Talk

Advanced search

Arghhhh AIBU I don't think so

(9 Posts)
imnobody Thu 21-Jul-11 17:18:59

I work in a hotel in Greece, father comes down to reception on Tuesday to tell me his son is vomiting and wants to know how to get a Dr. I explain the situation and tell him due to the extreme heat at the moment (44C in the shade) to not leave it too long as little ones go down fast when dehydrated in the heat.

Call out Dr and he has Gastroenteritis. Dr gives him injection for the V+D and rehydration medication and tells him to keep him in the room for 48 hours. Great.

Next day I see the father and he says son has perked up loads and points out where he is by the pool hmm I asked him what the Dr said and when he told me about the 48 hours he says that its ok as he is better. I explain to him that its not just for his son to recover but also because he is contagious. The man just nods.

Next day daughter has come down with it and they are still by the pool.

Today mum has it, she has stayed in her room but kids are in the pool.

AIBU when I told him off a bit, saying you see how contagious it is and I hope that there are no newly pregnant people or other young people who get it from him being selfish.

He nods and walks off. I am now a little bit worried that he might write about me being "rude"

But my god how selfish, V+D and letting them in the pool. angry

Sirzy Thu 21-Jul-11 17:21:45

He is the rude one, I feel sorry for them that there holiday has been ruined but that doesn't excuse risking ruining other people's holidays.

WorkInProgress Thu 21-Jul-11 17:43:08

Are you kidding? If I was one of your other guests and I found out I would be the one writing negative comments about the hotel. Are they with a tour operator? Couldn't you get them to back you up ?

hellospoon Thu 21-Jul-11 17:55:43

YANBU.. if i found out someone was letting their contagious kids in the pool and the hotel was not making sure they stay away i would be complaining.

You need to speak to your manager and get them to make sure this family stay contained, i would mention to your manager people may blame the hotel for an outbreak in illness if not contained

Pixieonabroomstick Thu 21-Jul-11 17:59:57

God no. That is awful. Can you speak to a manager ? You might have to arrange for the pool to be closed/deep cleaned as well or it will spread.

ramade Thu 21-Jul-11 18:03:01

Well the way I see it, you were/are protecting your other guests.

SomethingProfound Thu 21-Jul-11 18:03:33

i'mnobody You were totally in the right, I've been in your position before when I worked in hotels, and you did the right thing.

Even if the man in question complains your manager will know that you did the right thing, I don't know about health and safety in Greece, but here (UK) you would of had a duty to your other guests to make sure that they were not being infected, although I do think you should speak to your line manager to a) make sure they are aware of the situation and b) so that they can have a word with this family to ensure it does not happen again as they clearly are not listening to you.

Good luck

soverylucky Thu 21-Jul-11 18:06:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LaWeasel Thu 21-Jul-11 18:13:07

I wonder if you could ask them to leave the hotel if they keep ignoring you? Maybe something to chat to your line manager about?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now