Talk

Advanced search

children's party etiquette

(16 Posts)
AnneofIngleside Fri 22-Jul-11 20:08:30

I am hoping someone can reassure me that I'm doing the right thing. We are going to a joint birthday party over the weekend. The mum who invited us is a friend from our toddler group, and she and her little boy are coming to my daughter's party too. I also know the other mum and her little girl from toddler group but not as well, and they aren't invited to our party. I wasn't planning to get her little girl a present as we are going as guests of our friend, but will this look really rude? I also don't want her to feel she has to get my little girl a present, when they're not coming to our party.

I expect I am worrying for nothing but please let me know your thoughts!

alowVera Fri 22-Jul-11 20:12:25

Who invited you?

DoMeDon Fri 22-Jul-11 20:12:37

I don't think it will look really rude, I doubt she will care or even notice. Having said that I would get her DD a small gift as it is joint party and you know her (probably just a cheapo book), but that's me.

flowery Fri 22-Jul-11 20:14:25

If you're going to the little girl's party and know her from toddler group then yes get her a pressie, even though it was another child who technically invited you and your DD. If the joint party was with another child you didn't know at all, then that's different but in this case I think you should get her something.

Not an expert at all though!

Pancakeflipper Fri 22-Jul-11 20:14:53

My son has had joint parties with his friend. We have many friends in common so the invites are from both of them.
But I also invite children only my son knows and

CocktailQueen Fri 22-Jul-11 20:15:43

I'd prob get the other child a little cheap something, but don't feel bad that they're not coming to your party!

NickNacks Fri 22-Jul-11 20:16:06

I would get both children a present TBH. Both parents will have contributed to the food/ entertainment/ party bags etc that you and your child will enjoy so only fair i think. And why would she feel she has to get your child a present in return if you haven't invited her to the party?

catsareevil Fri 22-Jul-11 20:16:56

She shouldnt feel like she has to get your girl a present if she isnt going to the party. If she isnt incited to the party how will she know that it is your DDs birthday?

Pancakeflipper Fri 22-Jul-11 20:21:06

Oops sorry cut myself off.

Meant to say at our joint parties the other mother has invited kids not known to my son and we've not expected a pressie and vice-versa.

smallpotato Fri 22-Jul-11 20:22:00

I think I would get a present for both, as it's a joint party. After a recent spate of 3yo birthdays, some with parties and some without, I have come to the conclusion that between baby/toddler group acquaintances you buy a present if you are invited to a party, but otherwise it's not expected.

smallpotato Fri 22-Jul-11 20:22:00

I think I would get a present for both, as it's a joint party. After a recent spate of 3yo birthdays, some with parties and some without, I have come to the conclusion that between baby/toddler group acquaintances you buy a present if you are invited to a party, but otherwise it's not expected.

IceCreamCastles Fri 22-Jul-11 20:25:49

If it is a joint party and you know the other little girl then yes, I would get her a small present.

AnneofIngleside Fri 22-Jul-11 21:10:17

thank you, what you all say makes sense, you have probably saved me from a small social blunder, will get the other child a little something.

everlong Fri 22-Jul-11 21:12:45

Joint party = two presents in my book. No matter how well you know the parents/child.

beanandspud Fri 22-Jul-11 21:22:52

The DS of a friend received an invitation to a joint party between X and Y. Her DS said that he didn't know who Y was and she wasn't in the same class.

Friend texted mum to find out the age of Y so she could buy a present. She was very embarrassed to get a text back saying that Y is X's twin sister - she is the same age and in the same class blush

But for the OP, if you know the child I would buy a present, even if it's a cheap one.

gogops Wed 27-Jul-11 21:34:34

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now