Talk

Advanced search

to be slightly worried about this.

(5 Posts)
QuoththeRaven Fri 22-Jul-11 09:17:46

DS is in his own room, but last winter we discovered that the walls were slightly mouldy, we dealt with that, but his room is the coldest in the house and always quite dark. Our room is bigger, brighter and warmer so in a couple of weeks we're switching rooms to give him a lot more space.

I have a 5 month old dd, she'll be 6 months when we switch rooms so the plan was to put them in together, but AIBU to be slightly fretful about this.

DS has never shown any signs of being aggressive/violent/jealous of his little sister (hes 3 in aug btw) and only kisses her and tells her she's gorgeous most of the time. I'm not worried about him harming her on purpose, but my worry is that he'll try and put a toy in her cot and accidentally smother her, or something like that. We will have a baby monitor in there, but im so paranoid at the best of times.

DS went into his own room at 6 months, thats not a problem and DD is sleeping very well during the night, DH wants the peace and quiet of his own room again, a room thats just ours and to relax in. atm we just run to bed with all the lights switched off and try not to make any noise whatsoever. I agree on this, i can't wait to have a personal bedroom again, but i can't shake these fears.

So AIBU to be worried, and if you have more than 1 dc, when did they start sharing a room? Sorry this is long, but i could really do with some reassuring/advice.

Blurry29 Fri 22-Jul-11 09:40:26

I think u r being a little too worried

He sounds very loving towards his little sis and it may help them bond even further.

Worries I would have is the night time disruptions, hard enough getting up for one let alone having two tired LO to deal with.

Another thing I would think about is DS not having his own personal space, would he get to an age of wanting to play in his room with friends etc and may not be able to due to sleep times etc?

It is all about trail and error, try it and if it works then great but if it doesn't you can't say you didn't try.

Fully explain to DS what is allowed and what isn't with regards to putting things in cot....he will probably surprise you.

best of luck smile

Hassled Fri 22-Jul-11 09:43:10

I think at 3 your DS will be able to understand that a toy in the cot might hurt her while she's asleep, etc. Just explain it to him. It will be fine, I'm sure - your only problem is going to one of them waking the other in the morning when they're not ready to wake up.

icooksocks Fri 22-Jul-11 09:44:06

My ds's went into a room together when they were 21 months and 3 months. They are now 3 and 18 months and the eldest has never done anything to harm his little brother. In fact most mornings I wake up to their giggling.

QuoththeRaven Fri 22-Jul-11 09:54:13

DS and DD actually wake up around the same time in the morning, although neither are in the same room yet and DD hardly makes a noise when she wakes up, so thats a bit wierd. Blurry, we have toys in DS's bedroom and the living room, so i'll probably just try to distract DD the best i can when that all starts to happen grin

Its hard to know what my DS will understand sometimes, his biggest problem atm is throwing things (not at anyone, just throwing) and regardless of how we deal with it (naughty step, taking away toys etc) he still does it. His speech is delayed a bit, though it really took off when DD was born, so i kind of feel like i don't know my own son and his capabilities a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now