Talk

Advanced search

To be beyond fuming with dd? Anyone with small rodent pets please help :(

(40 Posts)
nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 07:11:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

belindarose Wed 20-Jul-11 07:14:06

Oh dear. Not sure I can help. Only ever had big ones escape who eventually return for food and attention. Poor little thing. And on a school day!

lovesicecream Wed 20-Jul-11 07:21:08

Bloody things! Keep all the doors shut now so it can't get out where ever it is, if it's tame it will prob come out on it's own when it's quiet! If you can put food in a bowl in each of the rooms you think it might be in this might give you an idea of where it is ( it some point it will cone out and eat) other thing is to just go from room to room checking every where, if you have the time that is! Remember they can climb pretty well so it might not be on floor level! We knew where ours was pritty quickly as it chewed the bedroom curtains!

purplepidjincantatem Wed 20-Jul-11 07:21:43

One of those humane, no-kill traps?

misty0 Wed 20-Jul-11 07:22:11

Hi

Put the cage on the floor with the other rat/s in it near her room so the lost one will see/hear/smell the cage, and be encouraged to stay nearby.

Get some of the food or treats and water and put it near the cage.

Keep an eye out and catch the little so and so. grin If you dont want to grab it get a bowl or laundry basket to lower down over it.

Maybe have a bowl or tank or spare cage it could climb into for the food?

Good luck

nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 07:25:59

MonaLotte Wed 20-Jul-11 07:28:18

Our hamster escaped and was found inside the back of the sofa, maybe try there?

nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 07:31:00

musicposy Wed 20-Jul-11 07:35:00

I expect she will have learnt a valuable lesson for the future even without you being cross at her. wink

I know you're angry - I'd be fuming too - but done's done now, as my mum always says. Concentrate on getting the rat back. Our hamster once escaped when we were on holiday and lived in a corner of the room if it's any help - the little bugger chewed the carpet to nothing.

Have a brew and when you are calm and the rat is back have a long chat to your DD about how rules are there for a good reason, not just to make her life annoying - and you expect them followed. Hope you get it back. I'd agree humane traps might be worth investing in if no luck today.

MittzyTheVixen Wed 20-Jul-11 07:48:13

DD did this with her hamster, and we located it by switching everything off and sitting quietly until we heard it scrabbling about..

I was just as cross as you though especially as the searching was hindered by her crying confused

nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 08:03:45

pinkhebe Wed 20-Jul-11 08:11:55

can you catch them like you do hamsters? With a bucket tilted with some food in it so the rat can get in but not out again (or are rats too clever for this trick?)

MumblingRagDoll Wed 20-Jul-11 08:13:11

Listen near the sofa and anywhere that there is soft furnishings...

rubyrubyruby Wed 20-Jul-11 08:15:46

ragged Wed 20-Jul-11 08:17:14

If they are hand-reared they should be very tame, may even come when called? They like people as a rule & will come out eventually. Keep all outside doors shut.
I have had rats disappear for a day or two and then turn up again, too bad it had to happen so soon. One of ours was stuck in a kitchen drawer for 36 hrs. Another one turned up in neighbour's garden (luckily he reached for a bucket rather than a shovel)

DC badly injured 2 of our pet rats, sorry to say. You'd think 8-9yo was old enough to have more sense, but sadly not.

Callisto Wed 20-Jul-11 08:17:52

We have lost our hamster a couple of times. We have a humane mouse trap and have caught him in that each time. You can get them from Countrywide or other agricultural type stores. It may be worthwhile getting advice online from rodent fora - there are loads.

Don't be too cross with your DD - it is soooo exciting to have new animals and extremely difficult not to touch them.

mymumdom Wed 20-Jul-11 08:18:57

We have big boy rats but they were once little boy rats and they can squeeze anywhere.
Try this
www.wikihow.com/Catch-a-Runaway-Hamster
Putting food in each room is a good idea so you can concentrate on the room you know he's in.
I'm assuming you don't have a cat.
And don't be too hard on your DD. Mine is 9 and pretty sensible, but there is no way I'd have trusted her with her rats in her room overnight!

Roo83 Wed 20-Jul-11 08:21:09

Your poor dd...I know it's her fault but I can't help feeling sorry for her. She was clearly so excited to have them she just couldn't wait! Don't be too cross with her, I bet she feels awful about it. When we were younger we had gerbils and one escaped the day we'd collected them. We had a small cage we used when cleaning them out so left that one open with food inside, and the normal cage, with other gerbil next to it. He was back by the next day so fc for your rat to.

LineRunner Wed 20-Jul-11 08:24:28

Agree with Callisto. The rat will search for food at some point and a humane trap would catch it. I've seen them in B&Q as well.

She's only 9...

nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 08:26:18

nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 08:46:52

mymumdom Wed 20-Jul-11 08:50:19

Oh fantastic! I bet your DD has learned her lesson too. I love baby rats, they are so cute but amazingly athletic!
Q

knobbysEx Wed 20-Jul-11 08:50:39

oh thank goodness.....I was old a trick for if it happens again is to put food and water in bowls then draw a circle wih flour around it, you can follow footprints to wherethey hiding. Allegedly! grin)

valiumredhead Wed 20-Jul-11 08:51:27

Oh well done! What a relief!

I'd be hopping mad with ds if he did this - deliberate naughtiness especially at 5.30 am shock

I would do the same as you and have them in my room too (actually they'd be going back to the pet shop I think but I am pretty hard core!)

Thank goodness you found her!

AmazingBouncingFerret Wed 20-Jul-11 08:54:58

Anyone else singing "there's a rat in me kitchen what am I gonna do?"

No? Just me then?

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now