Talk

Advanced search

not to believe riot police need a toilet break every 45 minutes

(43 Posts)
babybarrister Thu 21-Jul-11 11:07:23

obviously pregnant riot police excepted and those with medical conditions - but in general??!

I sit in court from 10.30-1 - it is very rare that anyone in the courtroom - witnesses, judge, lawyers, needs a "comfort break" - do riot police have smaller bladders? grin

www.metro.co.uk/news/869940-riot-police-need-toilet-breaks-police-official-says

JeelyPiece Thu 21-Jul-11 11:10:01

There are no pregnant riot police! You are put on light duties as soon as you inform then you're pregnant. Same for many other medical conditions too.

YANBU although I haven't read the link smile

babybarrister Thu 21-Jul-11 11:12:42

well I sort of suspected as much but did not want to be seen as not having considered special cases .....!!

DoMeDon Thu 21-Jul-11 11:16:50

No they don't need the toilet every 45 minutes but are entitled to a break every 45 minutes if they need it (for refreshements, toilet, etc.) Sitting in a court/office is a lot different to standing in full riot gear (sometimes facing an abusive crowd)

babybarrister Thu 21-Jul-11 11:18:47

depends on the judge ....grin

scurryfunge Thu 21-Jul-11 11:19:03

It is the lack of opportunity for having a break that is given as an excuse for rudeness. With all the kit on, it is hot and uncomfortable and officers will overdrink water- needing more toilet breaks. This sort of duty extends into hours and hours though not just a lack of a break every 45 mins.
I don't think it should be an excuse but it is not an easy duty.

QueenCee Thu 21-Jul-11 11:20:23

I agree that every 45 mins is excessive but I don't think you can compare your working conditions with that of Riot Police.
You will work in a comfortable temperature, probably sat down with water on hand.
Riot police can be in extreme weather conditions in uncomfortable clothing with no food, drink or rest for hours. Seriously, events like the notting hill carnival are horrendous with officers working 18 hour days with no breaks....often in very hot weather with people lobbing stuff at them. And yes, I speak from experience.
As I say 45 mins is excessive but improved conditions are reqd. They might be Police but they are still human.
Police wouldn't treat prisoners this way, so why should they treated to such appaulingly conditions.
Rant over!!!!

headfairy Thu 21-Jul-11 11:22:21

er, have you ever worn full body armour? Its heavy, hot and exhausting. A break of any sort every 45 minutes is perfectly acceptible.

babybarrister Thu 21-Jul-11 12:14:15

no, never worn body armour - only a wig and gown! I am "on my feet" though for 2 and a hlf hours but not moving around I accept. 45 mins just seems excessive - an aerobics class might last an hour or an hour and a half ....

GiddyPickle Thu 21-Jul-11 12:16:11

If I was in the middle of a rioting mob hurling stuff at me and throwing missiles I'd be needing to wee an awful lot more frequently than every 45 minutes!!

headfairy Thu 21-Jul-11 13:15:57

but in an aerobics class you're wearing flimsy lycra or other sports wear. Not several kilos of body armour, and carrying a 6kg shield. Whilst having petrol bombs and missiles are being thrown at you. Believe me, there is absolutely no comparisom.

Flippingebay Thu 21-Jul-11 13:19:40

I'd say they need a break every 45 minutes, sitting in a nice warm court room isn't exactly on the same level as standing infront of an angry mob of people wanting to rip your head off.... I'd need to go to the loo more frequently than every 45 minutes if I was in their shoes grin

GwanShoooo Thu 21-Jul-11 13:20:48

have you ever been on riot duty OP?

i dont think you even have the vaguest idea how terrifying it is

OrangeHat Thu 21-Jul-11 13:32:48

The police need a toilet break every 45 mins when eg kettling people, while the kettled people including children, pregnant women and old people don't need to go for hours and hours and hours even if they beg.

Right-ho seems reasonable to me.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Thu 21-Jul-11 13:43:30

Wow OP you are incredibly clueless! I'm amazed!

I would imagine that the breaks are necessary not just for water and weeing but to come out of a very stressful situation for air. The breaks are probably necessary for them to remain good at their job and calm no matter with what they are faced.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 21-Jul-11 13:47:25

They're all lazy bastards with weak bladders. Or perhaps it's just a very physically demanding job and adrenaline must have some strange effects on the body.

TartyDoris Thu 21-Jul-11 13:50:17

Sitting in court is a lot easier than being a riot cop. How many lawyers have fire extinguishers and petrol bombs thrown at them while they are on duty?
I bet the OP is paid considerably more than riot cops too.

purplepidjincantatem Thu 21-Jul-11 13:51:16

45 minutes is a bloody long time to be in a sustained violent situation. The fight-or-flight hormone levels in those circumstances can cause permanent physical and psychological damage - it's the cause of PTSD.

I wouldn't expect them to need to actually pee every 45 minutes, but a couple of minutes hiding in the loo can do wonders wink

Kladdkaka Thu 21-Jul-11 13:57:23

If I were in that situation I wouldn't need to go for a wee every 45 minutes. But I may need to go for a change of underwear every 5.

valiumredhead Thu 21-Jul-11 13:59:30

I'd need a toilet break every 5 minutes if a riot was heading towards me in full force!!

TartyDoris Thu 21-Jul-11 14:07:58

French riot police get issued beer at lunchtime, so that would explain them needing the toilet.

TeriHatchetJob Thu 21-Jul-11 14:13:18

hahhahhhahahahahahahaha - babybarrister comparing policing a riot in full gear with all the shite coming towards you to an aerobics class!!!!!!!!!

I will never be able to take anything she says seriously - ever.....love it........

Helenagrace Thu 21-Jul-11 14:37:06

Whether they need it or not they have vocal and well organised unions who manage to get them all sorts of extra payments and perks.

When I managed an A&E department we had a number severely injured people admitted from a dreadful multiple crash. The victims had horrific injuries and some were children. We had victims of this crash in the department for hours as well as devastated relatives and we even had journalists trying to get into the department. The police officers all had counselling, were given days off to recover and some were put on light duties for a few weeks. The medics, nurses and paramedics just got on with the job. The police officers were actually enjoying telling my staff how much they were going to milk the situation for.

I'll try and find the statistic but someone did a study a few years back which said that A&E nurses were much more likely to be assaulted or verbally abused than a police officer over the course of a year.

Ands yes I do know that being in a riot situation is not the same as run of the mill policing. I also know that sometimes a managing a riot with back up is probably preferable to managing a city centre A&E department on a Friday night.

headfairy Thu 21-Jul-11 14:47:05

orangehat I have sympathy for old and pregnant people however they have chosen to go to protests and kettling is a well known police tactic. I'd say if you don't want to be in that situation, don't get involved.

helenagrace I don't doubt you for a minute. The inequalities in our society depress me so much.

OrangeHat Thu 21-Jul-11 17:00:24

Yes headfairy, I read an article earlier saying that many people are prevented from exercising their right to peaceful protest because of kettling.

I understand that the tactic of kettling is under review by the police.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now