Advanced search

To expect the council.......

(57 Posts)
cheekeymonkey Tue 19-Jul-11 15:34:18

AIBU to expect the council to help us with a problem that we have with one of their registered taxi drivers parking his taxi on our private driveway sometimes even blocking my exit from my own house?

Neighbour seems to think he can park on the end of our driveway even though we have shown him the deeds proving that it is our land.

Our solicitor had advised us that although he can send him a letter it is not recommended as we are trying to sell our house and it will show as a 'conflict with neighbours'.

DH called council today as they are the ones that license this ignorant twot and they said they can't do anything but mention it to him.


Andrewofgg Tue 19-Jul-11 15:36:57

He is not their employee. Even though they license him they are not responsible for him. YABU.

cheekeymonkey Tue 19-Jul-11 15:38:51

I did ask WWYD?

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Tue 19-Jul-11 15:39:02

Go and ask him to move his car every time he does it - cos you're going out (if he's blocked you in) drive round the block for ten minutes then come back. If he's blocked again, knock and tell him to shift his car cos he's blocked you.

He'll soon realise it's just not worth it.

Or park in front of his house or on the end of his driveway again?

Or just let it go and hope you sell soon.

I think if someone has blocked you IN your driveway, you can get them moved. contact traffic wardens for advice?

If you weren't hoping to move, I'd suggest putting gates and a wall up!

DogsBestFriend Tue 19-Jul-11 15:39:09

You might like to paint your house before you sell it.

And that might cause you to carry paint up your road and onto your drive.

You might trip whilst carrying that paint onto your drive.

The paint-can lid might come off and paint might splatter in all directions.

The paint might accidentally spash the taxi which is parked across your drive.

That taxi might not be found to be parked across your drive next morning. grin grin grin

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Tue 19-Jul-11 15:41:03

oh well, if we're being mean and childish (my two favourite things wink ) might I suggest phoning for a taxi every time you want him to shift?

withhold number. Book taxi for right away from <insert street>


TheMagnificentBathykolpian Tue 19-Jul-11 15:41:49

not your street btw. nearby street. grin

cheekeymonkey Tue 19-Jul-11 15:46:50

Believe it or not Magnificent we have tried everything we can think of.

Prospective house purchasers are actually commenting on how when we have parking space for 6 cars they cannot get onto our driveway!

We are selling because I cannot handle the constant hassle as I am disabled driver and find it extremely painful to manoeuver the car off and on the driveway without hitting anything as I have to reverse off between his taxi and the end of the driveway.

Thank you for the laugh though Dogs.

Is it legal to put up a clamping sign do you think (I could remove it when viewers come around?)

cheekeymonkey Tue 19-Jul-11 15:48:40

Ow magnificent, he is a council taxi (black cab), thats why I thought they would help

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Tue 19-Jul-11 15:55:51

I didn't say they wouldn't and I didn't even say you were being unreasonable. Why do you seem to have the hump?

I realise that it is hard to tell from type, but I am getting really huffy vibes from you.

I never said they wouldn't help! Why the explanation? And what's with the 'done everything we can think of' remark? Did I critisise you in any way? No.

eurochick Tue 19-Jul-11 15:56:58

I don't understand the council taxi thing. Does your council really operate a taxi co? Or do you mean he is self-employed/empoloyed by a taxi co and just licensed by the council.

Unless the coucil operates the taxi, it is unreasonable to expect them to do anything about it. It would not be unreasonable to expect the driver himself to move if you ask him to or speak to the company employing him.

nocake Tue 19-Jul-11 15:58:50

Call your local police station and ask one of the community policemen to have a word with him. It can be done without any records so won't affect your house sale.

Or stick a couple of large plant pots in the driveway.

cheekeymonkey Tue 19-Jul-11 16:03:10

No magnificent you have taken it the wrong way! I meant to type 'oh' instead of 'ow'.

No your ideas were the ones we have tried, the bit about it being a council taxi was meant that if we call for a taxi it would be one of the ones in service that would be sent and not him and he is not private he hasn't got a private number on his taxi IYSWIM?

No I haven't got the hump and really am trying to get some advice as ringing the council was on advise and it hasn't worked.

Unfortunately I work and have a child I have to run to Nursery and this really does inconvience me a lot.

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Tue 19-Jul-11 16:04:24

magnificent - i don't think she was being huffy at you per se, just in general at the situation - think she meant that she's tried everything you've said too.

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Tue 19-Jul-11 16:04:46

x-posts! grin

cheekeymonkey Tue 19-Jul-11 16:09:09

The private taxi companies here have white cars and the council controlled ones have black cabs, that's why I thought they would help.

They actually give the number and address to complain to if you have a problem with one of their drivers but I guess that doesn't include being a jerk?

Nocake that is a really good idea about the community police, can't use the plant pots as it would block our driveway also and I struggle with picking things up.

Does anyone know the answer to the 'clamping' sign?

cheekeymonkey Tue 19-Jul-11 16:10:51

Thank you Nearly, I must be sounding really exasperated?

Probably because I am!

Has been going on 2 years.

EricNorthmansMistressOfPotions Tue 19-Jul-11 16:17:58


(Oops sorry caps lock)

cheekeymonkey Tue 19-Jul-11 16:19:55


No, seriously thank you for answering that one, I was considering

cheekeymonkey Tue 19-Jul-11 16:21:22

If you are a mistress of potions surely you can make me a potion that will make him considerate?

NoMoreWasabi Tue 19-Jul-11 16:24:18

Have you tried blocking the drive with something like this:

(from a 10 second google)

EricNorthmansMistressOfPotions Tue 19-Jul-11 16:25:37

I'm not very good. Snape has to punish me lots grin

cheekeymonkey Tue 19-Jul-11 16:28:42

Interesting Wasabi smile

takethisonehereforastart Tue 19-Jul-11 16:29:46

Go onto and report the problem.

They send a report to the council and they follow it up to ask if it has been resolved or not. The reports are published on the internet and you can remain anonymous (although since it's your drive that might not work).

Also report him to his taxi firm if he works for one.

And perhaps go to your local paper. This is the sort of story they like, although it might complicate the sale of your house but he is already cocking that up for you because buyers aren't stupid. If they have a problem parking for the viewing they will know it's a regular thing and it will be putting them off. Not only is he driving you out of your house but the council won't help you.

Could they not paint a disabled bay outside or double yellow lines? My FIL had a disabled bay put outside a house they rented really easily and if they question your need for one when you have parking facilities you can tell them you can't access them because of people parking outside and blocking you.

At the risk of starting the debate again, do you have a dropped kerb for your access?

cheekeymonkey Tue 19-Jul-11 16:29:50

Thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: