest I find pretty sad.
I am not really religious,nor do I attend church on a Sunday now but I find it quite strange how our country has changed in attitude so much towards it.
Anyway, that is sort of beside the point. DH has his weekend on a Staurday and Sunday. Why should he not be allowed to enjoy a peaceful time in his own home on the two days he has off?

Thats true Amber, it might not be long term, It will probably be a few weeks tbh, but now I have been sucked into a stray argument about the weekend grin

What if people had a job to do every weekend next door to the others of you who think it's fine?
What if they decided to do all their jobs at night time?
Do you all work all week and not want a bit of peace at the weekend?

Would that still be ok with you?

valiumredhead Sun 24-Jul-11 19:22:12

We had builders in for 6 months and they worked weekends as well - all we could do is apologise to the neighbours and give them a time frame of when the job would be done. YABU

Ivortheengine8 Sun 24-Jul-11 19:24:42

Well at least you apologised valium and they were aware that you were carrying out work - we had no idea and no one has said anything to us.

Sirzy Sun 24-Jul-11 19:26:49

As far as I am concerned whatever day they want to do the work is fine as long as it doesn't go on to an unreasonable time at night (which is covered by the law)

My neighbour works mon - friday and spends the weekends pottering doing jobs at his house, often noisy jobs. Its his free time and its not up to me to dictate how he spends it.

We have had work done on the house where they have worked the weekends, its never crossed my mind for this not to happen tbh!

Ambergambler Mon 25-Jul-11 11:32:58

I used to live next door to a genuinely horrible old woman. She would hoover her bedroom, the other side of the wall from both mine and DS's (He was 3 at the time) at 6.30am on a Sunday morning.....

On the fourth week, I got up at 6am and hoovered mine. It never happened again grin

Sometimes people are unaware how much noise travels. In other cases they like to be awkward... She was the latter. I have never been so glad to move house! Her gc are really lovely too, saw one of them recently outside the village shop, yelling at his mate (both 11) to 'get back here you effing c**t' Charmer shock

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: