Talk

Advanced search

to want to send my children to Somalia so they understand what starving actually means?

(7 Posts)
joshandjamie Thu 21-Jul-11 19:59:00

Because if I have to hear 'I'm starving' one more time after they've just eaten a huge meal and pudding followed by snacks I might just do it.

That is all. (I've had a bad day, in case you can't tell)

squeakytoy Thu 21-Jul-11 19:59:42

Just worm them .. it would be cheaper grin

Sirzy Thu 21-Jul-11 20:02:03

That was one phrase that was always banned when I was little, when it was mentioned it was normally met with a "you are very lucky to not have the faintest idea what starving feels like"

If they are old enough to understand watching a bit of the news may help them realise they may be peckish but they certainly aren't starving!

VeronicaCake Thu 21-Jul-11 20:07:02

Probably a little bit unreasonable! Maybe another way of looking at is just to be grateful that when your children say they are starving you a) know they are not and b) could probably give them more food if you wanted to. Somali mothers don't have either luxury right now.

Oh and you could show them this, and point out that some of the children are so malnourished that even though they are 3 or 4 years old they only look as big as babies. And maybe even suggest if they have some spare holiday money they could make a big difference: https://www.donate.bt.com/DEC/dec_form_eaca.html?p_form_id=DEC01

maiT Thu 21-Jul-11 20:12:33

i don't think you are serious, if push came to shove you wouldn't do it. you can let of some steam though smile countless times i always remind DD how fortunate she is and how grateful she should be to have all she has but it never sinks in.

worraliberty Thu 21-Jul-11 20:14:06

Squeaky grin

HighBrows Thu 21-Jul-11 20:22:58

YOu are not being unreasonable and maybe your kids can pick up mine on route!
GRRRR to hungry kids that don't know what hunger really is... grrr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now