Talk

Advanced search

is it ok to give ds teacher a home made card.

(63 Posts)
AuntiePickleBottom Wed 20-Jul-11 18:51:20

me and ds aged 5 have just spent the best part of an hour making a card to say thank-you to his teacher.

but should i have bought one instead.

CMOTdibbler Wed 20-Jul-11 18:53:01

His teacher will treasure a home made card greatly - I know the ones my mum kept were only ever ones the children made

Pandemoniaa Wed 20-Jul-11 18:53:28

Er, no. I should think his teacher will treasure the home-made card that's had such care and thought put into it.

MissPenteuth Wed 20-Jul-11 18:53:43

Only a very mean-spirited teacher that would turn their nose up at a homemade card. I think it sounds lovely smile

HumphreyCobbler Wed 20-Jul-11 18:53:59

I love a home made card, it makes my day

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Wed 20-Jul-11 18:54:00

Of course homemade is better, no child buys a card wink

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 20-Jul-11 18:54:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Beamur Wed 20-Jul-11 18:55:32

I tried to get DD to make a card - she painted a weird picture of a lion in a cage (apparently) so I used a notelet instead!
I did manage to get her to write her name on a label for the present though and the teacher was kind enough to like the present too which is a bonus.

handsomeharry Wed 20-Jul-11 18:55:46

I think the teacher will love it.

AuntiePickleBottom Wed 20-Jul-11 18:57:41

thank-you smile i made a comment in work that tonight me and ds was making a card and a few people said i was being tight.......yes because all the arts and craft thing i buy for ds are free.

redskyatnight Wed 20-Jul-11 18:58:01

DD (5) has just spent 10 minutes laboriously writing out "To Mis x, you are a vere naice teecher and do good storez" and then drawing a picture of her and Mrs X sitting in the rain (I have no idea why either). I am also hoping that Mrs X will indeed treasure it more that the rather more polished bought ones, or ones with apt little rhymes in.

BoattoHogwartsviaBolivia Wed 20-Jul-11 18:59:22

Another teacher here who loves homemade cards- they mean so much more.

CRS Wed 20-Jul-11 19:01:14

I got one today that said "der Mrs (I'm Miss, by the way) X yoy ar an exulunt teecher and I wil mis yoy". Yup. Excellent teaching, evidently. wink

2BoysTooLoud Wed 20-Jul-11 19:01:57

Home made cards here too. Done over few evenings as Tas too. Picture subject matter odd but that's just my son and don't think the teachers will mind!
I feel uncomfortable buying stuff. Ds only 6 so home made cards seem best bet to me.

NorfolkNChamberOfSecrets Wed 20-Jul-11 19:02:44

I love receiving homemade items and they are almost always kept rather than some shop bought which end up as shopping list cards!

WriterofDreams Wed 20-Jul-11 19:08:33

I don't like home made cards because I always cry when I get them and feel like a bit wet arse in front of the kids blush Nah I adore them really, I just get so embarrassed as I can't stop the tears. I always try to avoid opening them in front of the kids but of course they won't allow that and then, tears. Embarrassing.

issynoko Wed 20-Jul-11 19:10:49

DD has just started making one too. She said "All the others are shop bought, my one will be much better". And I agree. Although might supplement it with a bottle of wine.

squeakytoy Wed 20-Jul-11 19:12:21

I would think any teacher would appreciate something that has actually had some thought and effort go into it, rather than something just bought off the shelf. smile

JemimaMuddledUp Wed 20-Jul-11 19:13:54

I had a lovely homemade card this year, and the mum had popped the recipe for the chocolate brownies that I had drooled over admired at the summer fete inside. It was a lovely thought.

CointreauVersial Wed 20-Jul-11 19:16:16

I think it's really sad that home-made crafty things are regarded nowadays as "cheap". They require infinitely more thought and effort, plus the cost of materials, but we are so schooled by our consumer society that many people think if it wasn't bought in a shop ready-made that it is somehow inferior.

I'm sure your DS's teacher will be delighted.

FranticBanana Wed 20-Jul-11 19:17:04

Homemade, definitely. I've got over 20 years of them stashed away - they're the ones I keep (and shop bought ones with a handwritten message in).

Beamur Wed 20-Jul-11 19:19:02

(Our present was homemade)

BadTasteFlump Wed 20-Jul-11 19:22:03

Soooooo - my DCs have also made lovely home made cards (complete with spelling mistakes, but am resisting the temptation to stick my nose in and make corrections). Are the cards present enough, or do I go out and buy chocs/flowers or something to go with them too, which will have taken zero effort from the DCs, and will have clearly been bought by their mum....

Am thinking that the cards are probably enough and the teachers probably could do without all the chocolate and 'worlds best teacher' mugs, but don't want to appear a tight wad.

mumto2andnomore Wed 20-Jul-11 19:25:16

Home made cards are lovely and no need for anything else. I cried at one with a photo on the front of a child who has come on so much since he started school.

mummynoseynora Wed 20-Jul-11 19:28:11

I have made cards with DD for her preschool teachers (6 of them!) as she's leaving to start 'big' school... I coaxed out ideas of what to write for her - ie .... what does Mrs X do thats fun? What does she do that you like etc - have worded a message using her words (means nothing to me so I hope she wasn't making the stuff up grin) Then let her loose to write her name and do a picture on the front... which has invariably turned into front / back / inside cover / some glitter if space!

subject matter for the pictures has varied from 'a colourful snowstorm (different coloured scribbles) / a flower / a camel (one hump on front , 2 on back) ... all good fun - so far they are going down very well (handing them over as we see each member of staff for the last time)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now