Talk

Advanced search

to doubt Motherdcare's advice on 3 car seats - you lot have 3 seats?

(30 Posts)
33kns Tue 19-Jul-11 17:22:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrSpoc Tue 19-Jul-11 17:32:44

Not sure. I have two car seats and one booster seat in the middle. Its legal and safe. I 3rd car seat would not fit in the middles, hence the booster seat.
If it fits and it does not become unclipped then ignore them.

luciadilammermoor Tue 19-Jul-11 17:35:22

Suppose it depends on your car really but I think she may be talking bolleaux.

I have a galaxy, and three car seats: Mamas and papas stage 2 one looks a bit like this and two Britax kidfix these ones

I don't need to use extensions and the car seats don't rub or overlap each other. There is still space to access the seatbelt slots.

Safety/law states under 11s/or under 130cm (could be 135cm) must have a booster at least.

Britax have a car fit search tool here fit finder

HTH

BabyDubsEverywhere Tue 19-Jul-11 17:37:30

They are talking crap....but thats mothercare all over really. We have three seats in the back, 2 high back boosters and a baby seat for when we have Dnephew. We stop with the police quite often and no one has ever said anything (not dodgy, DH is a mechanic and is a bit of a good samaritan, so always stops if sees a car in need!)

33kns Tue 19-Jul-11 17:42:38

Lougle Tue 19-Jul-11 17:51:04

We used 3xBritax Prince car seats 9-18kg (they can fix using 3-point or just lapbelt) in a row across a Ford Mondeo.

lazylula Tue 19-Jul-11 17:57:21

I have a mondeo and we have 2 graco booster seats and a graco base with infant seat in the back. I will say access to the plugs is a little hard, may look into the seat belt extensions you mentioned. I know one of the exceptions on the 3 years plus car seat laws is if 2 car seats are already in use and a third can not be fitted then a child over 3 may travel with out.

33kns Tue 19-Jul-11 18:06:28

BagofHolly Tue 19-Jul-11 18:20:42

I think Mothercare might be right, as you can't have anything touching the buckles or you get buckle crunch.

BagofHolly Tue 19-Jul-11 18:24:20

Btw we have 3 rearfacing seats across the back of a xara and it was one if the few cars with 3 full isofix seats on the market. The Galaxy was another.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 19-Jul-11 18:26:14

I had a baby seat, a 5 point harness seat and a high backed booster when I first got my current car. I now have 3 high backed boosters held in place with 3 proper seat belts. HTH.

33kns Tue 19-Jul-11 18:43:59

TheOriginalFAB Tue 19-Jul-11 18:53:53

It is a grand renault scenic and 3 proper seat belts.

33kns Tue 19-Jul-11 18:54:51

Northernlurker Tue 19-Jul-11 18:58:08

Three seats can be tricky but is doable. You must have the seat away from the buckle though. We had a Britax seat - baby one then isofix and two boosters at first. We changed one of our Graco boosters for a britax one (had two Graco at first) and then everything worked ok.

thisisyesterday Tue 19-Jul-11 19:00:12

she is talking out of her arse.

we have 3 across the back of our volvo v70 which, incidentally, does not have 3 "proper" seats

it has been checked out by the guys at the in-car safety centre in Milton Keynes who I can almost guarantee know a LOT more about car safety than this woman in Mothercare.

She cannot possibly say that the seat will rest on and unclip other seatbelts without seeing them in-situ

thisisyesterday Tue 19-Jul-11 19:03:10

btw, buckle crunch does not just mean that a seat is touching the buckle.
it is ok for the seat to touch a buckle...
buckle crunch is slightly different, will try and find a link to some pics to explain

BagofHolly Tue 19-Jul-11 19:04:38

Incar safety at Milton Keynes are fantastic - we went there too.

thisisyesterday Tue 19-Jul-11 19:04:44

see here it's fine for the buckle to rest against the side of the seat, or for another seat to touch it. the problem is when it starts going into the routing "passage" or over the frame of the seat which will then cause stress on the buckle itself

33kns Tue 19-Jul-11 19:05:59

wonkylegs Tue 19-Jul-11 19:14:11

I would take any 'advice' from mothercare on any subject with a huge pinch of salt. My Childs safety - ha wouldn't believe a word they said. I don't know where they 'train' their staff but arses and elbows come to mind. hmm

lazylula Tue 19-Jul-11 19:15:21

Thank you 33kns, will take a look later. It will hopefully make things easier and quicker!

Fresh01 Tue 19-Jul-11 19:17:17

I have three across the back of a Landcruiser - not a wide back seat compared to size of car as I discovered.

Original combination was isofix base and Maxi-Cosi Cabriofix, Britax forward facing car seat and Maxi-Cosi Robi high back booster, it was the narrowest booster by about 2cm than a Britax one but that 2cm made all the difference.

Now I have 2 in Maxi-Cosi Robi high back boosters and one in a forward facing Britax car seat. I have the two booster seats plugging in next to each other so behind the passenger and in the middle. I have facecloths around the plugs so that they remain facing forward to remove some of the fiddle factor. The is no way one of the booster seats could accidently unplug one of the kids.

We have used the In-car safety centre several times when we have needed new car seat combinations so I am very comfortable that what we are using is safe and legal.

Maybe try Halfords they will try different seats in your car for you.

thisisyesterday Tue 19-Jul-11 19:18:29

33kns, i don;t know a HUGE amount about the multimac, but i believe it is a Scandinavian company? Making huge generalisations here of course, but they are v. big on in-car safety over there and that is maybe something in their favour?

plus, it bolts onto your car, that's got to be good as well from a safety point of view?

I don't think I'd have any qualms about using one myself.

where in the country are you? if you can get to Milton Keynes I really can't recommend them enough.
there is also an in-car safety place in Rayleigh in Essex. Afaik they don't sell seats, but they have plenty you can try in your car and they're very knowledgeable and can tell you if you can get 3 in there

foreverondiet Tue 19-Jul-11 19:36:09

I have a zafira and have 2 car seats (one rear facing) and a booster seat. Its not three separate seats and I am not worried about access to the seat belt buckles.

I found that halford's own booster is the narrowest available, don't bother looking in mothercare:

narrow booster

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now