Talk

Advanced search

To not have a clue where we should move to. Have narrowed it down to somewhere with easy access to Waterloo or Victoria. That still leaves most of the South East!

(90 Posts)
TheSnickeringFox Thu 21-Jul-11 09:11:14

My dh is trying to persuade me we should move to Surrey. Has anyone seen the thread on Surrey in Property/DIY? It's bloody terrifying.

We are very definitely lower to middle middle class. Our income is most certainly double, not triple figure and we are not professionals in the strict sense of the word.

The only thing we can agree on is that we need somewhere with easy train access to Waterloo or Victoria for work. Other than that, who knows?! Currently in London btw so realistic about house prices. Realistic as in we know we are looking for a maisonette.

So, any ideas about where might be a good match and we won't be laughed out of town? Somewhere with young families on a not sky-high income, somewhere nice to walk the dog...?

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 21-Jul-11 09:13:18

Come to Epsom. It's lovely here smile

TheSugarPlumFairy Thu 21-Jul-11 09:14:23

Guildford. Its lovely and there are still some housing bargins to be snapped up.

MindtheGappp Thu 21-Jul-11 09:16:03

How far from Waterloo would you consider?

merlincat Thu 21-Jul-11 09:17:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheSnickeringFox Thu 21-Jul-11 09:19:47

Ah, merlincat I would LOVE to live in Brighton. Unfortunately dh's work takes him all over London so we're probably looking at max 40-45 mins into Waterloo/Victoria.

Zimm Thu 21-Jul-11 09:20:03

Sugarplumfairy - am just leaving Guildford for Horsham due to shocking house prices - where are these bargains you speak of pls?

OP - Guildford is lovely, gutted to leave but overpriced in my view unless you live in North Guildford which we don't want to do. Horsham has excellent review for young familes and we are looking forward to living there. can get 3/4 beds under 250k is you shop around!

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 21-Jul-11 09:22:34

On second thoughts don't come here. I've just read that property thread hmm

TheSnickeringFox Thu 21-Jul-11 09:23:03

Gwendoline, Epsom is on the list...why do you like it?

Tsk, it's tricky. For someone who is neither white nor British my dh is incredibly White-middle-class-British aspirational. I on the other hand am a secret hippy. Hence the hankering after somewhere like Brighton.

merlincat Thu 21-Jul-11 09:23:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheSnickeringFox Thu 21-Jul-11 09:23:58

Yup, it doesn't do Surrey any favours!

MrsKravitz Thu 21-Jul-11 09:24:22

How much do you have to spend? I have a friend who has a house in groombridge for sale? Sorry I dont know london so dont know if its close.

MindtheGappp Thu 21-Jul-11 09:24:54

Woking probably has the fastest train service with a good range of housing.

BarryShitpeas Thu 21-Jul-11 09:29:17

Ham has lots of maisonettes, and lovely places to walk the dog.

Zimm Thu 21-Jul-11 09:29:28

Not sure Woking is so good for DC/countryside though?
Godalming has a good service to Waterloo and better house prices than Guildford, very good for DC, good schools, countryside etc.

Zimm Thu 21-Jul-11 09:29:52

Where is Ham??

MrsKravitz Thu 21-Jul-11 09:30:02

There is a place called Ham? shock

TheSnickeringFox Thu 21-Jul-11 09:30:05

Our absolute max would be around 240, but that would include mortgaging ourselves up to the eyebrows, living on beans for the next decade and fluttering our eyelashes at both sets of parents.

TheSnickeringFox Thu 21-Jul-11 09:31:10

More realistically around 200k

Zimm Thu 21-Jul-11 09:32:52

Then guildford and Epsom are out! What do you want for that money? Beds etc....

Zimm Thu 21-Jul-11 09:33:54

Found Ham - it is richmond so I shouldn't think within OP's range - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ham,_London. Richmond is silly money!

FakePlasticTrees Thu 21-Jul-11 09:34:28

Move to Kent - trains from Sevenoaks/Tonbridge go to Waterloo East and/or to Victoria.

TheSnickeringFox Thu 21-Jul-11 09:35:26

Two bed maisonette. This is all good info, if a little depressing!

LaurieFairyCake Thu 21-Jul-11 09:36:35

Berkhamsted, 30 minutes from Euston - very posh, very nice - ugyish house

character but smaller

Hemel Hempstead, 26 minutes from Euston - lovely cottage in town centre, 3 minutes walk from large park/moor

TheSnickeringFox Thu 21-Jul-11 09:36:57

Fake, do we have a realistic budget for Sevenoaks? It's absolutely stuffed with people of dh's nationality (Japanese), which is a big plus point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now