Talk

Advanced search

to think people who use their phones while driving should be in a minor accident to teach them a lesson

(13 Posts)

Nothing major, just a small accident like a rear end shunt with a small bit of whiplash or, come off the road and clip a bollard type affair. Just to teach them how much of an impact even such a small prang can have on their lives let alone a life affecting major smash.

I'm not advocating anyone getting hurt to any great degree but I'm getting pissed off with seeing women driving 4x4's zipping in and out of lanes on major roads without a care in the road jabbering away on mobile phones or even worse texting, all the while with the kids in the back seats! It makes my blood run cold.

So flame me all you will, but AIBU.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Sat 23-Jul-11 18:46:20

Hardly fair on the other person involved in the accident, is it? Unless you are hoping that two people on mobiles will bang into each other?

And fwiw, I see far more men on mobile phones than I do women. Men in work vans are the worst. I can't remember the last time I passed a work van and if it was a male driver, he wasn't on his mobile! Close second are suited men in expensive cars. Always see them on their mobiles.

I even saw a bloody bus driver on a mobile once! shock

Ephiny Sat 23-Jul-11 18:51:25

Wouldn't wish an accident on anyone, but I do hate seeing people do this.

I see at least as many men as women using phones while driving btw, don't think it's particularly a gender issue. It's wrong and stupid whoever does it.

Martha85 Sat 23-Jul-11 18:52:01

Unfortunately I don't think even an accident would deter some people. It might until they had recovered from their injuries but then they would forget and go back to their old ways. I definitely think their should be higher penalties for using a mobile while driving and any other type of dangerous driving.

YANBU, I think something has to be done to make people realise how careless they are being.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyOfTheManor Sat 23-Jul-11 18:54:26

Urm what about the twats who aren't driving 4x4s and aren't women...? Would you allow them to talk on their phones without a cursing them with death?

Bearcat Sat 23-Jul-11 19:01:03

My friends 17 year old daughter was killed in an RTA 2.5 years ago when the 17 year old lad who was giving her a lift home from her coffee shop job and was texting whilst driving. He had minor injuries, she was resuscitated at the side of the road and died 2 days later on a neuro intensive care unit.
He went to prison.
Our friends and their son were left devastated.

griphook Sat 23-Jul-11 19:10:52

yanbu but obly with other twats that drive while on the phone.

watch a programme the other day and a woman hit a girl while driving and took the time to delete the call history while this girl lay there potentially dying, was in intensive care for days and two years later still can not work, I reckon, that whatever the bitch has fianaically she shoyld have to give to her victim.

griphook Sat 23-Jul-11 19:11:51

*only

Andrewofgg Sat 23-Jul-11 19:47:09

It should lead to mandatory disqualification, not to mere points.

Meglet Sat 23-Jul-11 19:55:31

Yes, disqualification if caught (even once). Or just chop their bloody hands off.

No phone call is so important that it can't wait for a few minutes until a junction / lay-by.

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 23-Jul-11 20:28:05

YANBU, rather than an accident though which could hurt others I think it should be an instant 12 month ban.

mumzy Sun 24-Jul-11 15:37:55

The police could have field day fining all the motorists on their mobbys and it'll help fill up the public coffers. When I'm driving every other motorists is on their mobbys so yes the should target these people more rather than the driver whose accidentally strayed into a blimming bus lane

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now