Talk

Advanced search

Am I uptight?

(5 Posts)
livingoncloudcuckoo Fri 22-Jul-11 19:49:41

I have been reminded by this of another thread on AIBU about the drunk sister in charge of the posters dd. This happened a while ago btw but has always bugged me and is a reason that I do not let my dc stay with my in laws.

Staying with the in out laws. Ex H and parents went out for a drink. When they returned FIL and Ex H, exceedingly drunk. Ex H then went into ds' bedroom, ds (8) was awake, although it was late and started talking to him, he was loud and drunk and being an utter PITA. I immediately went in and told him to get out and let ds sleep. My MIL came in and didnt exactly have a go at me but was obviously impatient with my stance, she said something along the lines of "oh dont get upset, he (H) is not doing any harm and at least he won't go out again if he is talking to ds". This was her big concern, that her middle aged son would not leave the house to go back to the pub and was prepared to use MY ds, a child to ensure that this did not happen.

AIBU to think that ds is not a babysitter for his DAD and should not be used to ensure that his fuckwit (when drunk and alot of the rest of the time actually) Dad didnt leave the house again? AIBU not to trust my MIL because of this, it is not the only time she has prioritised drunk adults over children. I have seen other similar incidences. They are often hinting at dc' staying with them and I just don't feel comfortable with it. Opinions please.

LemonDifficult Fri 22-Jul-11 19:52:27

YANBU and should be well glad to be out of that family.

ToriaPumpkinPasty Fri 22-Jul-11 19:57:32

Sounds like my MIL. YANBU.

Hassled Fri 22-Jul-11 20:00:03

It's irrelevant if you're uptight or not - you're not happy with it and you don't trust them, and that's enough.

But you said Ex-H - is the concern that he might take them there without your consent?

livingoncloudcuckoo Fri 22-Jul-11 20:02:40

Well they live abroad now fortunately but there is always talk of holidays etc, my youngest would not go though tbh, she is only 3 and still very close to me but when she is older I think he will become more insistent about taking them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now