Talk

Advanced search

To want to run away ...

(3 Posts)
Goldikova Fri 22-Jul-11 02:39:48

I came from a small family & most of my immediate family are no more. DP has large family. Have just endured huge family weekend of PIL, BIL, SIL plus children. I cannot get on with their method of family communication - I only have one sister and we are very direct with each other whereas family in law are just constantly nice to each other but never actually say what they mean.

My Dcs love thier cousins and this is why I have to date suffered huge family gatherings.

Now after a weekend of everyone some more are coming in 2 weeks time. I don't think I can manage it and am seriously contemplating just absenting myself for the wekend.

Am I the only person who feels this way.

hairfullofsnakes Fri 22-Jul-11 05:43:22

No of course you are not alone but sometimes we have to suck it up and get through certain things. You are used to one way, they do things a different way and I know what you mean about the nicely nicely approach - I prefer direct but if they dont do things like that it probably means they never will.

People are odd! But at times you have just gotta get through certain situations!

CalmaLlamaDown Fri 22-Jul-11 06:18:56

I think it would be perfectly reasonable for you to opt out of the next family weekend - you are not asking for it to be cancelled so your children would not miss out. Can you feign illness and stay home, or are you the host?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now