Talk

Advanced search

To think shouldnt have tried to explain "being poor" to dc. Oh the shame!!

(18 Posts)
yearningforthesun Fri 22-Jul-11 21:20:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DoMeDon Fri 22-Jul-11 21:22:23

Arf grin Sorry but that has made my day!!

Teaandcakeplease Fri 22-Jul-11 21:24:02

LOL my DD did something similar the other day as well. I tried to explain "fat" to her. Why why why... blush Still feel ashamed.

sleepindogz Fri 22-Jul-11 21:24:50

luckily didnt say she has enough to eat mummy, she is fat smile

duckdodgers Fri 22-Jul-11 21:25:21

Ah grin that could be any of my 3 grin blush

RhinestoneCowgirl Fri 22-Jul-11 21:26:54

Sounds like the sort of thing DS would say blush

Mind you, my embarrassing freecycle moment was handing over some baby stuff to a 6month pg-looking woman with a toddler and me saying 'and when are you due?', and her saying 'I'm not pg'...

thisisyesterday Fri 22-Jul-11 21:27:38

hahaha

i did the same with ds1, although slightly less embarassing but we were in a shop and i was asking about sleeping bags and ds1 pipes up with "excuse me, I think my mummy will want the cheapest one because she's really very poor"

lol

that followed me telling him and his brother that no, they couldn't have x,y and z off the shelves because I didn't have enough money to keep buying them things

Onemorning Fri 22-Jul-11 21:29:16

grin

I once took my DN - then 10 years old - to a panto. When one of the actors made a joke about the town being rich, he shouted out 'We're not rich, we're middle class!' blush

snippywoo2 Fri 22-Jul-11 21:31:13

Surely 'freecycle' isnt about being for the poor its about 'recycling' items you no longer need rather than just taking them to the rubbish tip. I think you abu telling your child this is why you use freecycle.

yearningforthesun Fri 22-Jul-11 21:33:02

pictish Fri 22-Jul-11 21:33:52

hahahahahhaaaaaaaa!!!! grin

How funny - sorry! blush

Bloody kids angry

yearningforthesun Fri 22-Jul-11 21:34:02

LithaR Fri 22-Jul-11 21:41:26

Lol this reminds me of when we were kids and live aid came out.

Me, my brother and my sister felt so bad for the starving kids we begged our parents to send our christmas presents to them.

ShellyBoobs Fri 22-Jul-11 21:51:32

Sounds familiar. grin

I remember explaining to DD that our family was very poor when I was growing up. I was trying to give her a sense a perspective because she was asking lots of questions (to me, not them thankfully) about why some of her friends didn't have certain material things that she took for granted.

I told her all about how lots of material things are unnecessary and many people have other priorities to spend their money on.

She then decided that she should tell one of her friends, in front of friend's mum and me, that if friend really wanted a [particular gadget] it was ok because she could come to our house for tea everyday, as her mum and dad probably couldn't afford to buy food and said gadget. blush

I don't know if it was better or worse that friend's parents aren't at all poor and would have just (quite rightly) decided that said gadget wasn't needed.

I knew we should have got a dog instead of having a child. At least dogs only hump people's legs rather than casting doubt upon one's very integrity at every opportunity.

Teaandcakeplease Fri 22-Jul-11 21:54:59

"I knew we should have got a dog instead of having a child. At least dogs only hump people's legs rather than casting doubt upon one's very integrity at every opportunity." grin

Angel786 Fri 22-Jul-11 23:09:47

I agree with snippy, freecycle is not used exclusively by poor people. There's a difference between being poor and being thrifty.

honeymom Fri 22-Jul-11 23:19:12

I know some very rich ppl that get stuff off freecycle because they are very tight lol, and a lot of people sell it on.

DrCoconut Sat 23-Jul-11 19:41:19

When I was little I suffered constipation and my mum told me if I ate up all my greens it would cure it. She wished she hadn't when a few days later I advised the man at the next table in a restaurant to eat his veg! I have never had anything off freecycle or got rid of anything so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now