Talk

Advanced search

aibu to say that batman is not actually a superhero?

(50 Posts)
spookshowangel Wed 20-Jul-11 18:42:15

because he doesn't have any super powers. seems obvious to me he is a vigilant style hero with cool gadgets.
seriously if having coll gadgets made you a super hero then bond would be one...am i wrong?

MissPenteuth Wed 20-Jul-11 18:44:28

YANBU. He's not a Superhero by the proper definition.

MissPenteuth Wed 20-Jul-11 18:45:21

Oh, and also?

NEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEERD.

<gives spookshow a wedgie and runs away>

wink

dexter73 Wed 20-Jul-11 18:46:04

Apparently he is!

BeerTricksPotter Wed 20-Jul-11 18:46:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SpecialFriedRice Wed 20-Jul-11 18:46:23

YANBU

He doesn't have any superhuman powers - Rules him out of the superhero stuff!

BelleEnd Wed 20-Jul-11 18:49:07

YAB completely unreasonable. Have you seens Michael Keaton in that film? <fans oneself>

Awomancalledhorse Wed 20-Jul-11 18:49:27

shock If I were still a geeky teenager it would be lightsabers at dawn for a comment like that!
He's the BEST superhero because he's not one (coming from a Marvel Fangirl, that hurt to type).

Batman is a scientist.

OrangeHat Wed 20-Jul-11 18:49:53

Oooh there's a very good point / question.

And looking at the Yahoo answer it's very convincing that Batman is, indeed, a super-hero.

Phew!

BeerTricksPotter Wed 20-Jul-11 18:51:58

BelleEnd Wed 20-Jul-11 18:53:23

And now I'm googling images of Michael Keaton in a Batsuit. It's going to be a productive evening <perves>

issynoko Wed 20-Jul-11 18:53:38

Batman is very upset. But with his history, it's not surprising.

spookshowangel Wed 20-Jul-11 18:54:06

thats just fan boy love explaining away the fact that he is a mere mortal. lets be fair he has millions of pounds to buy fantastic suits that make him harder to kill etc and gadgets that make him good in a fight but you have him and superman naked in a fight we all know batman is going down because he may have buffed up. but there is no super in him just science. they write bat man into those things and give him a fair chance because he is popular. so that also make s iron man not a super hero either.
god i do sound like a nerd dont i blush

dexter73 Wed 20-Jul-11 18:56:02

That would also mean Ironman wouldn't be a superhero either, wouldn't it?

BeerTricksPotter Wed 20-Jul-11 18:58:05

Oakmaiden Wed 20-Jul-11 18:58:58

Nah, he's just a bloke with cool toys.

BeerTricksPotter Wed 20-Jul-11 18:59:33

spookshowangel Wed 20-Jul-11 19:06:46

so this says i am wrong,Interestingly, the term "superhero" has been traced back to its first appearance in a 1942 story by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby, when it was used to describe the costumed character "the Guardian," who also had no "super-powers." The term "super" is a coinage of the 1920s, when iit came into vogue as a contraction of the word "superior" and should not be construed as always meaning something beyond the ability of ordinary humans; "super" does not have to be synomymous with "impossible." Note that in the link below, it is clearly stated that "characters need not have actual superhuman powers to be deemed superheroes." Batman is also served up there as an example of one of the world's best known "superheroes," and he is the prototype of scores of costumed heroes who have no superhuman powers. Clearly, Batman qualifies as a "superhero" and opinions to the contrary are exactly that, mere opinions, and may be ignored with a clear conscience.
but this is wrong since i just found the word originated from 1917 bahahaha

dexter73 Wed 20-Jul-11 19:07:02

Just googled and Iron Man is a superhero so it seems you can be a superhero if you are just a normal bloke wearing a fancy suit!

IvyAndGold Wed 20-Jul-11 19:08:00

YANBU, I have this argument with DP aaallllll the time! angry

Awomancalledhorse Wed 20-Jul-11 19:08:01

spookshowangel, Iron Man DID gain superpowers at some point, something to do with how his body reacts with the generator he puts into his chest. If I remember correctly he gained the ability to heal quicker.

<hangs geek head in shame>

Anyhoo, Batman is cooler than Ironman.
About this Superman vs Batman naked fight? <swoons>

catgirl1976 Wed 20-Jul-11 19:09:23

Of all the superheros - I would do batman first.

spookshowangel Wed 20-Jul-11 19:10:39

i did wonder about the arc reactor, i thought it only kept his heart beating/ kept the scrapnal out.

mycatsaysach Wed 20-Jul-11 19:10:53

yh me too catgirl - he has a cool cave that has to count for something

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now