Talk

Advanced search

To have thought a hen party would be at night?

(19 Posts)
ElliotW Thu 21-Jul-11 18:38:29

A uni friend who I haven't seen in a while recently invited me to her hen party this weekend, but I texted her yesterday to ask what time to meet and she said 3pm!!

I have two DC and elderly parents. I can't go out partying at 3 in the afternoon, and its definitely not a hen tea or anything like that, it's in a club and there are going to be strippers! So I texted her to say that I couldn't make it then and would it still be on about 6ish? She replied saying "I told you it was at 3, you should have said you can't come earlier. It'll probably be finished."

I know I should have checked the time and it is rude to say no now, especially as she didn't actually say "night," but I genuinely did think it would be at night! AIBU?

TartyDoris Thu 21-Jul-11 18:40:24

Why isn't it at night?

worraliberty Thu 21-Jul-11 18:40:43

YANBU I wouldn't bother going

Groovee Thu 21-Jul-11 18:41:56

My friend had her hen night in the afternoon as she was never awake in the evening. We had maniures then cocktails then on for a meal. Worked out well for all of us.

ElliotW Thu 21-Jul-11 18:42:03

I don't know, she doesn't have children and is on holiday (she's a teacher.) Her childhood friend is organising it.

thisisyesterday Thu 21-Jul-11 18:45:40

bizarre! when ir ead the thread title i was going to wsay it's not that unusual to do something during the day for a hen "night"... but i would normally expect that to be some activity or other, followed by dinner/clubbing afterwrads

so this is slightly odd.... what clubs are open at 3pm???

i would politely decline. or get a babysitter?

Cocoflower Thu 21-Jul-11 18:47:22

If it was an afternoon tea, spa day etc then normal.

But it's not- so what club is open at 3pm?!

SandStorm Thu 21-Jul-11 18:50:26

Doesn't sound like much of party to me. 3 - 6 is the sort of time children's parties are at. Strippers in the afternoon? I may be in the minority but I would need a hefty amount of alcohol to find that even vaguely entertaining mid afternoon isn't the time I really like to drink.

Stay at home.

ElliotW Thu 21-Jul-11 18:51:05

I can't understand it either, I didn't think the clubs opened until midnight!

catgirl1976 Thu 21-Jul-11 18:58:55

What a rubbish sounding hen party. I bet the day shift strippers are reallyropey grin. YANBU - Don't go!

snicker Thu 21-Jul-11 19:02:25

Odd. I used to work in a club and at Christmas a taxi firm had their party in the afternoon, with strippers. It was bizarre but obviously made sense for taxi drivers in December.

thisisyesterday Thu 21-Jul-11 19:05:26

it isn't one of those learn to make cocktail type things? they're in a bar/club quite often i think...

ElliotW Thu 21-Jul-11 19:08:23

I really don't think so, she didn't mention anything like that when I was speaking to her. Although that would explain why there's a time slot. confused

Lady1nTheRadiator Thu 21-Jul-11 19:19:53

Can't you just ask why it is in the middle of the day?

nojustificationneeded Thu 21-Jul-11 19:21:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ElliotW Thu 21-Jul-11 19:27:27

Have just phoned another friend, she says they've booked a club- but no one else will be there, just us oldies and I didn't even know you could do that! It's really bizarre.

Thank you for the replies!

33goingon64 Thu 21-Jul-11 19:35:15

Er, I think YABU. You were invited to a party, sounds like you had been told the start time but had forgotten. It's no big deal to you, if you can't go cos of family commitments then don't go and let her think it's your loss (frankly sounds like my idea of hell but that's by the by). But I certainly wouldn't be cross with her for holding her hen do wherever and whenever she pleases - I'd be pissed off if a guest suddently couldn't make a party cos she hadn't read the invitation properly.

ElliotW Thu 21-Jul-11 19:47:27

Oh, I'm not cross with her per say; it's just I'm sure she never specified the time when she said about the party (no written invites.) I can see where you're coming from though.

Serves me right for assuming I suppose!

LadyClariceCannockMonty Fri 22-Jul-11 13:07:54

YANBU; it's a bit weird unless it's a learn-to-make-cocktails thing or similar, and if it is then I don't know why she hasn't said.

Personally I'd rather drink in the day than at night <lush> but in a relaxed-brunch context rather than in a club with only me and my group in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now