Talk

Advanced search

to suggest anybody who gave their kid's teacher home grown vegetables...

(158 Posts)
thisfantasticvoyage Sat 23-Jul-11 09:07:08

as an end of year present or any of the other pointless shite the Guardian recommended recently is basically...a knobber?

cumbria81 Sat 23-Jul-11 09:07:52

YANBU!

Northernlurker Sat 23-Jul-11 09:11:42

YABU. I would love it if somebody gave me vegetables. As long as it wasn't beetroot. Everybody knows beetroot is an insult.

lisianthus Sat 23-Jul-11 09:12:00

I'd rather like to be given home grown vegetables. Useful, yummy and they don't sit about needing to be dusted. What were the other options?

ProfYaffle Sat 23-Jul-11 09:12:43

Northern - I think courgettes are a bigger insult aren't they?

lisianthus Sat 23-Jul-11 09:12:47

Good point northernlurker. I like beetroot, but Brussels sprouts are nasty.

NorksAreMessy Sat 23-Jul-11 09:13:57

YABU

What a strange thread

Kladdkaka Sat 23-Jul-11 09:14:06

We have 2 giant pear trees in our garden, my daughter's teachers keep asking her if they've started falling yet. I think they'd be more than happy to make do with a bag of spuds.

MumblingRagDoll Sat 23-Jul-11 09:14:48

YABU ...what's wrong with home grown vegetables? They're much nicer than supermarket ones and not everyone has the time to grow them...least of all busy teachers. Personally I think people who judge others gifts are knobbers.

Northernlurker Sat 23-Jul-11 09:16:03

Courgettes are only insulting if you give many,many small ones thus displaying you are a bad grower who has a glut.

Onions are always welcome (unless mouldy)

You can get a long way with someone with a nice bunch of carrots.

YABU that would be a lovely present! Better than some dubious smelling body lotion/bath foam combo surely??

altinkum Sat 23-Jul-11 09:17:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BellaBearisWideAwake Sat 23-Jul-11 09:17:37

I'd love that as a present! YABU.

bigTillyMint Sat 23-Jul-11 09:18:08

I would love a beetroot or three as a present blush

I would far rather get some home-grown fruit or veg as a present than a tacky ornament, but I have never given either as an eot gift!

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Sat 23-Jul-11 09:18:38

Better than 30 boxes of dairy milk, if you ask me. I picked my son up from his primary school on their last day and all the parents had flowers and most of them had chocolates.

What's a teacher going to do with 30 bouquets of flowers and 30 boxes of chocolates?

Home grown veg sounds lovely. At least it'll get used. Not thrown in the green bin or shoved in a cupboard.

bigTillyMint Sat 23-Jul-11 09:21:23

Flowers are lovely, but not a great eot present as most teachers like to make the most of their hols and get off on holiday smile

thisfantasticvoyage Sat 23-Jul-11 09:22:02

Argos vouchers, wine, chocolates - these are the things teachers spend all year looking forward to. As for posters saying their teacher was delighted when Harriet or Harry or whatever handed over the smelly vegetables - well what did you expect them to do? Throw it back at them.

Punkatheart Sat 23-Jul-11 09:22:24

I wish that I had thought of it. It would have been a lovely present. Why on earth would someone be a knobber who was kind enough to give it?

There are times when I really don't understand things...

AuntieMonica Sat 23-Jul-11 09:22:33

YABU, would you say a hand-made card is nobby as well?

you don't have to spend money on a gift to make it heartfelt.

Esta3GG Sat 23-Jul-11 09:24:04

Giving presents to teachers is cobblers full stop.
If we'd done it when I was a kid we would have been rightly condemned as stinking little arselickers.

bonkers20 Sat 23-Jul-11 09:24:04

I think homegrown veg would be a lovely present, especially if the child was able to tell the teacher that they helped grow them. Lovely, useful and a bit different.

spanieleyes Sat 23-Jul-11 09:26:09

One of our parents grows THE most delicious organic vegetables, there is almost a riot at the summer fayre when a hamper is auctionned off! I would be MORE than happy to receive some as an end of term present. Unfortunately I shall have to wait a couple of years as his children are not in my class yetsad

Kirst16 Sat 23-Jul-11 09:26:50

YABU..... I think it is a thoughtful gift. Growning was one of the topics on the EYFS curriculum, so if a child helps in the garden and grows their own fruit and veg, then I think it is a great idea. As TheMagnificentBathykolpian says, at least it will get used. With the cost of everything in supermarkets these days, who wouldn't be pleased?

AuntieMonica Sat 23-Jul-11 09:28:54

absolutely Kirst16

a carrier bag of fresh veg can cost you £20!

Chipotle Sat 23-Jul-11 09:29:36

Actually you say courgette and beetroot is an insult but I know a lovely fritter recipe for these veggies and it's yummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now