Talk

Advanced search

to have had a little chuckle to myself at this

(21 Posts)
HairyFrotter Thu 21-Jul-11 21:21:58

I was in Tesco with dd by the bread. There was a woman with a 2ish year old who kept picking up a pack of white bread rolls. The woman was saying at full volume 'eurgh we don't buy those - we only buy wholemeal bread they're processed crap and taste disgusting - yuk'. 'Seriously they are just rubbish and yakky' etc. She went on like this for a good couple of minutes while her bemused toddler stared at her blankly.
Before today I had thought I was a militant healthy eater. We only buy wholemeal bread, I cook healthy meals from scratch and I take chopped vegetable sticks out in tupperware for the dd's to snack on. AIBU to just tell dd that wholemeal bread is better for you but not to give her the impression that it's basically dog shit?

thisisyesterday Thu 21-Jul-11 21:24:22

well. quite frankly you should both be making your own!

<hides the white bread>

actually, on a serious note, my lot have been brought up on wholemeal/granary but I did read that kids are supposed to have white because it's easier to digest or summat? so now we have a mixture cos i really do like some trashy white toast with butter every now and then!

HairyFrotter Thu 21-Jul-11 21:28:20

I read that white has added vitamins too. DD does have white when we're out and stuff but we only buy wholemeal cos I like it! Shop bought wholemeal is hardly unprocessed though with the shelf life it has on it.
I should have said in my loudest voice 'come on dd we must get some strong wholemeal flour so we can bake bread when we get home!'
I think the main thing I found amusing was that the woman was obviously so proud of scaring her child shitless of white bread that she felt the whole shop needed to hear!

Kayano Thu 21-Jul-11 21:28:49

but white tastes better.

Its all carbs at the end of the day. I do not get millitant bread people at all

HairyFrotter Thu 21-Jul-11 21:30:10

No it doesn't - it's yakky grin

saladsandwich Thu 21-Jul-11 21:30:23

sounds like the woman wanted everyone to know she eats healthy and so does her daughter to make herself feel/sound good, some people are like that they dont realise it makes them look a tit, im abit of a healthy food kind of person i dont feel the need to tell people lol

yanbu OP

prudaloo Thu 21-Jul-11 21:31:59

Why does it matter what she says to her child? It is shhit- most of what they sell in Tesco IS shit, you should shop in Waitrose or M&S.

LynetteScavo Thu 21-Jul-11 21:32:21

I only let my children eat organic rye bread.

It's DH who buys the white sliced crap. wink

HairyFrotter Thu 21-Jul-11 21:34:48

You can't do a main shop at m and s imo as they don't sell any ingredient type stuff. My mum does her main shop there but she is better off than me and lives off ready meals. We don't have a Waitrose but doubt I could afford it if we did tbh.

HairyFrotter Thu 21-Jul-11 21:35:34

And it doesn't matter what she says - I just found it funny is all.

HeyYouJimmy Thu 21-Jul-11 22:00:59

Neither do I Kayano. We buy white bread because DH has found that his bowels cause him no end of agony when he eats anything made with wholemeal/granary/wheat husks. I've spoken to my GP about his and she suspects possible IBS, but DH will not go to get it sorted. I've found that the sames things set me off on a marathon parping session. I can literally fart at will when I've had a day of wholemeal things. It's mad I tell you.

squeakytoy Thu 21-Jul-11 22:33:27

HYJ my husband had diverticulitus, and anything with small seeds or grains will have him in agony when he has an attack.. it may be worth looking into that if you havent already.. it is more common in men than IBS apparently.

I am not a bread facist.. I like any sort of bread... but my favourites are either a fresh, still slightly warm french stick, slathered in butter or brie... or a nice very fresh Warburtons toastie...

Brown bread is great for smoked salmon or prawn sarnies, but white is much tastier for everything else. smile

squeakytoy Thu 21-Jul-11 22:33:58

had has diverticulitus..

knittynoodle Thu 21-Jul-11 23:26:08

Can I ask a stupid question. I sometimes (rarely) make my own bread from scratch, and its white because I use strong OO flour.

So is the yakky part in the flour to make it white, or added after they put in preservatives.

I feel very confused because that would mean my cakes made from white flour are yakky too!

LineRunner Thu 21-Jul-11 23:41:31

You were in ..... Tesco???

Florabeebaby Fri 22-Jul-11 10:21:19

I buy white bread...and shop in Asda.

But I also buy brown bread...and shop in M&S. I mix it up! Makes life interesting!

AmazingBouncingFerret Fri 22-Jul-11 10:25:27

mmm crispy bacon on two slabs of warburtons white toastie...

<goes off to make bacon sandwich>

On another note, she actually said to her child that it was crap? I'm not completely strict on my language in front of the kids sometimes the odd bugger or bloody comes out, but to actually say crap as a description to a two year old is a bit weird.

StrandedBear Fri 22-Jul-11 10:28:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TrillianAstra Fri 22-Jul-11 10:30:46

If you can't tell the difference between white bread and shit I don't think you should be allowed to do the grocery shopping... or the cooking grin

DeWe Fri 22-Jul-11 10:32:16

I was brought up only to have brown bread, preferably wholemeal or granary. My mum used to even use wholemeal flour to make pancakes. hmm
Result: I can't stand brown bread. Even the smell is enough to make me retch.
You can try teaching your children but they may well discover the truth. <whispers> white bread tastes nice.

notso Fri 22-Jul-11 10:45:51

I don't think banning foods is healthy at all whether it is white bread or haribo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now