Talk

Advanced search

To add this comment to school survey?

(16 Posts)
create Wed 20-Jul-11 15:26:24

I have been asked to complete a mulitple choice survey on the pastoral care given by my DCs junior school. I have given them a glowing report and top marks on the vast majority of questions. However, I am inclined to add the following under Other Comments:

"I find the attitude of the teaching staff and management to be excellent. However, you should be aware that the school office sometimes lets the school down. I have heard them speak to both parents and children with complete disrespect and the difference in the level of helpfulness, compared to the Infants' office is marked. It is afterall, where pople form their first impressions of the school."

It is absolutely true. I have generally been thrilled with the school, but having to deal with the office is thoroughly demoralising. When I went to sign my DC1 into the Infants, I got a lovely warm feeling from the school secretary, who remained helpful throughout my DC's time there. When I did the same at the Juniors I left wanting to send DS1 anywhere but there.

Even so, AIBU to say so? The boys are very happy in the school and I don't want to make trouble. Also, from some of the threads on here, I wonder if school offices are supposed to be unhelful?!

grovel Wed 20-Jul-11 15:27:37

The school should want to know this.

Sirzy Wed 20-Jul-11 15:28:42

I don't think you are being unreasonable, if anything i would say it may even help them if you add specific examples if you can.

Mumwithadragontattoo Wed 20-Jul-11 15:29:04

YANBU - you do need to let the head know about this.

valiumredhead Wed 20-Jul-11 15:30:49

YANBU our school office REALLY lets the school down, I mean it's really bad.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 20-Jul-11 15:41:29

Is the survey anonymous.

If it is I would say go for it.

Tchootnika Wed 20-Jul-11 15:44:06

YANBU at all.
It should be treated as useful information/constructive criticism.

Salmotrutta Wed 20-Jul-11 15:46:36

I think the school would want to know this.

Firawla Wed 20-Jul-11 15:49:56

yanbu sounds like a reasonable comment

create Wed 20-Jul-11 16:13:19

Thank you. It is anonymous, but as it's handwritten and I'll have to send it back with DS, if they want to know who wrote it, it wouldn't be difficult to find out.

insanityscatching Wed 20-Jul-11 16:20:50

YANBU school should want to know this. If it's any consolation our school office is just the same.

Tchootnika Wed 20-Jul-11 16:24:31

create - as long as it's presented fairly, I don't think you should worry.
What you say in your OP looks fair and moderate from here, not like something that could be contstrued as a rant, especially since what you're saying is, in fact, overall very positive about the school.

MackerelOfFact Wed 20-Jul-11 16:27:05

Is the survery going to be handled and processed by office staff? I would just be worried that they might 'lose' your form, thus negating your feedback in other areas.

YANBU to add the comment though, if true!

alowVera Wed 20-Jul-11 16:32:20

YANBU.

Tchootnika Wed 20-Jul-11 16:33:39

create - sealed envelope?

JWIM Wed 20-Jul-11 17:52:47

The office is the school's face for parents and visitors alike. The school needs to know - often organisations don't actually test/experience their public face and the survey response will alert staff to problems, or reinforce the need to tackle unacceptable behaviour.

Return survey in sealed envelope - that's what happens with our surveys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now