Talk

Advanced search

to think these are ridiculous work practices and shouldn't be allowed?

(10 Posts)
SiamoFottuti Fri 22-Jul-11 16:29:05

MY DH works shifts, and is whats known in his job as a spare. Everyone is a spare until they get their own rota, a few years into the job. When you are a spare, you have to phone work every afternoon/evening to find out your shift for tomorrow. You have a vague notion in advance whether it will be an early or a late or a split, but in practice this can often mean little, with some lates starting before some earlies etc.
All of this means your family can't plan anything. I never know when he will be working, when he will have an evening or morning etc free. He also works weekends on the rota so its ruins weekend plans too.

Even worse is you can book a day off weeks in advance and then be told the day before that you can't have it. Which means your DW has to miss events she has bought tickets to and is very much looking forward to. sad angry

AIBU to think this is a fucking joke and bloody ridiculous?

EuphemiaMcGonagall Fri 22-Jul-11 16:30:19

Yep, but in the current jobs market employers have you over a barrel.

worraliberty Fri 22-Jul-11 16:32:06

It is ridiculous but that's what he signed himself up for I guess sad

sleepindogz Fri 22-Jul-11 16:34:52

try being in the emergency services, you are called in on short notice, have to give up your leave and work very long hours at no notice

thats life

SiamoFottuti Fri 22-Jul-11 16:35:07

He did, worra, thats true. But he was told when joining that the wait-time for a proper rota would be about 3 years. That was almost 5 years ago and he hasn't even moved to Senior Spare yet (still last minute notice but better shifts, so an improvement).

It's also heavily unionised so I don't understand why they don't push for better. It makes it so hard to do anything. sad

TotalChaos Fri 22-Jul-11 16:37:09

sympathies, when DH was a bus driver, he had a year of being "spare", fortunately that was before children, so at least no need to worry about childcare. It's not great without any responsibilities, even worse if you do, I remember DH's pal struggling to swap shifts so he could do school run whilst his wife was at work.

worraliberty Fri 22-Jul-11 16:38:20

Has he had words with the Union about it? I mean officially?

fgaaagh Fri 22-Jul-11 16:41:43

What does he do?

I can imagine this is the type of job where they find it impossible to keep people long term e.g. once people settle down and start having child care responsibilities.

I never knew industries (that's what it seems from your post? not an employer specific thing) worked like that as par for the course!

SiamoFottuti Fri 22-Jul-11 17:26:44

TotalChaos recognised a fellow bus drivers widow. wink

It looks like it will be years until he gets a route, much longer than usual, some complicated thing to do with his garage being a new one and having too many junior drivers.
Union reps very much of the "everyone else had to do it, so STFU and pay dues" mentality. But a few years ago both conditions and pay were much better than they are now, and they got routes years quicker.

I think I'm particularly fucked off because he left a higher paying job for this one based on the timelines and conditions they were old were certain. Turns out they were far from it.

SiamoFottuti Fri 22-Jul-11 17:28:59

*told, not old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now