Talk

Advanced search

tax credits advice please? AIBU to consider this and throw everything away...

(25 Posts)
altinkum Sat 23-Jul-11 10:00:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FabbyChic Sat 23-Jul-11 10:02:22

You have to factor in the cleaning job wage and the business wage, it is combined income. Why not look at an online calculator to see what you would be entitled to.

altinkum Sat 23-Jul-11 10:05:14

herbietea Sat 23-Jul-11 10:06:31

Message withdrawn

LineRunner Sat 23-Jul-11 10:08:55

There is an online calcaulator on the website that you can input all your details into and it will give you a figure for the rest of the tax year.

Why don't you try it and see if it's any use?

I'd be interested because I've just tried it and I am a bit confused but you may be better at these things than me. Or is it just a crap website?

DaisySteiner Sat 23-Jul-11 10:09:11

Your friend is talking bollocks, both your incomes regardless of how many hours you work.

What you will get will depend on how many children you have, whether any of your are disabled, childcare costs and your income. Your best bet is to check the HMRC website or entitled to.

NearlySpring Sat 23-Jul-11 10:10:12

Yes, you need to declare it to tax credits. The magic 16 hours is the number of hours you must work before being entitled to working tax credit, however this is irrelevent as your claim will be a joint claim with your dh and he earns too and presumably works over 16 hours a week.

I doubt you'd be entitled to anything if he's on over 30k plus your 15 hours a week plus income from your cleaning job.

Call them, takes a few minutes and they'll give you an estimate. But it will be next to nothing if anything.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 23-Jul-11 10:10:19

The Turn 2 Us Benefits Checker is a good way to run a 'what if' if you're not sure what you're entitled to.

Ambergambler Sat 23-Jul-11 10:12:08

It does have to be declared. Friend is giving very bad advice. They are getting confused with 16 hours being the minimum number of hours you need to be working in order to get working tax credits. I believe this is due to change to 24 soon?
You must declare all earnings or you could get into a lot of trouble. Are you exempt from NI in self employment from your own business? You shouldn't have to pay tax / ni on cleaning job, but it depends on your income from self employmant if you will be taxed on your combined income.
You need to estimate your annual income, so cleaning plus self employment added to DH's income. This should get the calculator to tell you the right amounts. The stupid method of basing Tax Credits on the previous year causes a great deal of confusion, I think.

altinkum Sat 23-Jul-11 10:14:47

Nagini Sat 23-Jul-11 10:18:05

if you earn over 40 grand combined I don't think you'll get a bean.

I've got 2 DCs and childcare costs we get nothing this year.

The letter said £50K was the limit but that was an error.

altinkum Sat 23-Jul-11 10:23:30

DaisySteiner Sat 23-Jul-11 10:24:37

If you have 4 children then you may well get something. However, if their parents are getting benefits (including tax credits) for them then you may not be able to claim for them as they're already on somebody else's claim if you see what I mean.

SkelleyBones Sat 23-Jul-11 11:50:45

I would talk to SS and tell them it would be costing them £600 a week to have those children in foster care so what can they do to help your finances, you shouldn't have to be taking on a cleaning job to make ends meet.

Littlefish Sat 23-Jul-11 11:59:36

Why won't your sister sign the benefits over to you. isn't she committing fraud by claiming them if they chidden are not living with her?

lovesicecream Sat 23-Jul-11 12:32:23

If you were on your own and getting income support you can work upto 16 hours but your not so it isn't applicable to you, you would have to add togeather your cleaning wage , oh 's income and any profits you receive from your business so tax credits are unlikely , maybe a very small amount if anything!

LiegeAndLief Sat 23-Jul-11 12:34:09

We have just had ours withdrawn because our combined income has gone over £40,000 (and the limit has been lowered from £66,000). I work 10 hours a week.

Also, they will ask you to estimate your income for next year, but if it actually comes in at over £40,000 when you have all P60 / tax returns etc I believe you will have to pay any TC you claimed back (they are asking us for the few months of this tax year that they have already paid us).

ebbandflow Sat 23-Jul-11 13:07:33

The online calculator is accurate, I can't imagine you being entitled to that much from tax credits-£50 per month prob about right.

altinkum Sat 23-Jul-11 13:12:58

altinkum Sat 23-Jul-11 13:17:18

SkelleyBones Sat 23-Jul-11 13:18:16

Fair enough.

ebbandflow Sat 23-Jul-11 13:28:18

Sounds like you have got a lot on your plate-it is great that you are helping your sister out. The hours that you are going to work 5-8 don't sound that compatible with family time though. Difficult decision to make I would have thought.

altinkum Sat 23-Jul-11 13:38:15

ebbandflow Sat 23-Jul-11 14:21:15

Wow altinkum I am in awe! Go for it then. smile

DoMeDon Sat 23-Jul-11 14:27:54

You have to declare all income but I think you are not entitled to working tax credit if you work less than 16 hours per week. For example a single mum working less than 16 hours would not be entitled to WTC. I think your DH would be first applicant and entitled to the tax credits and yours would be supplemenatry family income iyswim.

use their online calculator - it is very good and you can put in all different variables. having said that I found the helpline people very friendly. You could try calling them and aksing what you would be entitled to under certain circumstances - explain you are not sure what you will be earning and are currently deciding so just want to know whether you will be entitled and what to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now