Talk

Advanced search

Landlord has arranged someone to view my rented property but asking me not to tell the agent :(

(22 Posts)
nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 19:22:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TartyMcFarty Wed 20-Jul-11 19:25:02

I don't think you'd.achieve anything by telling the agent tbh.

nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 19:30:04

EldonAve Wed 20-Jul-11 19:31:35

Why would you need to tell the letting agent? What has it got to do with them?

eurochick Wed 20-Jul-11 19:33:41

The landlord has a contract with the letting agent. If anyone is breaching it, it is him.

Telling the agent will just piss off the landlord and backfire on you. I can't imagine why you would want to tell the agent. It's really nothing to do with you.

TartyMcFarty Wed 20-Jul-11 19:33:42

I don't think it would be in the agent's interest to hold you to account in any way. As far as they know, you didn't ask questions because it's not your business. Perhaps you should start looking around as a contingency plan. Your landlord can't have it all ways.

nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 19:33:56

lubberlich Wed 20-Jul-11 19:34:01

Landlord trumps letting agent.
Why do you care what a letting agent thinks?
Far more important to try and keep a roof over your head.

nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 19:35:15

nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 19:36:23

lubberlich Wed 20-Jul-11 19:54:05

So you are worried that if the letting agent finds out that the landlord has been round to see you etc that he will "punish" you for it?
Why would he?
Letting agents are in the business of making money - if you pay the rent that is all that matters. You can't be held accountable for the landlord's actions.

Zimm Wed 20-Jul-11 20:05:19

There is no way this can back fire on you. Don't worry about it at all. No need whatsoever to tell agent.

pubquizhurtmybrain Wed 20-Jul-11 20:12:03

Surely the letting agent works for the landlord, as in they pay agent a fee. What problem would agent have? what kind of 'too many questions' could the agent ask? I really don't understand, but I'm sure you won't get in any kind of trouble if you keep quiet, just plead ignorance.

nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 20:14:39

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Wed 20-Jul-11 20:17:29

Your direct communications with the landlord are nothing to do with the letting agents.

I'm curious - what is 'a small deposit up front'?

nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 20:19:41

OnceICaughtAFishAlive Wed 20-Jul-11 20:35:06

Is the property for sale with the same estate agent as it is let through?
It sounds like he is trying to get out of the estate agent selling fees, either from the selling estate agent or the letting agent (if they are different). The letting contract may have a clause which stipulates a selling fee.

If he's a decent bloke, ask him is his intention to sell the property with tenants.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Wed 20-Jul-11 20:35:38

Aha, I see!! Even so, there isn't any need for you to tell the agents anything about your conversations with the landlord at the present time.

If the landlord should give you notice to quit and you go back to the letting agents to search for another property, I doubt that the agents will ask any questions as presumably the landlord will notify them that their services are not required if he sells the property.

Have you asked the landlord if he has other properties in the area should the place be sold under you, so to speak?

I understand how worried you are about the prospect of possibly having to move again; unfortunately, these days there is no such thing as a secure long-term tenancy for new renters unless it is conveyed by a legally binding document.

Fingers crossed that if/when the property is sold, it is purchased by a buyer looking for an investment and it will make economic sense to renovate the downstairs flat while receiving rental income from you.

In the meantime, are you on any local authority housing waiting list?

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Wed 20-Jul-11 20:44:41

The landlord is under no obigation to sell the property with nojustification as sitting tenants Once, and were he to do so it would considerably reduce the asking price.

If the landlord is selling privately he's also under no obligation to notify the letting agents of his intentions, although it does seem unfair that nojustification was not told that the landlord was hoping to sell until after they had moved in.

I very much doubt that the landlord is obliged under any clause in the tenancy agreement to use the letting agents and/or an associated company to sell his property, or that he is trying to renege on any agreement in relation to fees.

Elemis Wed 20-Jul-11 20:48:12

The landlord thinks he has found a buyer himself and just doesn't want to pay the agency the fee. That's all. Nothing to do with you really, you can't get into trouble for it. And landlord doesnt have to go through the agency to talk to you, you can have your own relationship with him.

nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 21:14:17

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Wed 20-Jul-11 22:09:13

If you go back to the same letting agents presumably they will know that your deposit for your current flat will be returned and maybe they'll wait or get your agreement for it to be refunded direct to them.

Do let your landlord know how relieved you were to move into his flat after your previous experiences, how much you enjoy living there, and how upset you are at the prospect of moving so soon, and ask if he has or knows of other properties in the area that would be suitable for you.

Try not to panic as it's a buyer's market at the moment and it could be some time before the property sells during which time the landlord may change his mind, or it could be that an investment buyer snaps it up and you'll be able to stay.

Are you on a local authority housing list?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now