Talk

Advanced search

to wish people here were less defensive?

(9 Posts)
Laquitar Sat 23-Jul-11 15:47:08

I am not talking defensive to nasty posters or in nasty threads (benefits, disabilities etc) - in those sort of threads i have told people to shut up too.

But in nice threads when someone says that she goes holidays, or she has sex, or earn above £15,000 or doesn't cry 24/7 someone comes and calls the poster 'smug'.

I think the result is that non-miserable posters dont bother to post. Personally i like variety, i like the different type of people on mn and i feel that i'm learning something from everybody so i like reading everybody's posts even those who shop in Paris, those who only use F&B, or those who earn 200k.

AIBU?

LineRunner Sat 23-Jul-11 15:50:00

The British like humility.

Hammy02 Sat 23-Jul-11 15:55:31

YANBU. I hardly post anymore as people just pounce on anything deemed remotely against the grain.

OpinionatedPlusSprogs Sat 23-Jul-11 15:57:26

What's F&B? I like a good nose into other peoples lives, even if they are better than mine. Depressing how people think the worst all the time so YANBU.

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Sat 23-Jul-11 16:04:27

I agree, Laquitar. I think it's horrible when someone obviously takes ages typing out a problem or asking for advice, only for the first few replies to be some snide comment or a remark about the OP's spelling. Very disheartening when you may not have someone in RL to talk to or just need to sound off.

Laquitar Sat 23-Jul-11 16:05:23

I'm nosy too opinionated

F&B is paint - a regular poster swears by it. We cant all be 'dulux types'. grin Variety is good.

Hammy i dont know you but thats sad. I wish everybody was posting without worrying that she will be accused.

catgirl1976 Sat 23-Jul-11 18:42:00

I agree! It does seem if anyone is happy about something, enjoys something or is seen to be succesful at something, they get a pasting. I think it is horrible when it is to do with thier children as well - you may not send your small children to french or ballet or whatever but it seems horrible when people get attacked for stuff like that.

I have noticed a lot of inverted snobbery on the site as well.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 23-Jul-11 19:33:35

Inverted snobbery, sour grapes, verbal abuse and snarking... pretty good working definition of an internet message board grin Moving swiftly on.... did I tell you about my brand new car!!?

onagar Sat 23-Jul-11 20:12:44

In a similar way my DP was explaining to me last night that if your kids do well at something it's not the done thing to post about it.

Why not? I love hearing good news - especially when it's to do with kids. If your dc do the simplest thing you want to stop people in the street and tell them don't you. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now