Talk

Advanced search

to think my neighbour is trying to poison my cat?

(101 Posts)
zelda1982 Wed 20-Jul-11 12:44:13

We have lived here 10 years, my neighbour was already here. He lives alone (in his mid 50's i think) Now up until this year i've never noticed him having a problem with my cat who goes in his garden (which is basically overgrown grass and a few weedy trees at the bottom). A few weeks ago i caught him squirting my cat with a water pistol...this i'm totally not bothered about. But the past few weeks he has been putting a bowl of water on his steps, but surely if he wants to discourage the cat coming in he shouldn't do this? I dont think its for the birds (its just a pyrex mixing bowl) as if it was it'd be better off in the middle of the garden.
Let me state that my cat does not use his garden as a toilet as she does this in our garden <boak>

fanjobanjowanjo Wed 20-Jul-11 12:45:22

It's a bit paranoid of you. Why don't you ask him what it's all about?

cheesesarnie Wed 20-Jul-11 12:46:37

why would you assume hes trying to poison your cat?

zelda1982 Wed 20-Jul-11 12:48:07

I dunno, its just a weird thing to do, coupled with the fact he's started squirting my cat all of a sudden. Its probably not and some totally rational explanation, but i cant think of one.

Pootles2010 Wed 20-Jul-11 12:48:15

Maybe it's for another pet?

hiddenhome Wed 20-Jul-11 12:48:24

Perhaps he has repented of his cat squirting ways and has decided to try and accept your kitty by offering water? hmm

I'd be tempted to ask tbh because if he's put antifreeze in it, that is poisonous to cats and will undoubtedly kill it sad Just ask whether the bowl of water is for your cat and, if so, why.

zelda1982 Wed 20-Jul-11 12:49:50

He doesn't have pets. Pootles thats what i was scared of (antifreeze) We dont really speak to him so it would be weird to ask him what the waters for hmm

spookshowangel Wed 20-Jul-11 12:53:30

how do you know your cat does not poo in his garden, it is in my experience that cats pretty much will do that any where they want. but either way a lot of people will assume that if a cat is in you garden that is what it is doing, so if he is having a cat poo problem your cat maybe getting the blame.
or perhaps he now wishes to tempt your cat away from you with bowls of water and love lol

wouldn't it be more sensible for him to poison meat ?

Pootles2010 Wed 20-Jul-11 12:56:12

What? I meant maybe he's got a new pet? Perhaps your cat is terrorizing his, hence the sudden wish to discourage yours.

hiddenhome Wed 20-Jul-11 12:57:22

Perhaps he's too mean to buy meat and is just chancing his arm with the water hmm

I'd be totally skeptical tbh.

Can you take a sample of the water when he goes out? Don't drink it, but just try to identify if it's got anything in it?

fanjobanjowanjo Wed 20-Jul-11 12:57:53

He doesn't have pets. Pootles thats what i was scared of (antifreeze) We dont really speak to him so it would be weird to ask him what the waters for

Gives you a starting place? Perhaps ask if your cat is bothering him, and express that you don't mind him spraying it with water?

zelda1982 Wed 20-Jul-11 12:58:20

sorry pootles i got mixed up i meant hiddenhome. (re the antifreeze)

hiddenhome Wed 20-Jul-11 12:58:29

If anyone tried to feed/water my kitty I'd be livid because I'm responsible for her health and feeding/watering and I wouldn't want anybody interfering with that process.

hiddenhome Wed 20-Jul-11 12:59:56

Just nick the water and test it. People have no heart when it comes to cats and a person doesn't just go from squirting to feeding/watering. He's up to something.

get that water he must leave the house from time to time. Keep your kitty in in the meantime.

MrSpoc Wed 20-Jul-11 13:01:11

Anti-freeze is addictive to cats but does kill them (very effective and very painfully).

It does sound odd. Why not wait till he is out and see if it is just water or anti-freeze. If it is ring RSPCA ASAP and they will proscicute him.

hiddenhome Wed 20-Jul-11 13:02:51

Please keep your kitty in until you find out.

I didn't know that cats like antifreeze sad

LandLadyLuck Wed 20-Jul-11 13:03:18

hedgehog water?

ShoutyHamster Wed 20-Jul-11 13:03:28

Sounds a bit paranoid... but it's easy to find out. Yes, get a sample of the water.

If it is anything dodgy... you have the choice to take it further or let him know that you have photographs of the bowl out, a sample of the water, and that if anything happens to your cat, you will bust his ass

AurraSing Wed 20-Jul-11 13:03:37

If he was trying to poison your cat, wouldn't he be a bit more secretive about it? Unless he wants you to think he's poisoning your cat.

AurraSing Wed 20-Jul-11 13:04:30

If you do get a sample of the water, how will you test it?

BadTasteFlump Wed 20-Jul-11 13:05:24

Am just wondering how you are supposed to get into somebody else's garden (as suggested here) when they're out. Surely people have fences/gates/hedges?

Agree it's a bit worrying though. Unless he's trying to encourage hedgehogs or something?

BTW I spray neighbours cat with the hose when I see it because it tries to shamelessly poo right in front of me. But I wouldn't do anything horrible to it.

MrSpoc Wed 20-Jul-11 13:06:45

Can you not climb BadTasteFlump?

hiddenhome Wed 20-Jul-11 13:07:27

You get into their garden by using any means necessary if you think that somebody is trying to hurt an animal. Is there a gate or something?

Does he look like the type of person who'd give water to hedgehogs?

hiddenhome Wed 20-Jul-11 13:09:29

The local vet would send the water to the lab for testing if you didn't want to sniff/taste it yourself. Does antifreeze have a smell? It tastes slightly sweet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now