Talk

Advanced search

To get free shopping for a month by taking back all my food packaging for a refund?

(32 Posts)
DarlingDuck Tue 19-Jul-11 20:20:11

Our food bill has sky rocketed!!! I was just looking on the back of our sainsburys food items and noticed you can return the product (packaging and proof of purchase I assume) for a full refund if you're not satisfied.

Would I be unreasonable to take back as much as I can of my weekly shop in order to save money? grin

thisisyesterday Tue 19-Jul-11 20:21:44

haha you should so do that.
they may say that you need to return half the product too, because if you werne't satisfied you wouldn' thave eaten it all... but you'd still be quids in grin

SomethingProfound Tue 19-Jul-11 20:22:19

I think you should do it and report back to us! grin

AgentZigzag Tue 19-Jul-11 20:22:24

hehe I like your thinking -

'Mmmmm that lasagne was disgusting, as was the chocolate gateau we had yesterday...'

It could catch on grin

thisisyesterday Tue 19-Jul-11 20:22:57

let's ALL do it

FriggFRIGG Tue 19-Jul-11 20:23:06

im pretty sure you have to take it back with the food inside it ....

but you can try

ZillionChocolate Tue 19-Jul-11 20:23:33

I don't think you can return products once you've eaten them.

SpeedyGonzalez Tue 19-Jul-11 20:23:35

Marking my place.

Do it, do it, do it!

FriggFRIGG Tue 19-Jul-11 20:24:03

let me know if it works

DarlingDuck Tue 19-Jul-11 20:24:52

I did do it a year or so ago... We bought a chinese meal and it was horrible, we threw the food away and ordered a take away. The Sainsburys meal cost £15 and we were buggered if we were paying twice so took the packaging in and they refunded us, I haven't dared do it since though!

TheMonster Tue 19-Jul-11 20:26:50

I like the idea! Would it work with empty wine bottles?

MoonGirl1981 Tue 19-Jul-11 20:28:42

What about loo rolls? Can you take back the cardboard tube?

Cat litter? That might work, you can pour it back into the bag.......!

D0G Tue 19-Jul-11 20:33:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kaid100 Tue 19-Jul-11 20:44:29

I imagine if you took an entire week's shop back and said "this was all bad" they might see through your plan. Notice that the guarantee is for if you "are not satisfied", not if you "say you are not satisfied".

DarlingDuck Tue 19-Jul-11 20:47:14

I might try it witha few items initially, say a bottle of champagne and fillet steak. I will say I am not satisfied as I feel it didn't taste as extraordinary as it should for the price wink

AgentZigzag Tue 19-Jul-11 20:47:32

You're overthinking it kaid, the OP's just messing.

OneHundredPercentFucked Tue 19-Jul-11 23:19:02

Do it!

beanandspud Tue 19-Jul-11 23:27:00

When I had a Saturday job in a supermarket I remember a lady bringing back a (nearly empty) bottle of whisky that she had drunk the night before. She claimed there was something wrong as it had given her a headache.

And a lady who brought back toilet roll claiming that it didn't have the required number of sheets on a roll.

And the lady who brought in a £200 bill for a local restaurant claiming that an "unsatisfactory" joint of meat had spoiled a family get together and she had been forced to take everyone out for Sunday lunch instead.

People will try anything.

clappyhands Tue 19-Jul-11 23:31:57

in my oh so distant past, we used to beg customers who brought in mouldy goods to just bin them the next time and bring us in the label

in all my years i don;t think this was ever abused

do it do it do it do it smile

SpeedyGonzalez Wed 20-Jul-11 21:11:23

clappy, I once returned some cod to Tesco because it had worms in it. shock

Unsurprisingly the member of staff whom I spoke to declined to inspect the fish. grin

StoopidBint Wed 20-Jul-11 21:28:28

i think cod often has worms in it but they're harmless. That has always put me off cod.

StoopidBint Wed 20-Jul-11 21:32:34

Cod worms are a round worm that live in the fish as part of its life cycle. The roundworm is harmless to humans and lives in the stomach of the common or grey seal, and fertilised roundworm eggs pass into the sea with the seals excreta. The eggs hatch to give a microscopic worm which must be swallowed by a small fish or shrimp like animal. The white fish, such as cod or haddock, then become contaminated by eating the small fish. The worm burrows through the stomach wall of the fish, into the liver and flesh. The life cycle is completed when a seal eats the fish.

There is no evidence that anyone has ever had an illness associated with the cod worm. The worms are killed by cooking and freezing. Occasionally, in fresh fish a worm may be discovered alive, however, although they are alarming to see, they are harmless if consumed.

Yummy! hmm

StoopidBint Wed 20-Jul-11 21:33:30

Forgot to say - the above was copied and pasted.

pointydog Wed 20-Jul-11 21:40:45

Yes! A friend with a fisherman dad once told me all about worms in cod.

lurcherlover Wed 20-Jul-11 21:41:17

OP:do it! Let us know how you get on...

On an unrelated note, this has made me remember an incident when I worked in a well-known department store as a student. A woman came in wanting to return some knickers she'd bought. Her reason was that they were "stained". She was most put out when I pointed out that that was because she'd worn them...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: