Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dentist Cancellations

(14 Posts)
Knacks Thu 21-Jul-11 16:55:50

I made appointments for me and 2 eldest kids at dentist a year ago for this Aug 2. They sent letter saying they couldn't do this and I called them to re-arrange for next day. Had letter this week saying they couldn't do appointment, can I call and re-arrange. Called, they said dentist is on hols then - fair point, everyone needs a holiday. I try to book again for Aug as it is during school hols (I don't agree you should just take kids out of school for standard appointments), they have no appointment. I then try to book for after school (I have children at different schools so am a bit restricted). They can't do ANYTHING until October. I e-mailed them as they requested to be seen by another dentist and they have just e-mailed me to say there is nothing available during the school holidays or after school until at least Oct and I should call one of their other practices (all of them between 3-10 miles away) to register with them and book appointment. I can't really do this on a bike whereas I can walk to my dentist. What to do?

MediumPretty Thu 21-Jul-11 16:57:23

Take them out of school to see the dentist.

YellowDinosaur Thu 21-Jul-11 16:57:32

Make an appointment for October. ASk them to be given first refusal for any cancellations during the school holidays given that they have cancelled the appointment you made in good faith some time ago.

Not that difficult surely?!

Knacks Thu 21-Jul-11 17:10:04

But it is a bit tricky, I cycle 4 miles each way to work, have 2 kids at 2 different primary schools (not my own doing) so it would mean me virtually having a whole morning off work to pick each of them up, then get to appointment (which normally runs at least half an hour late), dropping them off again and cycling back to work. Can't get away with having half a day off as contracted for term-time and it takes the piss to just treat it as an appointment for a whole morning for a check up.

valiumredhead Thu 21-Jul-11 17:20:31

I take ds out of school for dentist appts - I would have to wait for months otherwise - it seems to be standard at his school to do so.

SurreyDad Thu 21-Jul-11 18:09:46

Complain to the local NHS as well - unless they hear from disgruntled patients, they will think everything is hunky dory. (I mean complain - don't go through PALS as anything going through PALS doesn't count as a complaint).

MediumPretty Thu 21-Jul-11 18:24:27

Can't your DH take them?

Knacks Thu 21-Jul-11 18:34:52

No, it's my appointment too.

jasper Thu 21-Jul-11 18:49:47

avoid in between meals sugar , brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste, and floss. grin

jasper Thu 21-Jul-11 18:50:26

You're not one of my patients are you? smile

VeronicaCake Thu 21-Jul-11 19:18:42

Are NHS dentists abnormally busy right now? I'm also having to make appointments months in advance for treatment (fortunately nothing painful so I can wait).

This isn't the fault of the practice. If they are overstretched they are overstretched. I'd agree that it is worth raising as a complaint with the PCT responsible for commissioning your dental services (assuming this is an NHS dentist).

Oh and Jasper's advice is probably the best of all!

jasper Thu 21-Jul-11 19:24:17

at our NHS practice we have no regular appointments till well into September.

It's really tough going.

We always see anyone with toothache or even just a concern the same day, although they usually have to wait a bit but noone minds

Knacks Thu 21-Jul-11 19:25:44

Thanks all - LOL Jasper, if only my children would listen! I have to say I wondered what might happen if I had phoned up wanting a private appointment (we are their NHS patients). Are they allowed to reserve some appointments for private patients, I booked a whole bloody year ago and they managed to fit in my MIL when she was patient at one of their other surgeries and needed some lengthy treatment that cost the same as a car (I kid you not!).

jasper Thu 21-Jul-11 19:38:26

I'm not sure how it work with private patients as we do only NHS. I don't really understand how practices can do both ( I am in the minority with this viewpoint )

We do encourage regular check ups to be booked well in advance but the problem with this is sometimes something comes up in the interim and we need to cancel. If we cancel we always go the extra mile to accommodate the patient asap ( working through lunch, coming in early, staying late ).

the downside of this is that I am a worn out wreck confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now