Talk

Advanced search

To not be surprised that the Norway mass murderer is not being described with terms such as 'Christian Fundamantalist', 'Terrorist' of 'Fanatical Christian'...

(78 Posts)
LDNmummy Sat 23-Jul-11 20:36:16

.. even though that is exactly the terminology they would be using had it been a Muslim gunman?

I actually sought out the Daily Fail today to see what Its usual readership would have to say about this and was not surprised by the comments.

Somehow a massive focus on Islam as if it is still the fault of Muslim people, and plenty of denial of this man having done this for conservative right wing and CHRISTIAN driven fundamentalist reasoning.

I have seen the terms in the title mentioned a few times in the press but to nowhere near the extent they would have been used had this been a Muslim gunman.

Just my opinion.

worraliberty Sat 23-Jul-11 20:37:30

BBC news are using the word terrorist

EuphemiaMcGonagall Sat 23-Jul-11 20:38:47

BBC Radio news this morning called him a "right-wing Christian fundamentalist".

LowLevelWhiiingeing Sat 23-Jul-11 20:39:32

um, he is being called all those things confused

Empusa Sat 23-Jul-11 20:40:00

I know someone on another site had seen a live news broadcast where the presenter said, when they heard that it wasn't Muslim extremists, "oh so it's not terrorism then?"

hmm

Tortington Sat 23-Jul-11 20:40:30

yip bbc christian terrorist

mumblechum1 Sat 23-Jul-11 20:40:49

I heard him being described as a Christian extremist on the radio this am.

Twould be nice to stick all the nutty muslims and nutty Christians on an island together and let them slug it out, leaving the rest of us in peace.

(Only the nutty ones, not the normal ones.)

fluffles Sat 23-Jul-11 20:42:00

i've heard in the media:
right-wing
fundamental christian

and talk about fascism and neo-nazis...

though the saturday papers missed the breaking news and had jihadist speculation.

LDNmummy Sat 23-Jul-11 20:42:45

Yes I have seen that too, but not to the extent it is used when it is bandied about against Muslim's.

Also, I think it is the fact that people are still finding a way to divert from that on discussion boards and in comments online that is making me start this thread.

More so than the press not using these terms so much, it is flabbergasting that so many want to deny this mans Terrorist and right wing activities as being driven by his Christian beliefs IYSWIM.

Sorry, should have been clearer in OP.

HarperSeven Sat 23-Jul-11 20:43:23

LDNmummy - were you in london for 7.7? Makes me angry to hear anyone rush to the defence of the feelings of Muslim extremists.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Sat 23-Jul-11 20:43:37

He is being called all those things on sky news ....

LDNmummy Sat 23-Jul-11 20:46:13

Sorry I should have been clearer, not so much talking about the press, but more the general publics reactions.

Although I do think the press has not used the terms as pressingly as would have been the case had this been a Muslim gunman.

Empusa that is what I mean. And to think that came from a journalistic professional live on air.

LDNmummy Sat 23-Jul-11 20:47:11

Umm... Yes, because that is what I am doing Harper hmm

methodsandmaterials Sat 23-Jul-11 20:47:17

harper, In what way is the OP defending Muslim extremists?

MillyR Sat 23-Jul-11 20:50:54

I think that Christian and Right wing extremism is being fuelled by the media constantly negatively reporting issues about Islam, and reporting stories with an Islamic connection when really there is none - the story about the woman prevented from breastfeeding, or the toddler passport photo story for example.

LDNmummy Sat 23-Jul-11 20:51:19

Oh and yes I was in London, my then partner was two trains behind the one that exploded in Kings Cross.

JumpOnIt Sat 23-Jul-11 20:57:24

I think it has been mentioned quite a bit actually. In every article I have read anyway. But then, I have to admit that this train of thought wouldn't have even crossed my mind if you hadn't brought it up.

magicmummy1 Sat 23-Jul-11 21:00:35

YANBU

There would have been loads more media fuss about the religious angle if the killer had been Muslim. I have long felt that christian fundamentalists are equally alarming.

HarperSeven Sat 23-Jul-11 21:07:27

LDNmummy - then given your proximity with the tragedy I find your post even weirder. Your concern is misguided and ignorant, given that many press releases have in fact referred to the incident using the terms you say haven't been used.

Toughasoldboots Sat 23-Jul-11 21:07:37

I can't get worked up about this, I lump all religious fanatics together and saw this one being described as 'Christian fundamentalist' on a lot of websites.

Goodynuff Sat 23-Jul-11 21:08:07

Over here in Canada he is being refered to as "white, nordic looking, and blond" hmm also "right-wing Christian extremist, far right conservative, Christian fanatical fundamentalist" and such.
To be fair, until he was spotted, the news anchor kept asking if it had to do with the cartoons of Mohammed, or if it was Islamic terrorists.
I think the news was ready to accept the idea of muslim terrorists until proven otherwise, iyswim?

LDNmummy Sat 23-Jul-11 21:09:44

Thats exactly my view magicmummy, I choose not to be religious for that reason. It is scary what people can do (and have done) in the name of ANY religion.

HarperSeven Sat 23-Jul-11 21:11:33

Well, given the incidence of terrorist attacks perpetrated by Muslim fundamentalists, I think that's a reasonable assumption to make. I'm beyond giving jihadis the benefit of the doubt. So is the world press.

forehead Sat 23-Jul-11 21:11:35

What pissed me off, is that on hearing of the killings had already started to speculate that this was the work of Muslims.
I hate fundamentalist of ANY religion
When you hear things like this you wonder what god he was actually serving.

forehead Sat 23-Jul-11 21:14:49

Dont agree with you HarperSeven. I've heard of people who were abused yesterday, because people thought that they were Muslims and thereforeb blamed them for the events in Norway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now