Talk

Advanced search

do children ned a hot meal every night.

(45 Posts)
AuntiePickleBottom Tue 19-Jul-11 18:14:25

i really can't take another take away, the kitchen is in the middle of being done and is unsutiable to cook in

so i am thinking, chicken salad sandwich, banana, yogurt, crisps and a fruit juice and maybe a little ice cream for desset.

usualsuspect Tue 19-Jul-11 18:15:27

Sounds ok to me

allhailtheaubergine Tue 19-Jul-11 18:15:40

Absolutely fine.

chickydoo Tue 19-Jul-11 18:15:43

Sounds yummy!!!
Enjoy

WhereIsMyFreeGoat Tue 19-Jul-11 18:17:42

Can't see a problem with that at all.
DD1 would live on "cold tea" as she calls it cold meats,cheese,salad,pickles pate and bread.

AuntiePickleBottom Tue 19-Jul-11 18:19:15

thank-you...i have never even thought of it before.

perhaps instead of using a table i will get a blanket and have it out in the garden smile

VegetablePatch Tue 19-Jul-11 18:26:49

No problem, and the picnic idea sounds fab!

It's summer after all, even if it's raining outside, salady/sandwichy things make a nice summertime dinner, we have it a few times a week.

Popbiscuit Tue 19-Jul-11 18:32:57

That sounds lovely. Can i come over? Kids love that sort of thing. I have lovely childhood memories of having a cold supper on a picnic blanket on the floor and listening to Storyteller tapes with my brother. Might do this for DCs tonight actually; it's almost 40 degrees here today!

PamBeesly Tue 19-Jul-11 18:33:12

Of course, especially in summer salad or sandwiches are perfect

manicinsomniac Tue 19-Jul-11 18:34:10

I think the temperature of food is irrelevant, only the nutritional content matters. Your tea sounds great.

squeakytoy Tue 19-Jul-11 18:35:42

We quite often didnt have "cooked" dinners as I grew up, and dont now.. plenty of nights we have salad with loads of fresh bread.

I also had to improvise for quite a while when we had no cooker or oven, and it is amazing what you can do with a sandwich toaster or a george foreman too..... burgers, chicken fillets, salmon fillets..

ApocalypseCheeseToastie Tue 19-Jul-11 18:36:06

Supermarket roast chickens, bag of salad and crusty bread chucked out of bags and onto plates in this house tonight !

Ephiny Tue 19-Jul-11 18:39:54

It sounds fine to me, no need for hot food every day, especially in the summer (not that it's very summery here right now, but you know what I mean!)

wigglesrock Tue 19-Jul-11 18:48:03

My 6 year old loves a cold dinner, she calls it a school lunch dinner.

Flisspaps Tue 19-Jul-11 18:48:23

Can I come to your house please?

OpinionatedPlusSprogs Tue 19-Jul-11 19:05:33

yum

AGlassHalfEmptyNoLonger Tue 19-Jul-11 19:06:10

DS loves a picnic on a plate - sandwich or bread n butter or toastie, a combination of a couple of slices of cheese, a couple of slices of meat, boiled eggs, crisps, yoghurt, cake, fruit, raisins, anything else I have/can find. All on a plate, sitting on the floor, often with the tv on.

FabbyChic Tue 19-Jul-11 19:07:08

Dont you have a microwave? You can microwave pasta, you can buy pre cooked chicken, you can mix the chicken with a sauce.

SmethwickBelle Tue 19-Jul-11 19:07:33

Tea at my granny's was always potted meat sandwiches, tomatoes, and tea. Battenburg / raspberry ripple ice cream for pudding if you're lucky.

TattyDevine Tue 19-Jul-11 19:07:36

Like Apocalypse I love the supermarket chook.

I think balanced is more important than hot.

So, protein, carb, veg, healthy fats (though not necesarily in every meal)

AuntiePickleBottom Tue 19-Jul-11 19:09:51

i have a microwave but sick of microwave meal aswell, it's been 3 weeks without a kitchen..all i have is a kitchen sink.

basingstoke Tue 19-Jul-11 19:11:15

Why would microwaved pasta be better than a chicken salad sandwich?

TheSecondComing Tue 19-Jul-11 19:13:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Spuddybean Tue 19-Jul-11 19:19:16

Sounds good to me. I often used to pick up the kids i looked after in the summer with a picnic tea and take them to the park for dinner.

Incidentally to those who have the supermarket roast chicken - do they have their origin (ie whether they are red tractor/free range etc)? at that price i worry they will be horribly treated battery chickens, but they do look and smell lovely.

pointydog Tue 19-Jul-11 19:20:13

No, no one needs a hot meal every day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: