Talk

Advanced search

To be sobbing like a fool?

(29 Posts)
lovecorrie Fri 22-Jul-11 09:10:47

It's Ds last day at his lovely lovely primary. Last night the year 6's did a fantastic performance - a play/musical they wrote themselves and he, unusually, as is a very shy boy generally, had a major role. Not only did I snivel all the way through it, but this morning when I dropped him off, and then took dd to her last day in the early years building which is a beautiful little house opposite the main school, I wept copiously for both of them! Am I mad?

CalamityKate Fri 22-Jul-11 09:13:29

Nope.

I love the school my DS's go to and got leaky eyes last week watching the leavers' assembly.... I don't even HAVE children in year 6. Mine will be there for another 2 years. God knows what I'll be like then hmm

happystory Fri 22-Jul-11 09:14:51

YANBU. It's the end of an era for parents as well as the children smile

lovecorrie Fri 22-Jul-11 09:16:53

Thank you! I felt such a fool!!

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Fri 22-Jul-11 09:18:36

Yes... a bit... but then aren't we all? grin

How does one halt tears that really want to come out? I wish I knew the answer to that one.

RMutt Fri 22-Jul-11 09:20:58

No! You go ahead and have a good sniff <passes tissues>

It's a milestone and milestones are emotional times full of powerful and conflicting feelings. And wow! at such a big part in the play. No wonder you feel a bit wobbly and super proud!

My dd left yr 6 this time last year. It seemed such a big step but I see now it was time <sob, they grow so fast. Grabs tissues backgrin>

MaryBS Fri 22-Jul-11 09:21:20

Every sympathy - my DD's last day today. For the first time in ages I walked her to school, as it'd be the last time I did that as she will catch a bus to the secondary school.

Kayzr Fri 22-Jul-11 09:21:43

Not at all. It's DS1's last day at nursery today and half of the parents were crying including me.

lovecorrie Fri 22-Jul-11 09:27:01

I was walking to my car with these stupid fat tears trying to say hello to other parents! Honestly! I was so proud of him in the play. he's only ever usually confident playing sports so when he told me his part I was terrified he'd taken on too much. However, he was so funny! Right, this will never do. Housework to get on with...sniff..

saladsandwich Fri 22-Jul-11 09:32:30

i will almost certainly be crying when ds leaves his nursery, es only 2 and half now but i know it will be a sad day when he leaves so no yanbu xx

yoshiLunk Fri 22-Jul-11 09:34:25

Stop you lot, i've only just dried my t-shirt eyes from this morning's school and playgroup run.

AuntieMonica Fri 22-Jul-11 09:35:14

i'll join the parade of sniffers and wailers about 11.30 this morning when i collect DD from her last sessions at pre-school nursery today.

she's going to a different primary school and has already said very matter-of-factly she will miss her nursery teachers

see, now i'm off again sad

RMutt Fri 22-Jul-11 09:37:43

Wait till you see your dc in Sept on their first day in the new uniforms.

Tissues on standby again.

Ormirian Fri 22-Jul-11 09:40:34

Nope.

And I'd put money on him being in tears at least one today too.

Mine were a real mess the day they left.

crazynanna Fri 22-Jul-11 09:40:38

Oh the shame...I remember DD's last day at primary,and she's my youngest,so 'being in a state' was an understatement! Ihad the works,sobbing loudly,snot coming out of my nose!! The Head had to take me into her office and give me a small sherry...at 9.05am! blush

Hassled Fri 22-Jul-11 09:40:43

I went to a leaving assembly last week and got a bit teary - I didn't even have a child leaving blush. It's a funny time of year but you will not be the only red-eyed parent around the place.

PandaG Fri 22-Jul-11 09:42:20

not at all unreasonable. Same here - DS last day at juniors - I drove him in this morning (usually walks himself) as he had quite a lot of stuff to carry. He had his leavers do last night, I'm so gald we agreed to buy him a suit as a lot of boys had them. He looked so grown up, where has the time gone?

HarrietJones Fri 22-Jul-11 09:42:31

YANBU I'll be crying at pick up!

Come & join us over here for our <sob> secondary transfer

MugglesandLuna Fri 22-Jul-11 09:44:39

I was just about to post the exact same thing.

My MD leaves his lovely preschool today heading for 'big school'. They have been so bloody lovely with him for the past two year I am going to be sobbing when I go and pick him up.

ProfYaffle Fri 22-Jul-11 09:45:16

<joins club> I wailed like an idiot when collecting dd2 from nursery for the last time yesterday. When dd1 left I was quite cheerful but dd2 was still there. Yesterday, however, was our proper, final goodbye to the pre-school stage (dd2 is my youngest) Even thinking about her leaving Primary is making me well up! When the time comes I may have to take my own sherry with me on the school run ....

lovecorrie Fri 22-Jul-11 09:59:56

I don't supposed it would be the done thing to turn up quaffing wine and saying 'I bloody love you mr headteacher...hic' at 3.30 would it?

jodee Fri 22-Jul-11 10:30:43

End of an era, DS finishes Primary at 12.15 today and my eyes are still puffy from blubbing away last night! Had their Leavers Assembly yesterday and I was digging my nails into my hand to stop myself crying, as they showed a slideshow of pictures of the last 4 years, with "what have you done today to make you feel proud" playing in the background.

Maybe it's because he's my only child but I will miss it terribly!

AuntieMonica Fri 22-Jul-11 10:34:10

i want to hide this thread, i'm a big blubbing soggy mess now blush

wonder if i can invent an imaginary pet that could conveniently die right now so i've got an excuse?

i burst into tears at finishing my shred dvd today ffs

<lost plot; please return to AuntieMonica, reward given>

TheDeathlyMarshmallows Fri 22-Jul-11 10:38:46

I've just been and picked up flowers for the Pre school ladies. I will be crying when they're given out sad

Still, I won't be the only one. Some of the Mum's were crying at drop off!

Just over an hur to go and my PFB won't be at pre school anymore <wails>

charleneanne Fri 22-Jul-11 10:48:47

awwww poor you j have 5 children and they have all attended a small school where everyone knows everyone and teachers and parents are like friends our oldest is almost 23 then 18 then 17 then 12 and youngest goes up to year 6 september by the time sami leaves wo would have been doing the school run for 20 years so just imagine what i am gonna be like next year i am dreading it the teachers have already said its gonna be so odd not having a ward child in the school i am gonna be sobbing we have always attended everything semblies open days sports days parents evening workshops everything going we have been there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now