Talk

Advanced search

to want a better standard of care from nursery

(12 Posts)
JacksonPollocks Fri 22-Jul-11 09:46:08

for a number of reasons i've just withdrawn my son from nursery. A comment my dad made has suprised me. One of the reasons is every day he goes there he has nappy rash, something he never gets at home or in anyone else's care. Coupled with the fact he's dirty so often when i collect him i'm not ok with this especially as it's not addressed. Dad reckons i should expect it at nursery sayin as i keep him spotless at home he has no resistence. I believe babies should be changed as and when dirty within a reasonable time frame, ie before it's dried on and hard. My son due to allergies does more poo than usual to be fair but they stink so it's obvious when he does one. He does about four or five a session. Apologies but i can't do paragraphs on my phone

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 22-Jul-11 09:48:48

It isn't acceptable to not change a child when he's dirty. I don't think that's something you should put up with just because he's at nursery. Was that the most serious issue you had?

RitaMorgan Fri 22-Jul-11 09:50:42

I would expect a better standard of care too - my ds is always changed immediately as far as I can tell and has never had a nappy rash from nursery.

SpecialFriedRice Fri 22-Jul-11 09:51:48

YANBU to expect better.

I don't think there is resistance to nappy rash. It's like a chemical reaction.

Pooey bums should be changed ASAP! My DD ended up with a really painful bleeding fungal nappy rash once and she'd only been in a dirty nappy for literally 2 min before I changed her.

Have you spoken to the nursery about it?

Shutupanddrive Fri 22-Jul-11 09:53:51

Yanbu they should be changed ASAP when they are dirty. This is obviously not the case as this has happened so often. Did you complain?

woodpeckers Fri 22-Jul-11 09:55:22

Nappies were always changed as soon as a child soiled where I worked. It's really not acceptable to leave them for any time in them. Sometimes they do have a habit of doing it just as parents arrive - but you can always tell if it's a fresh one! We did have one child who developed nappy rashes if he was in a dirty nappy for only 10 minutes, but we knew that and always changed him the minute we were aware.

eragon Fri 22-Jul-11 09:58:59

You are right, continual nappy rash is a sign that his basic needs are not being met.
you need to complain to the manager and consider your options.

also, if you mean dirty, do you mean left over food on face ?or dirt from playing in garden? or paint etc?
faces need to be clean and hands and face need wiping after meals, so that again would concern me. basic standards really.

but play dirt, i would see as a possitive, and signs your child is having fun!

so grubby clothes , but clean face and hands are a good sign.

nappy changes should be about 3-4 times a day, and extra when required in a day nursery routine. i can remember one a 10am, one after lunch, and after tea, and then extras if soiled. iyswim.

JacksonPollocks Fri 22-Jul-11 09:59:17

he has a lot of allergies and they don't seem to have effective systems in place to prevent him having dairy traces. If for example they used the same knife for cutting his sandwich as a cheese sandwich he has the runs or rash and stomach pain. Despite the fact they say there's no problem about once a fortnight he has symptoms. On wed he was cryin half the might with a rash and the runs. I believe they feed him the right things but i don't see signs they are careful enough with labels or using the same serving spoons etc. Because they swear there is no problem and all is fine i don't see how they can address this. Often on his chart it says things like cheese snack and they cross it out when challenged sayin it's a mistake. If they are so careless with his chart i worry they are careless generally. I've tried to support them and passed on all hospital guidance. I can't send my baby somewhere that causes him pain or discomfort and it's been upsetting me a lot seeing him with sore skin or belly. I just don't think they grasp it nor are organised enough to deal with him.

JacksonPollocks Fri 22-Jul-11 10:05:52

play dirt is fine with me. He often goes through a few tops. Face is clean to an acceptable standard. I just think they change him to a routine. Because they seem to be careless with the food he can do a huge number of nappies on a a bad day. I think after being accidently given cheese he did fifteen. And they didn't ring me. There's been five times he's needed piriton there and also an inhaler. Two members of staff are great but in the care of the third this happens. They just defend her when i've complained so i feel he needs to move

woodpeckers Fri 22-Jul-11 10:13:08

It does sound like they really haven't got to grips with the severity of his allergies. Could you offer to spend a day in the setting and discuss the best way of meeting his needs? Offer advice if you see them using the same knives, things like that? Nurseries should be able to deal with his needs, but possibly if they've never had a child with such reactions before they just don't get the seriousness?

harassedandherbug Fri 22-Jul-11 10:22:44

That's completely unacceptable imo. I think you've done the right thing, poor little thing. Surely dealing with a non-dairy allergy should be fairly straight forward? I've no experience, but it's fairly obvious isn't it.

What are you going to do now? Would a cm be better able to cope do you think, maybe one you could send your own food in to? How old is he?

RitaMorgan Fri 22-Jul-11 10:29:04

Move him immediately! My ds has an egg allergy and the nursery and all the kitchen staff are very aware and very careful.

It does sound like a general lack of care and attention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now