Talk

Advanced search

to think that 'taste the difference' cava (and the ilk) are better than cheap champagne

(13 Posts)
CalmaLlamaDown Thu 21-Jul-11 16:49:03

Or am I being tight? It's for our wedding anniversary dinner..any recommendation?

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 21-Jul-11 16:50:05

If it's wet and in a glass, bubbling gently, your guests will love it.

Insomnia11 Thu 21-Jul-11 17:10:20

Yes, also prosecco is very very nice and reasonably priced. We got San Marco I think from Waitrose. Some people think it's sweet, but it is usually dry and crisp, eminently quaffable. Asti Spumante is the sweet one.

spookshowangel Thu 21-Jul-11 17:19:14

hell yes, sainsbury prosecco is fantabulous and lush.

lurkerspeaks Thu 21-Jul-11 18:07:15

What a ridiculous thread ......of course all decent (which is what I assume you mean by 'Taste the difference') doesn't taste better than 'cheap' champagne.

The actual contents of the bottles matter enormously. I've recently had very disappointing fairly expensive cave and excellent cheap fizz.

If it matters this much to you go to the wineshop and ask someone what they would recommend.

My own personal recommendation would be to try some English sparkling. I really like Ridgeview, but Chapel Down and Nyetimber are also big reliable brands.

Waitrose have the best selection of the supermarkets.

Al0uiseG Thu 21-Jul-11 18:21:55

Sainsburys own brand Rose champagne is fantastic and I love it.

EggyAllenPoe Thu 21-Jul-11 18:27:37

sainsbos have good range imo - TTD cava = great. i second their prosecco. but it really depends which cava-thing and which shampoo.

Nyetimber is not not not cheap! but v. yummy.

as drinking guests may have had beers, welcome drinks, table wine etc by the time champagne is served - expensive champagne is a bit de trop?

CalmaLlamaDown Thu 21-Jul-11 18:27:43

Sorry lurkerspeaks if you find this thread ridicilous, i know v little about wine and we don't have a waitrose within 100 miles of where we live either!

Thanks to others for advice, i am off to get sainsbury prosecco and might crack open a bottle later just to make sure it's ok........

trixymalixy Thu 21-Jul-11 18:31:28

I like Sainsburys bog standard brut cava more than a lot of champagnes.

OP if it's alcoholic your guests will not care how much it costs.

Taghain Thu 21-Jul-11 18:35:47

Taste is personal so if you like it more, it's better.
Some people like champagne more, others like cava or prosecco.
Go for what you like.

hifi Thu 21-Jul-11 19:45:26

san leo from waitrose is great, prosecco, £8>99 sometime on offer for 6.99

ClaireDeLoon Thu 21-Jul-11 19:48:16

I was also going to suggest prosecco, I think so fresh and drinkable. I think I've had bad cava experiences though as don't like at all.

MissPenteuth Thu 21-Jul-11 19:51:28

I think what you mean is that you often get more nice sparkling wine for your money than nice champagne, as with champagne you're paying for the name?

hmm at ridiculous. There's no need to be rude lurkerspeaks; with that kind of snobby attitude maybe you should go back to lurking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now