Talk

Advanced search

To think that if prisons are so overcrowded..

(46 Posts)
VelveteenRabbit Fri 22-Jul-11 19:06:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lawnimp Fri 22-Jul-11 19:10:53

or we could just deport them all to the isle of man

VelveteenRabbit Fri 22-Jul-11 19:26:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Esta3GG Fri 22-Jul-11 19:27:45

Agree OP. Imprisoning an old feller for not paying his council tax or a mother because their kid truants is idiotic.
Thing is that many prisons are privatised and banging people up is big business.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Fri 22-Jul-11 19:32:51

Or we could build more prisons to replace the antiquated penal establishments that are currently overcrowded and do nothing to encourage rehabilitation of offenders.

giyadas Fri 22-Jul-11 19:39:54

Or bring back hanging! grin
(joke, I think all the daily mail links are starting to affect me hmm)

welliesandpyjamas Fri 22-Jul-11 19:41:52

I doubt that most small offences end up in a jail sentence. They have to be very multiple offenders of the same 'small' crime ( and have been caught multiple times) to end up in jail.

Fleecy Fri 22-Jul-11 19:45:30

My parents have both been working in a prison for some years now. They both agree that the biggest problem with the system is that there is very little money for rehabilitation and teaching prisoners skills that will help them integrate back into the community on release. As a result of this, many are almost institutionalised and end up reoffending and returning with it being a way of life.

Many offenders come from backgrounds where their family had a history of offences and they just follow the same path.

knittedbreast Fri 22-Jul-11 19:47:10

i completly agree with you op

TheCrackFox Fri 22-Jul-11 19:48:58

I think they are pretty much doing that anyway. You have to do somehting really bad to get a prison sentence.

There does need to be a lot more money spent on rehabilitation (not going to happen, sadly) or more money improving parenting for certain groups(not going to happen).

MissusTulip Fri 22-Jul-11 20:10:45

I periodically work in prisons and one of the biggest factors is the number of prisoners on remand - ie those charged with an offence but not actually convicted and those convicted but awaiting sentence. These men (only worked in male prisons) should be dealt with promptly by the court system but they sure aren't, for reasons which often seem to do with obscure court things (yes that's a technical term), which lead to adjournments and delays while the legal teams fanny about and rack up money. Or because the courts are off on their summer hols. Remand prisoners have the highest rates of mental disorder and distress, and therefore end up costing the system far more as it is so ill-equipped to deal with them (NHS and prison).

Building loads of new prisons will do nothing for the problem of over-crowding - a proper over-haul of the criminal justice system is long over-due but keeps getting shafted by Daily Mail / conservative party / ministers losing their nerve etc (labour no better, made the problem much worse). But instead Probation and rehabilitation services are getting their funding and staff cut (as are the prisons), so opportunities for rehab, reduction of recividism and restorative justice are going up in smoke.

Boy, I'm not sad to be going off on maternity leave soon!

VirtualWitch Fri 22-Jul-11 20:15:50

I don't know if the victims of crime would feel that good about your idea OP. The only purpose of jail is not rehabilitation. Retribution and justice being seen to be done are important to the victims and to society as a whole, as is the message sent out to society that crime is unacceptable.

"House arrest" and tagging involve a lot of police time and many offenders sentenced to community service don't complete it (I believe around 50%), necessitating more resources being spent on re-sentencing or them getting away Scot-free.

cantspel Fri 22-Jul-11 20:22:42

crown courts dont have summer holidays. Yes there can be delays but many can be caused by the defendant as time on remand is easier than time on sentance. Also a lot of court time is lost when a trial turns to a guilty plea 10 minutes before the jury is due to be sworn.

We need to build more prisons not let out the ofenders already in them.

SkelleyBones Fri 22-Jul-11 20:25:22

I agree, a friend of ours was in a situation where he was accused of something and the CPS wanted him refused bail, the case then took 12 months to come to court by which time his life would have been ruined, they have to pay prisoners whilst they are inside apparently and then at the end of it all he was found not guilty.

Kladdkaka Fri 22-Jul-11 20:28:20

Or we could do it the Swedish way where only the really seriously dangerous get locked up immediately. The rest get put on a waiting list and get their holidays sentences at a later date.

DoMeDon Fri 22-Jul-11 20:37:31

It's a very complex issue but YAB a little U. I want offenders locked up.

dancingboro Fri 22-Jul-11 21:57:56

Decriminalising drugs would free up loads of space in prisons. Portugal has done it (treating drugs as a social problem rather than a criminal one) and its working in that there is less drug use, and less problems with drugs..

LineRunner Fri 22-Jul-11 22:06:13

The Isle of Man is already full of criminals. They are called bankers.

Oh and Jeremy Clarkson, who himself is a crime against humanity, sojourns there when he needs a break from the Chipping Norton set. Which would be right about now.

Cornwell Fri 22-Jul-11 22:11:55

YANBU.
I am not convinced that incarceration is a suitable punishment for all the offenders that are in prison. The rehabilitation process is hampered by limited funding and overcrowding. It is incredible that prison sentences are ever seen as holidays.

onagar Fri 22-Jul-11 22:12:43

I think that's a great idea. I hate the thought of prison, but when I'm short of money I'm willing to risk a bit of community service if I get caught breaking into your house.

megapixie Fri 22-Jul-11 22:16:33

It is a good solution, but I also understand why they'd be reluctant to do that.

2shoes Fri 22-Jul-11 22:17:53

yabu
people break the law they should have to pay the price,
there should be more sense though, like a mum of a truant shouldn't be sent to prison, she needs help and support to tackle the problem.someone who doesn't pay council tax should have to do community service, they will soon learn, but violent thugs , they should be locked up

Orbinator Fri 22-Jul-11 22:20:37

If we had a better mental healthcare system half of them wouldn't be in there in the first place!

squeakytoy Fri 22-Jul-11 22:33:30

the reasons that the prisons are so overcrowded is because being in one is like being in a fucking holiday camp...

it is no deterrant...

There is no fear in going to prison, most see it as a "badge of honour" and go in there knowing they will get well fed, still be able to get stoned, learn a few new tricks, make some mates, play on the xbox..

Perhaps if the goverment actually made prison into a place that people did actually find uncomfortable, they might think twice about committing the crimes...

AwesomePan Fri 22-Jul-11 22:40:21

Locking people in prison is a sort of emotional response to an immediate problem of crime, and usually very poorly thought out.
Some people do need to be there for public protection - thousands of others dont - and the figures for short term sentences, which then result in a revolving door of in-and-out-and-in are horrendous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now