Talk

Advanced search

....to think the term 'junkie' is hugely offensive and ignorant....

(197 Posts)
InFlames Sat 23-Jul-11 20:21:11

...following on from the Amy Winehouse thread...this will either take off or I'll be slammed for bad nettiquette won't I?

I think the term 'junkies' is really offensive. Would you refer to people experiencing psychosis or schizophrenia as 'psychos'?

AIBU?

catgirl1976 Sat 23-Jul-11 20:22:13

[GRIN] YANBU....................but I think you knew I thought that already smile

TidyDancer Sat 23-Jul-11 20:22:14

I'm not sure. I don't feel that psychosis is entirely comparable to drug addiction though.

controlleddemolition Sat 23-Jul-11 20:23:04

I think this was taken up on the thread, why the need for another one?

FWIW, I wouldn't use 'junkie' but I think I consider it utterly shocking in the way I find racist or homophobic terms to be. I don't know why though, feel free to flame me.

catgirl1976 Sat 23-Jul-11 20:23:11

Not entirely perhaps Tidy. But both are illnesses

BornInAfrica Sat 23-Jul-11 20:24:38

Oh do grow up inflames - there really is no need for this unless, of course <<<gasp! Shock! Horror!>>> you're attention seeking?

InFlames Sat 23-Jul-11 20:24:49

No you're right tidydance - different aetiology, prognosis and treatments. But wonder if the terms are used in similarly offensive / ignorant ways?

DontCallMePeanut Sat 23-Jul-11 20:24:55

YANBU! grin

cookcleanerchaufferetc Sat 23-Jul-11 20:25:37

People choose to take drugs, people do not choose to suffer from schizophrenia. Big difference.

Andrewofgg Sat 23-Jul-11 20:25:40

No; drug addiction, apart from the desperately unfortunate people who are born addicted, is self-inflicted. It is not an illness.

TidyDancer Sat 23-Jul-11 20:26:04

Yes of course they are. But when you're comparing them in terms of how offensive the slang terms are, you really have to look at how the situations occured. Psychosis comes about in a totally different way than drug addiction does. The suffering itself isn't a choice, but in the majority of cases, it is a choice to take drugs in the first place.

InFlames Sat 23-Jul-11 20:26:45

It was pointed out, reasonably, that the Amy Winehouse thread was maybe not the best place for this discussion. I started another one in response to this.

borninafrica do feel free to share the same views you've spouted elsewhere and see how many people think your use of certain words is acceptable.

catgirl1976 Sat 23-Jul-11 20:26:48

cookcleaner people DO choose to take drugs. They do not choose to become addicted to drugs. The two are not mutually exclusive. Lots of people take drugs without becoming drug addicts, just like lots of people drink alchohol without becoming alcholics

GypsyMoth Sat 23-Jul-11 20:26:49

not an illness,i agree

floosiemcwoosie Sat 23-Jul-11 20:26:53

They are labels. Labels lead to stereotyping, which leads to de humanising which leads to oppression.

Language is a very powerful thing.

Lady1nTheRadiator Sat 23-Jul-11 20:27:01

Straw man. YABU.

peggotty Sat 23-Jul-11 20:27:12

I don't know. My sister who is an alcoholic (not drank for years though) will use the phrase 'alchies'. There is very little sympathy or understanding of addiction.

controlleddemolition Sat 23-Jul-11 20:27:16

Would you refer to people experiencing psychosis or schizophrenia as 'psychos'?

No. Primarily because 'psycho' is short for psycopath, not for someone who is suffering from psychosis or schizophrenia. What a strange thing to say OP. Do you think of those people as psychopaths?

InFlames Sat 23-Jul-11 20:27:40

What about drug induced psychosis, which can be caused by cannabis among other drugs and can, and does, develop into schizophrenia?

Wallissimpson Sat 23-Jul-11 20:27:49

Taking drugs is a choice.

Psychotic illness is not.

LineRunner Sat 23-Jul-11 20:28:20

It's an offensive term, yes.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Sat 23-Jul-11 20:28:37

People choose to take drugs ... What happens then is a consequence of their initial choice. Their choice. The path they chose to take.

People do not choose to suffer from schizophrenia.

catgirl1976 Sat 23-Jul-11 20:28:53

Again - taking drugs is a choice. Becoming addicted to drugs is not a choice.

scottishmummy Sat 23-Jul-11 20:29:14

casual use of derisory terms is stigmatising and dehumanising
the junkie becomes less person somehow and a catch all label and associations applied.and yes the mental health parallels are there too

cookcleanerchaufferetc Sat 23-Jul-11 20:29:22

But if you don't take drugs you won't become addicted.

Funny that ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now