(25 Posts)
soverylucky Thu 21-Jul-11 20:27:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dozer Thu 21-Jul-11 20:27:57

What is the award for?

soverylucky Thu 21-Jul-11 20:28:34

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 21-Jul-11 20:28:57

What are the criteria? If there were tests, for example ( as in my day) the winner will usually be quite clear.

AgentZigzag Thu 21-Jul-11 20:29:15

You're overthinking it, but I can understand why smile

Kladdkaka Thu 21-Jul-11 20:29:28

I never liked this kind of thing, as a parent or a public. It always stank of favouritism to me.

Kladdkaka Thu 21-Jul-11 20:29:59

a pupil, not a public. Doh!

soverylucky Thu 21-Jul-11 20:31:19

Kayano Thu 21-Jul-11 20:31:36

Thats why We suck at everything. PC ppl suck the competitiveness out of everything.

If he won twice, he won twice imo

Good for him

penguin73 Thu 21-Jul-11 20:31:53

I think YABU, prizes should go to the most worthy recipient regardless of whether they have won it before or have won something else in my opinion. Otherwise it becomes apparent that the person getting the award is not necessarily the person who deserves it and the prize loses its value.

Sandalwood Thu 21-Jul-11 20:34:17

How is your DD's effort/behaviour?

soverylucky Thu 21-Jul-11 20:40:22

AuntiePickleBottom Thu 21-Jul-11 20:49:31

yabu, it takes alot of hard work for a child to behave, make an effort and generally be polite all the time ect....if they won an award for that it gives them a insentative to continue to do so.

soverylucky Thu 21-Jul-11 20:50:52

Frog253 Thu 21-Jul-11 20:50:56

This is the way I see it now...presumably there is one person who wins most of the races in her class too everyone understands that because the fastest runner wins the race, easily quantifiable. When you are measuring something less quantifiable then it is harder to do but is essentially the same, this child perhaps won the prize by a whisker but he still won. I think I would be more miffed if different children were winning this prize every year but my dd was still left out. My dd never wins the prize either btw.

soverylucky Thu 21-Jul-11 20:51:38

soverylucky Thu 21-Jul-11 20:52:01

soverylucky Thu 21-Jul-11 20:54:17

Sewmuchtodo Thu 21-Jul-11 20:55:24

My DD got a straight A report this year, one of only two children in her year to do so. Her behaviour is superb, she is kind, shares, does all she can to help etc.

Achievements assembley was on Monday and DD got nothing. The awards went to the following.....

Biggest smile
What a good effort
Learning to share etc....

These kids need the the encouragement, my DD does not and her teacher knows this. She was a bit peeved but DH and I told her her report shows us how good she is.

AuntiePickleBottom Thu 21-Jul-11 20:55:30

also this child may not have any strong point...like best at math, english, science and othe subject and this is one thing that is his/her strong point.

now i am not saying every child has to have an award, but if a child is going behond being helpful ect then it well deserved

AgentZigzag Thu 21-Jul-11 20:58:09

'ah never get it right confused'

You and the rest of us grin

Frog253 Thu 21-Jul-11 20:59:04

It's very frustrating I know, I prefer awards for something specific such as "maintaining a high standard in X" or "kindness to others" but try to remember that there are 18 other children and parents in the same position who don't understand how to win these special awards.

soverylucky Thu 21-Jul-11 20:59:07

soverylucky Thu 21-Jul-11 20:59:35

DeWe Thu 21-Jul-11 22:21:50

Dd1's report had graded some of the subjects A-outstanding, B-Good, C-satisfactory. The description of C was something along the lines of "behaviour not always satisfactory, homework not done, classwork not up to standard." Dd1 read this and was confused she said "that isn't really satisfactory is it?"
I told her it was grade inflation, in my day I suspect it would be Good, satisfactory, poor. I felt they could have at least put in D-unsatisfactory, even if they had no intention of giving it to anyone, which would have looked as though the satisfactory deserved the term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now