Talk

Advanced search

to think that "upcycling vintage fabric"

(36 Posts)
purplepidjin Sat 23-Jul-11 16:54:23

basically means "buying stuff in the charity shop and turning it into something else"??

I just got a bright pink double sheet, and will be using it to line a toddler dress. It's a gorgeous colour, and far less faff to trawl the 4-5 local charity shops than faff into town to get to the proper fabric shop (which I also use). I'm planning on selling the dress as I'm trying to start my own business.

Having done my market research browsed lots of websites (not on here) lots of brands claim to be eco-friendly because they upcycle vintage fabric. AIBU to think I'm doing the same?

I probably am, there's most likely a whole ungooglable source of eco-friendly, biodiversely farmed, herbally dyed in pretty colours, fairly traded, organic cotton/hemp/bamboo at reasonable prices that I simply can't find hmm

Flisspaps Sat 23-Jul-11 17:45:26

YANBU, that's what I take it to mean!

fluffles Sat 23-Jul-11 17:47:24

well... no YANBU but the phrases 'upcycling' and 'downcycling' are useful as a lot of 'recycling' is actually 'downcycling' - things becoming lower value and lower quality through their lifespan and 'upcycling' is a much better thing to do - the difference between you making that sheet into a lovely dress, or somebody else cutting it up for dusters.

IsItMeOr Sat 23-Jul-11 17:51:35

What a great idea. YANBU, obviously smile

Karstan Sat 23-Jul-11 17:55:52

I've bought new size 22 brushed cotton pyjama pants before to use as lining because it was cheaper than just buying fabric. Is there a word for when you buy something new and then turn it into something else? grin

purplepidjin Sat 23-Jul-11 17:58:06

haha, I was fully prepared for a pasting on here, thanks!

I now have one turquoise corduroy dress with stripy lining won in an auction for Count the Kicks, and one with a pink lining for sale. Now to tackle the bandana bib for the SANDS auction and make a few to sell.

Hmm, wonder why I don't make much profit yet blush

purplepidjin Sat 23-Jul-11 17:59:02

Ooh, Karstan, I did that! Gorgeous pink ones with butterflies on. Mine were another charity shop bargaing though...

I think it's just recycling?

Mandy2003 Sat 23-Jul-11 21:29:05

Karstan - I think it's called dressmaking grin

Karstan Sat 23-Jul-11 21:31:57

Dressmaking surely is taking fabric and turning it into something else, I was just pondering if there was a word for cutting up brand new items of clothing because it was more economical than buying the fabric alone. Maybe I need to invent a word grin

PonceyMcPonce Sat 23-Jul-11 21:54:51

Adding value.

jasper Sat 23-Jul-11 22:11:34

sounds lovely but could you actually turn a profit doing this?

Sl1nkyMalinki Sat 23-Jul-11 22:23:38

I'm going to point this out to my mum who has recently taken up dressmaking after a 20 year gap and she can't belive the price of fabric! Neither of us had considered "upcycling" from charity shops blush

purplepidjin Sun 24-Jul-11 07:14:26

Jasper, it adds about 30% to the price of the item, which is why I was sceptical! Lesson learned, I shall make sure I advertise my "upcycling" skills accordingly wink

I bought a double fitted sheet for £2.50 - 2m of fabric with a bit of unpicking. Polycotton in my local shop is £2.99 per m...

DillyTante Sun 24-Jul-11 08:14:15

It's a great idea but with two young kids and a part time job I find it much easier to shop online than in charity shops. Less satisfying though sad

purplepidjin Sun 24-Jul-11 09:34:07

I work shifts which gives me handy weekdays to shop, have no kids to get in the way of sewing, and don't trust buying fabric online in case I get it wrong!

I also read a few threads on here where parents wanted plain bright colours in practical styles (disclaimer, they were threads started by other people, I lurk but don't contribute <paranoid>)

TheMonster Sun 24-Jul-11 09:36:21

I bought some wonderful unused 70s bedsheets at a car boot sale a few years with the idea of making them into something new. It's a fabulous idea.

purplepidjin Sun 24-Jul-11 09:45:49

Ooh, what did you/will you make, bodyof? <Nosy>

TheMonster Sun 24-Jul-11 09:50:25

I've no idea!!! I just liked the material. I've never made anything before.

ReshapeWhileDamp Sun 24-Jul-11 09:58:44

I love how this AIBU post has become a Craft thread by stealth! grin

purplepidjin Sun 24-Jul-11 10:04:22

BodyOf, polycotton makes good kids dresses, rompers for babies, possibly curtains for a small window although you'll get sun bleaching after a few years

Reshape, I'm not very good at BU I tend to maintain my sense of humour and repel buns sad

TheMonster Sun 24-Jul-11 10:55:27

That's a bit ambitious for me. I was thinking more of a tablecloth blush

purplepidjin Sun 24-Jul-11 11:00:01

See, I'd have no use for a tablecloth. A throw for the sofa would be nice? Actually, my sofas are currently covered with cheap primark curtains, no sewing required, with kingsized flat sheets on the backs...

ProcrastinatorGeneral Sun 24-Jul-11 12:38:15

Don't repel buns, eat them wink

purplepidjin Sun 24-Jul-11 14:11:48

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm buns. Chocolate eclairs, currant, cupcakes...

Can you tell I'm stuck at work and forgot my lunch?! On the plus side it's a quiet day so I've made fluffy baby bootees <bugger forgot my button box>

ProcrastinatorGeneral Sun 24-Jul-11 14:51:22

I am staying true to my name, and doing bugger all productivegrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now