Talk

Advanced search

to want to strangle women who...

(168 Posts)
GenevieveHawkings Wed 20-Jul-11 13:45:17

...bring little toddlers to school assemblies and bring nothing along to amuse/distract them with?

I have just been to my DS's leavers assembly and had it ruined by two toddlers who variously cried/whinged/whined/yelled throughout. It's not the children's fault - it went on for well over 2 hours as they went through 50 + children so they were bound to get bored. The mothers of these children just kept them on their laps and tried to contain them as they wrigged and squirmed and got ever more impatient and upset - and demonstrated it very vocally!

One woman's partner did take their child out of the hall and into the corridor at one point but it bellowed so loudly for its mother out there he might just as well not have bothered.

I can understand that they didn't want to miss their own child being done by either not attending or taking a bored toddler outside to allow everyone else the chance to enjoy it but these women didn't even have the courtesy to leave after their own children had been done. They made sure they stayed until the bitter end and ruined it for everyone else!

Don't most sensible people take a few bits to keep a child amused if they know they are going somewhere where a child needs to be as quiet as possible and may become bored and/or a nuisance?

All these women seemed to do to keep their children quiet was to try and keep ramming food into their mouths and doing this seemed to anger and frustrate these children all the more!

Having said that, there was one little girl there who looked about 2 and she was as quiet as a mouse the whole time, she spent some of the time on her mum's lap and the rest in her buggy.

worraliberty Wed 20-Jul-11 13:48:41

Toddlers and babies are not allowed to my DS's plays/assemblies.

The school provides a creche for them

Numberfour Wed 20-Jul-11 13:48:44

YABU

pingu2209 Wed 20-Jul-11 13:49:55

But a very small child will only ever really be amused for 5 or 10 mins with 1 item anyway. So to cover a full 2 hours the mothers would have had to bring a play room full of stuff.

If your school hall is like mine, you only get given a chair to sit on so there is no real space for any little children to play.

I think you are being unreasonable. Extremely intollerent.

NoobyNoob Wed 20-Jul-11 13:49:55

Even so, a few toys won't do bugger all for two hours will it?

What are the parents supposed to do with the toddlers if no-one else can look after them?

HarrietJones Wed 20-Jul-11 13:51:33

2 hour assembly? I'd expect lots of infants to be bored in that time!

LemonDifficult Wed 20-Jul-11 13:54:35

2 hour assembly? I'd expect lots of parents to be bored by then.

YABU. It's a school, parents have children.

picturerail Wed 20-Jul-11 13:56:52

YABU and as pingu says really intolerant. Your attitude suggests children should be seen and not heard OP - it was a school leaver's assembly FFS!!

januaryjojo Wed 20-Jul-11 13:57:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PeopleCallMeTricky Wed 20-Jul-11 14:00:25

It was good of the woman's partner to take the child out, presumably being a man he bore no responsibility for bringing the child in the first place though? hmm

AuntieMonica Wed 20-Jul-11 14:00:35

YABU to blame the women

AuntieMonica Wed 20-Jul-11 14:01:22

quite, PeopleCallMeTricky

hmm

GenevieveHawkings Wed 20-Jul-11 14:05:40

Glad to hear it JanuaryJoJo - that's what any normal, reasonable, considerate person would do.

These women should at the very least have had the common courtesy to leave after their child had been done. That would have been the kindest and most considerate thing to do for everyone concerned - and most of all for their own bored, frustrated thoroughly fed up toddlers!

Greatdomestic Wed 20-Jul-11 14:09:15

2 hours is a long slog for a toddler.

I had similar experience at school assembly recently. The mum had no toys/snacks for the child, and just smiled and clapped along when the toddler got a bit over excited - which was for the total duration of the assembly. The mum seemed a bit surprised that all other parents round about didn't seem as captivated by her toddler as she was - but really was there to see DC doing their bit.

However, it was only for 1 hour, and ime that's what school assemblies are generally like.

LemonDifficult Wed 20-Jul-11 14:13:28

OP, do you think the parents 'women' who were there should not have gone if they couldn't find someone to look after the toddlers?

Can I ask how many children do you have?

Blu Wed 20-Jul-11 14:14:09

Suggest that the PTA run a creche for the longer school events - plays / leavers assembly etc?

COCKadoodledooo Wed 20-Jul-11 14:24:28

I'd guess that this is something you've never had to deal with personally (keeping small child amused whilst desperate not to miss older child's big moment), am I right?

The only way younger siblings will learn appropriate ways to behave in such situations is if they are included in them.

I have to say I personally find the shushing and sharp 'be quiet!'s that come from the parents (yes op, both male and female - discipline is not just the mother's department!) much more distracting than a bit of singing or chatting from a toddler.

octopusinabox Wed 20-Jul-11 14:36:41

YABU. It's just one of those things you have to put up with.

Our school doesn't even allow small children into the shows/special assemblies. You have to find alternative childcare if you want to go (no creche). Not everyone has this (including me) so you just end up missing everything. I'd rather put up with a few whiny toddlers than have people not able to attend.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 20-Jul-11 14:38:59

YABU. Sexist as well.

biddysmama Wed 20-Jul-11 14:41:29

i have a toddler(28 months) and a baby (10 months)... my dh works full time so cant take them outside, am i not allowed to go to my ds's award ceremonies?

FreudianSlipper Wed 20-Jul-11 14:43:30

i could not keep ds entertained for 30 minutes with all his toys/books etc even with his cars

yabu

mickeyjohn Wed 20-Jul-11 14:44:56

Crikey OP - hope you're never in my DCs school assemblies!! I bet you hate small kids on aeroplanes too......

ragged Wed 20-Jul-11 14:45:48

A TWO HOUR Leaver's assembly for Year 6 is definitely unreasonable. That's the real problem, imo.

GenevieveHawkings Thu 21-Jul-11 22:11:55

Ideally I think the school should have provided a creche for the assembly. Either that or the assembly should have been arranged so that the children of parents with toddlers should have been done within the first 15 minutes. That way the parents/toddlers could then have left pronto and allowed the rest of us to enjoy the proceedings in peace.

It was a shame for the leavers too, some of whom could barely hear what their headteacher/teachers were saying to them during their big moment in the spotlight such was the level of racket and din.

Al0uiseG Thu 21-Jul-11 22:13:57

Two hours! How awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now