Talk

Advanced search

to think baby Ibrahim deserves a chance of life & we can make a difference?

(15 Posts)
TheRealTillyMinto Fri 22-Jul-11 11:44:18

DEC East Africa Crisis Appeal
www.dec.org.uk/item/509

Sirzy Fri 22-Jul-11 11:46:49

I have already donated. I am not sure how much actually gets to where it is needed but if there is a chance my little bit can make a difference I am willing to give.

TheRealTillyMinto Fri 22-Jul-11 11:58:38

i think it is easy to confuse giving money to charity with bad loans that have been made to develeoping countries in the past.

(commercial) loans were made to developing countries, the cash was handed over to their governments, who then took it for themselves leaving the country with the debt and interest payments.

if you give to a proper charity, they have staff on hte ground and are doing what is needed, where it is needed.

charleneanne Fri 22-Jul-11 13:16:19

sorry i wont donate to his one but my sons school is link with a school in gambia and we are raising funds for the head teacher to go over in hols and oversee work being done to redo school roofs so they dont leak

TheRealTillyMinto Fri 22-Jul-11 13:51:31

i guess by the lack of interest IABU.

BootyMum Fri 22-Jul-11 14:30:58

Well, it's just difficult for people to donate to all the worthy causes out there...
I also can't donate at this time as already sponsoring little boy in Haiti and regularly donate to Amnesty. Would love to give more to more charities but impossible to do so.

Sn0wflake Fri 22-Jul-11 14:35:43

I have donated already. I look at my well fed boy and just can't stand the idea of these children crying in hunger. It is an appalling situation.

Even if people only donate a little it would help. Are you starving?

fatoftheland Fri 22-Jul-11 14:36:50

I have donated, I probably wouldn't have done if you hadn't started this thread. Well done op.

Sn0wflake Fri 22-Jul-11 14:37:04

Also regularly donating to Oxfam...I'll still bung some money to emergencies when they come up.

methodsandmaterials Fri 22-Jul-11 14:44:38

Thank you for reminding me to donate.

Sn0wflake Fri 22-Jul-11 14:48:39

Sorry didn't mean to sound smug and annoying it's just I find this situation so dire and upsetting.

GwanShoooo Fri 22-Jul-11 16:04:37

i donate through my taxes - think its 6 billion or something similar

TheRealTillyMinto Fri 22-Jul-11 19:08:17

yes it is dire. Excellent on the donations.

i saw on the news a couple of days ago that the UK has given £23million as part of this famine, which works out at 30p per person in this country.

it is no way near enough.

on taxes - yes we pay a lot of tax. unfortunately our leaders dont seem to spent them particularly well if you think we have enough money for {choose your own list of stupidity} but not enough to spend a couple of quid to save a life

ashamedandconfused Fri 22-Jul-11 19:15:18

i dont want to sound like I am bragging about donation but we have given a sum we COULD have spent on 2 fun family days out. the 3 DC have between them added £6 from their money boxes and we are so proud of them! we are not going without, we have enough to eat and safe clean water and a home where we are warm and sheltered.

the scale of this famine is enormous. what we see on the news is the thin end of the wedge and we still cannot comprehend. We all have a moral duty to help in whatever way we can.

LynetteScavo Fri 22-Jul-11 19:24:50

We already give to one of the charities in the link (I wouldn't dare not, I think my G'ma in heaven would be most disappointed if I didn't!)

But ....a 6 week old baby dying because of drought, rather than the mother?

I don't doubt things are very harsh in areas of Kenya, but surely older children and mothers are suffering more than newborns because of the drought. confused I'm not sure this appeal is showing an accurate picture, but one that will appeal to those who might be willing to donate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now