Talk

Advanced search

to have gone bonkers at DH for spending his day off watching telly...

(16 Posts)
FannyAdamsToo Thu 21-Jul-11 16:31:46

... whilst the house is a pigsty around him?

Just got back from work, gone nuts as DH is lying on the sofa complaining that he is knackered whilst the kids have been with the childminder and I have been at work. The whole house is a mess and I will now get the joy of cleaning with the kids on Saturday.

Should I have cut him some slack???

itisnearlysummer Thu 21-Jul-11 16:35:17

Well ordinarily I'd say no and YANBU. But it's exactly what I've done today.

He could at least have done that mad 1/2 hour sprint around and stick a load of washing on so that he can pretend that he's spent the day doing housework.

He just needs more practise that's all! grin

VelvetSnow Thu 21-Jul-11 16:37:22

Based on your OP, I'd say YANBU but I need to know more....

Do you both work full time?
Why is the house a pigsty? Don't you clean regularly?
Does DH normally help around the house?

dragontalk Thu 21-Jul-11 16:37:54

YANBU and he has been rather thoughtless. Unless he has a mindbogglingly stressful and/or tiring job and has earnt a day lazing around!

Sausagesarenottheonlyfruit Thu 21-Jul-11 16:37:59

Does he normally do housework on his day off? Or is he usually a lazy tyke? What are your expectations?

Ephiny Thu 21-Jul-11 16:42:55

Why do you have to do the cleaning (and look after the kids) on Saturday - will he be working then? If not can't he do one or both of those things?

My DP might well do this - but at least he'd be embarrassed at having been so useless, and would then actually tidy up in the evening! Most of us like a day lazing around if we can, so don't blame him for that really, but it's not fair if you're working and doing all the housework while he does nothing. If it's a one-off lazy day then I wouldn't worry, but if you generally have an unfair split of work and responsibilities, that needs sorting out.

pearlym Thu 21-Jul-11 16:43:05

Men can seem to just not see the mess. If on a day off, I will always do a load of washing, clean kitchen and livingroom adn loo, will piack up a bit elasewehre, dry washnig and put away, then take kids after school. By contrats, OH will have day off adn will be madly putting wet washing on radiator when I get home at 8pm. They need better trainign adn YANBU in being ticked off.

FannyAdamsToo Thu 21-Jul-11 16:43:30

1. Yes
2. House is a pigsty because we have small children and a very small house so it is quite chaotic and we were away last week so loads of washing and ironing to do and the bit that would make you cry is the bathroom (which since original post DH has reluctantly gone to clean - I did get quite shouty!)
3. Yes - DH normally helps around the house although most things take forever when he does them and he can't do anything (according to him) if he has the kids.

VelvetSnow Thu 21-Jul-11 16:46:00

Well in that case YANBU.

Go bonkers a little more, then go for a nice relaxing bath and leave him to it grin

FannyAdamsToo Thu 21-Jul-11 16:46:04

DH will be working on Saturday - hence having the day off today. I will have the kids. I will clean.
He will have the kids on Sunday whilst I do a bit of freelance work from home. He will not clean.

FannyAdamsToo Thu 21-Jul-11 16:48:07

Hopefully, if I keep shouting there won't be much left for me to do come Saturday!! wink

aquashiv Thu 21-Jul-11 17:16:15

Why do you have to do in on Sat. Cant he do his bit on Sunday?

lovesicecream Thu 21-Jul-11 18:11:12

If he couldn't do his bit today when the kids wernt around im not sure you'd get him to do it sunday when they are!

Cocoflower Thu 21-Jul-11 18:31:52

Hmm.. but everyone needs a day off total nothing dont they just once in a while?

aquashiv Thu 21-Jul-11 18:33:04

Thats just bollox ofcourse he can children or not children.

zukiecat Thu 21-Jul-11 18:38:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now