Talk

Advanced search

To think that I should complain about noise later, rather than sooner?

(25 Posts)
BoojaBooja Thu 21-Jul-11 20:11:00

I have noisy neighbours. They have a fantastic sound system, but unfortunately it's not in a club, but in their conservatory!

Every couple of months they have a party and it's so bloody loud we and another neighbour can't even hear our TVs. We live in detached houses but they're fairly close together.

When I last complained, a drunk girl shouted and swore at me, which wasn't nice for my two year old to hear (it was about 10pm on Sunday and it had kept DD awake). Despite having lived her for a few years, the people are not friendly and so the only real exchanges we've had are about the noise.

So, at about 7pm it started again. I can just about hear the telly. Do I complain now, or leave it until it's late and extremely noisy? I'm keeping a diary of the noise for the council and will hand it back to them next month.

Is it reasonable to have a loud (end of term?) party at this hour?

Thanks!

AgentZigzag Thu 21-Jul-11 20:17:30

It's annoying, but I don't think it's very late for the noise of a party.

I do feel for you though, it's just so invasive.

Set a time in your head and if they've not calmed down by then go round, even though that means you've got to sit there fuming at their twatishness.

lachesis Thu 21-Jul-11 20:18:51

I wish extreme deafness on anyone who blasts loud music in a residential area and worse.

squeakytoy Thu 21-Jul-11 20:19:43

Is it reasonable to have a loud (end of term?) party at this hour?

Its only just gone eight o bloody clock!!! Its hardly 3am....

BoojaBooja Thu 21-Jul-11 20:22:44

Thanks both. I thought I'd leave it until 10pm and then call them (can't leave the house as DD's in bed and I'm on my own - fortunately she's sleeping through it, for now). They're on a different street which is behind my house, along a 10 min route, so I can't pop out and leave DD in bed.

My poor neighbour on the other side has just called me. He and his wife are elderly and are both going through treatment for cancer at the moment, so they need their rest. He just wanted to know whether I could hear it too - I couldn't barely hear him talk on the phone!

Oh well, I'll add it to the diary the council have given me and maybe something will be done in time.

BoojaBooja Thu 21-Jul-11 20:24:31

That's what I'm thinking squeaky. It's very, very loud though. The problem is the bassline.

They let fireworks off a few weeks ago which petrified my dog and rabbits. I just wish they'd have some manners. I totally appreciate that an end of term party's in order, but it doesn't have to be this loud and they could've let me know in advance.

BoojaBooja Thu 21-Jul-11 20:43:59

Gawd. There was a break in the thumping music and a girl screeched "Fuck off out of the hot tub! Fuck oofffff! He touched my fucking kebab!"

I presume she's not talking the 'edible' type.

Ugh.

griphook Thu 21-Jul-11 20:47:15

Not sure what you can do yet but I hate it when people push their noise on other people, so selfish. If you can't hear your tv and people on the phone, that's just stupid. I'd thik about calling the council very soon. It maybe end of term for some but not all of us.

AgentZigzag Thu 21-Jul-11 20:51:56

'"Fuck off out of the hot tub! Fuck oofffff! He touched my fucking kebab!"'

My mind's boggling grin

needanewname Thu 21-Jul-11 20:53:43

Contact the noise abatement people at your local council, they will come over and warn them, if they have to come out 3 times they will confiscate the sound system. well thats how it works here anyway.

Good luck

lachesis Thu 21-Jul-11 20:54:49

Losers like this make me think extremely violent thoughts. There's just no reason for it, ever.

BoojaBooja Thu 21-Jul-11 20:55:00

...all said in a broad West Country accent.

BoojaBooja Thu 21-Jul-11 20:59:04

needanewname, the noise people have asked me to keep a diary for two months and have written to them to let them know there's been a complaint.

The last time I asked them to turn it down they told me that I was "Out of order" because I go to music festivals and listen to music there. confused

needanewname Thu 21-Jul-11 21:08:09

I would still call them if the music is still too loud at 11pm tonight, that they way not only do they have a record from your diary but also your call.

I'm all for a party and letting your hair down, but not when it disturbs those around you.

Tortington Thu 21-Jul-11 21:09:25

id call the police and tell them i heard arguing

lachesis Thu 21-Jul-11 21:10:16

What fuckers.

LadyShapes Thu 21-Jul-11 21:10:26

Not really got any advice, but we have the same problem. I work from home and now that the neighbours' kids have finished exams I have to listen to their bloody awful music all afternoon. Then on the weekend they'll have a barbeque or a party, and then it'll be someone's birthday and they'll have a BIG party. I complained once when it went on till midnight and got told to fuck off. The annoying thing is, the music is often on in the day time so I can't really complain. But it does my nut!

Oh and they're the sort of self centred people who have no consideration for anyone else. The party I complained about was an 18th. Apparently I am inconsiderate, after all it's HER 18th BIRTHDAY. (never mind the neighbours with babies, old people and people who just want to fucking sleep).

And breathe.

BoojaBooja Thu 21-Jul-11 21:10:43

I was thinking 10pm, but I'll leave it to 11pm then. Thanks, needanewname.

needanewname Thu 21-Jul-11 21:13:17

Good luck, we had teenage neighbours in our old place - they were a nightmare. Was constantly complaining about them, luckily they moved out before we sold up so didn't have to say anything.

DoMeDon Thu 21-Jul-11 21:17:15

Selfish - I really feel for you OP. Agree with custardo

BoojaBooja Thu 21-Jul-11 21:21:58

Custardo, I once called the police because there was a lot of screaming and the music was so loud at 3am that nobody in the house could sleep. They just said that there's nothing they can do about loud noise inside the house. If it was in the garden (which it wasn't - it was in the conservatory) then they'd come. They said I had to wait until the morning and call the council, which I did.

Nell799 Thu 21-Jul-11 21:31:42

I had an issue a while back with a young family . The dad was practising to be a DJ. After having noise invade your life it becomes stressful and time becomes irrelevant . We kept a diary and the council actually came out and installed a noise recorder . We were told to switch it on regardless of time , when it became an invasion , and record short sections . The neighbours got a letter informing them if they went above a certain level any time of the day , they would remove their sound system , tv , computer , etc . Things that made a noise . It worked although he did attempt to become nasty .

If its bothering you , ask them to turn it off .

BurningBridges Thu 21-Jul-11 22:53:13

our 60 something neighbour at the bottom of the garden has installed a sound system and a sort of "garden room" at the bottom of her garden. Trouble is, our garden is only 30 foot long, so when she puts her Tom Jones on, we can hear it in our house with the windows shut - means we can't use the garden at all. She starts with some Pet Clarke about 3pm and then really goes for it with things like Olivia Newton John, even some Northern Soul, then turns it all off about 8pm. Still, could be worse .... hmm

BoojaBooja Thu 21-Jul-11 23:13:16

BurningBridges, that sounds crazy! When I lived in London (years ago) there was an old boy who used to play Chas N Dave very loudly. He'd sit there, with the windows open, listening to Rabbit, Rabbit (whatever it's called) with a really serious, almost angry, look on his face. It was very odd, but very funny!

Well, the music's finally stopped. PHEW! I thought we were in for another all-nighter.

BurningBridges Thu 21-Jul-11 23:13:51

Hurrah for that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now