Talk

Advanced search

To dump DBF because he sends me stupid texts.

(46 Posts)
yearningforthesun Fri 22-Jul-11 15:07:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Fri 22-Jul-11 15:10:22

Well I guess it's not very sophisticated is it . . . but doesn't make him a mass murderer or anything.

Does he tell jokes like that face to face? Maybe he is just forwarding one's that come his way? My dad is always sending jokes, some funny, some not.

yearningforthesun Fri 22-Jul-11 15:12:11

itisnearlysummer Fri 22-Jul-11 15:14:17

Well I'd dump him.

Not saying that's what you should do.

But he sounds like an idiot to me.

I wouldn't want to go out with a man like that.

Ihopeyoudance Fri 22-Jul-11 15:14:56

Yes he is.
There are worse things he could be, I suppose.
It would make me run a mile though.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Fri 22-Jul-11 15:16:21

If you get on well face to face I would just try telling him that his text jokes are crap. He might be trying to impress you?!

SleepySuzy Fri 22-Jul-11 15:17:11

They are just crap jokes. When texting was quite new I knew loads of people that forwarded them on. No one seems to bother now. Depends what he's like otherwise I suppose.

TiaMariaandDietCoke Fri 22-Jul-11 15:19:18

They sound like dumb forwarded messages. He's probably sending them to a load of people at once (well, maybe not the boobs one!) - I once got a very risque joke email from an elderly relative - turned out she'd not even read it - was just forwarding on all jokes to everyone in her address book! confused

Is he otherwise a fairly sane and sensible bloke? If so why not tell him to wise up with the texts - dumping him over a couple of dodgy joke texts seems a bit drastic if that's genuinely all thre is to it

B52s Fri 22-Jul-11 15:19:22

I get the occasional jokey text from my DSis. Very odd, but usually just forwarded on crap. Talk to him about it, ask him why he is sending them as you'd rather he didn't. He might think you find them hilarious. hmm

cjbartlett Fri 22-Jul-11 15:20:20

Just tell him to pack the crap jokes in or he's dumped, quite simple really

BluddyMoFo Fri 22-Jul-11 15:20:38

JockTamsonsBairns Fri 22-Jul-11 15:26:00

Tbh it's a dumpable offence for me I'm afraid. I'm not right into folk who send/forward "joke" texts, it's just so far removed from my sense of humour. IMO joke texts are always crap and/or offensive and therefore require instant deletion. Up to you though, perhaps you see other redeeming features which make up for it, and therefore not a deal-breaker for you?

Cocoflower Fri 22-Jul-11 15:27:26

You can't like him that much in the first place if some ill-judged text messages are a serious deal breaker

CalamityKate Fri 22-Jul-11 15:28:44

I'm with MoFo - isn't dumping him a bit drastic, at least without having a word first??

I mean if he's OK other than the jokes.

Or are you using the jokes as an excuse?

diddl Fri 22-Jul-11 15:33:42

I´d dump him.

Can´t stand forwarded "jokes" and wouldn´t want to be with someone who did it.

yearningforthesun Fri 22-Jul-11 15:36:15

lubeybooby Fri 22-Jul-11 15:38:10

He sounds like a respectless knob tbh.

Sidge Fri 22-Jul-11 15:42:11

He just sounds immature.

Joke texts per se wouldn't bother me but if he thinks sending risque jokes is valid foreplay then I would ditch him.

ShoutyHamster Fri 22-Jul-11 15:58:23

To 'check' you weren't a prude?

Of course I would understand that that is an issue he would need closure on immediately. Hopefully he got the feedback he wanted.

How about you send him a 'stop sending me the kind of texts a 16 year old would send, it's a real turn-off' text? hmm

This would be a good way to 'check' whether he can listen to and respect someone's opinion or whether he is indeed an Arse Of The First Water.

ShoutyHamster Fri 22-Jul-11 15:59:12

Hah my hmm was supposed to be after the feedback bit NOT after the suggestion bit.

It makes nooo sense otherwise grin

squeakytoy Fri 22-Jul-11 16:05:36

Are you sure its him and not his mates pissing around with his phone?

WhereYouLeftIt Fri 22-Jul-11 16:05:54

OP, I just thought he was a bit immature until you posted "He said he sent the boob one to check I wasnt a prude" .

Following that, I would definitely dump. Sorry.

TrillianAstra Fri 22-Jul-11 16:07:31

to check you weren't a prude? hmm

And what text should you send back to check he's not a twat?

LesserOfTwoWeevils Fri 22-Jul-11 16:10:02

They're not just crap, they're sexist crap. I would be checking out his attitude to women very very carefully.

TrillianAstra Fri 22-Jul-11 16:10:33

The "checking you aren't a prude" thing is far worse than sending shit jokes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now