Talk

Advanced search

to expect my son to like sandwiches?

(36 Posts)
mtw Tue 19-Jul-11 18:54:04

I mean - it's a staple easy lunch right? He will not eat bread or toast, with anything - cheese, jam, ham etcetc...............WHY??? I know I could make him something else but with 2 other kids ( he is the oldest - 8 ) he is being a pain and don't want to start making a different lunch for them all....

MoonGirl1981 Tue 19-Jul-11 18:58:33

I really dislike sandwiches too. I find bread odd.

Genuinely not liking something is not being a pain. It's not liking something!!

scurryfunge Tue 19-Jul-11 18:59:55

Will he eat crackers or ryvita instead?

DD won't eat butties either, I just do a huge pasta salad and she has that over a few days.

Will he have toasties ?

Popbiscuit Tue 19-Jul-11 19:02:33

Have you tried doing wraps? Or perhaps a "deconstructed" sandwich (cubes of chicken/ham, cubes of cheese, crackers, crudite etc.) ?

pigletmania Tue 19-Jul-11 19:03:13

My dh does not do sandwiches and he's 35! Does he like crumpets, or crackers. Scour the supermarket and see what he might like instead.

Poweredbypepsi Tue 19-Jul-11 19:04:03

dd3 takes out the filling and leaves the bread.

FabbyChic Tue 19-Jul-11 19:04:45

My son is 18, he has never eaten a sandwich and never will. The only bread he will eat is toast or cheese on toast. He hasn't had bread for about 3 months.

OpinionatedPlusSprogs Tue 19-Jul-11 19:06:52

YABU as long as he is eating a balanced diet.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 19-Jul-11 19:07:58

YABU. My DD doesn't like sandwiches - hates butter, doesn't like fillings squishing into bread (which she does like, fortunately) - so instead of sarnie in packed lunch, just chuck a roll, a cheese string and a peperami into a bag.

Not liking bread must be a bit of a PITA (ho ho) - will he eat crunchier carbs like breadsticks maybe?

AuntiePickleBottom Tue 19-Jul-11 19:12:47

how about pita bread or athor types of bread, ds don't really like sandwiches so his 'sandwich' is normally a wrap or pitta bread

mtw Tue 19-Jul-11 19:13:51

he likes toasties, but when we all are having butties, come on - just be easier, maybe i am being a bit harsh. he is very fussy generally and we always have issues going on with food,

MonaLotte Tue 19-Jul-11 19:13:57

How about bagels? They have a different texture to bread.

redfoxy Tue 19-Jul-11 19:15:15

my dd is the same, packed lunches are a bit of a challenge, fortunately she does love pitta bread and hummous, so i chuck in a pitta and a small pot of hummous, and always a boiled egg too, however anti-social it is! I had tried to put sandwiches in and thought perhaps she just might eat one, but she just tore it all apart licked off the hummous and ate the cucumer, left the bread.

FabbyChic Tue 19-Jul-11 19:17:02

If he doesn't like it why make him eat it? I have never given my children things they don't like what is the point? They would go hungry and me as a parent, I'm here to make sure he eats what he likes.

TheMonster Tue 19-Jul-11 19:17:52

My DS will eat bread but not sandwiches. Makes packed lunches a right pain.

ClaimedByMe Tue 19-Jul-11 19:21:15

My dd 8 doesnt like sandwiches much either, crackers and cheese or wraps are a hit!

nojustificationneeded Tue 19-Jul-11 19:22:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sirzy Tue 19-Jul-11 19:24:21

I hate sandwiches on bread but will eat them on barmcakes (if they are just right - I am very particular!)

LovelyDaffs Tue 19-Jul-11 19:25:53

I love bread, like most fillings, but lithe sandwiches. It's a pain tbh.

pointydog Tue 19-Jul-11 19:26:06

dd1 was never a great sandwich fan. I tended to give her crackers (often ritz) and sticks of cheese etc. She still will not have a sandwich with any butter on it.

thetimestheyareachanging Tue 19-Jul-11 19:28:41

DD1 is 5 and she has never eaten a sandwich. She eats toast and occasionally a dry slice of bread but has never had a sandwich.

Packed lunch in school this Sept is going to be interesting.

JamieAgain Tue 19-Jul-11 19:30:43

I got my fussy DS to eat sarnies by cutting them into really small pieces 1 inch square, then when that was well established, making them bigger.

TorianaTollywobbles Tue 19-Jul-11 19:31:13

Thought my dd was the only one who wouldn't eat sandwiches!

She will happily eat crusty bread and butter, toast, cobs, crackers, breadsticks, bagels but not sandwiches.

She always struggles at parties cos its usually sandwiches on offer.

JamieAgain Tue 19-Jul-11 19:31:15

Did that with pizza too - 1cm squares

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now