Talk

Advanced search

To not pick people on freecycle who just reply with a blank message

(33 Posts)
nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 21:09:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cfc Wed 20-Jul-11 21:13:22

Reply that you keep on getting blank msgs from them and you think there's something up with their email.

Didn't really understand your last bit of your post!

jeanvaljean Wed 20-Jul-11 21:13:42

YANBU. I ignore these types too. Same with people on eBay who ask questions without any punctuation and the answer is clearly in the description. They can take a hike!

nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 21:20:42

cfc Wed 20-Jul-11 21:23:03

Ha ha! sounds like your brain is as addled as my brain is today!!

EightiesChick Wed 20-Jul-11 21:27:33

YANBU. I would add a line to your messages saying 'No blank or automated messages - these addresses will be blocked'. If your Freecycle group allow that - I know some are very particular on etiquette.

Greenshadow Wed 20-Jul-11 21:27:52

Never had this, but presumably it is a dealer/boot saler with some automated system to respond to everything advertised.

Of course you shouldn't choose them, even if no one else replies.

EightiesChick Wed 20-Jul-11 21:28:31

I never give anything to someone who I suspect has sent an automated message. Read on here that it is pretty common to get them though.

TalesOfTheUnexpected Wed 20-Jul-11 22:00:57

What gets on my nerves is the people that reply just saying "can I have your address".

Errr, I know I said it was free but more than one person may want it and I'd like to choose please, not just give my address out to a complete stranger!

Another one e-mailed to say "u stil have this plez"

nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 22:17:25

alowVera Wed 20-Jul-11 22:18:03

Don't get me started on the ones that seem to give a good reason for wanting something, then the next week you discover it up for sale in the local paper.

nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 22:20:49

alowVera Wed 20-Jul-11 22:24:09

Or the plain old "I'll have it". Um, no, not asking like that you won't. (help I'm turning into my mother)

EndoplasmicReticulum Wed 20-Jul-11 22:25:10

If you get a really quick reply saying "I'd like this" without mentioning item by name, then it's an automated reply, I reckon.

My pet hate is "I'll have it, ring me on (mobile number) to arrange pickup"

Erm, no, I will not be ringing any mobiles.

I pick people who say please.

I'm not really bothered if they ebay / boot sale things, to be honest, as the benefit of freecycle for me is keeping things out of landfill. If I'm freecycling something it's usually because I can't be bothered to ebay it myself and it's too big for the charity shop.

nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 22:28:47

LadyThumb Wed 20-Jul-11 22:31:49

I concur with Endo - I refuse to spend money phoning a mobile phone number when I am giving something away for free. You want it, you offer to phone me if I choose you.

Martha85 Wed 20-Jul-11 22:37:22

YANBU. Just ignore them. If someone can't ask nicely then they don't deserve the item.

PaperBank Thu 21-Jul-11 08:35:02

Just ignore the blank messages. I wait a day or so to see who replies. Some people reply to every offer immediately but not everyone spends all day online. I choose people who are polite and they might give a brief reason why they need the item but I avoid the very OTT ones.

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Thu 21-Jul-11 09:09:50

So glad to see a thread on freecycle today. After recommendadtion from a mnetter I have joined my local one, am sorting out stuff to give away and dh is really keen also.

But my question is I replied to a message and tbh didn't really know what to say without it soundingike begging/sob story as I know from Reading threads like this a bit more than do you still have this is required! Help me get the balance right please.

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Thu 21-Jul-11 09:17:30

Sorry didn't mean how can I make sure I get picked just meant stay to right side of the line iyswim

JenniL1977 Thu 21-Jul-11 09:23:29

You have to be vetted to get on my local freecycle! But then, to be fair, someone was actually giving away a caravan the other day!
I think it's just luck with the replies namechange - if someone likes the sound of you then they'll pick you. I make sure that I tell them when I can pick up, give them the option to text me, and why we want whatever they're giving away (am currently collecting baby stuff for our first one).

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Thu 21-Jul-11 09:28:03

Thanks JenniL1977 smile

nojustificationneeded Thu 21-Jul-11 10:07:31

UsingMainlySpoons Thu 21-Jul-11 10:10:25

nojustificationneeded Thu 21-Jul-11 10:22:10

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now