Talk

Advanced search

To be THIS upset about my cat

(25 Posts)
Filibear Tue 19-Jul-11 15:05:13

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

valiumredhead Tue 19-Jul-11 15:10:32

Awwwww poor thing sad Pets are part of our families and they worm they way into our hearts, don't they? x

RMutt Tue 19-Jul-11 15:17:38

sad I'm so sorry. Pets can be very loved indeed and are a huge source of comfort and joy. Ours are adored.

This is so sad; she's only young. Don't let anyone dismiss how it's making you feel.

PandaNot Tue 19-Jul-11 15:19:20

Aww, I would be devastated too if she were mine. I was so upset one of my cats was seriously ill last year and much more worried about him than I ever have been about either of my dc!

MoonGirl1981 Tue 19-Jul-11 15:19:54

Of course you should be upset!

A cat is pat of your family, you love them!!

Some people don't get it. My SiL is like this. Told me she couldn't see why I was still upset two weeks after losing my bunny (who was very much my soulmate - she was incredible) and said she'd never been upset for more than two days after losing a pet.

You grieve. It's normal. The MiL should be more sympathetic, or at least keep her opinions to herself.

Am sorry about your cat. You must be gutted. I really feel for you. The vet is right. Enjoy her and let her know how much you love her.

xxx

tabulahrasa Tue 19-Jul-11 15:22:29

Why is there nothing they can do? Did they refer you to an oncologist?

Onemorning Tue 19-Jul-11 15:26:11

I'm so sorry. I lost a wonderful cat to cancer last year, and grieved for him, he was a member of the family.

After the initial shock died down, we were able to enjoy his company and settled into a routine with his medication (palliative chemo etc) and vet check ups. He had a great life for a few months before his final infection.

The following charity offers an email service to people whose pets are terminally ill. They were incredibly supportive, and helped me to enjoy those last months.

http://www.ease-animals.org.uk/frame.html

Big hugs to you and your lovely kitty. xxx

diddl Tue 19-Jul-11 15:30:27

MsIL-Meh!

She sounds an old misery like mine.

My daughter-& I have wanted a dog for years.

We got one a few months ago.

MIL said to my husband-"oh, you caved in, then"-oh fuck off & rain on somebody elses parade you sour old cowblush

It hardly has any effect on her, does it?

diddl Tue 19-Jul-11 15:31:59

Sorry, got rather "me, me, me" there.

YANBU-& it´s worse imo as your cat is so young.

changedmynameihave Tue 19-Jul-11 15:33:35

YANBU at all

we have been devastated by the recent death of our much loved moggy. he was oldish but seemed really healthy until only a few days before he was pts.

I still shed a tear for him from time to time

DOn't let anyone make you feel bad for being sad, it's perfectly normal to love a pet and to be upset when they are ill.

Take care x

Sarsaparilllla Tue 19-Jul-11 15:47:54

YANBU, it's very sad losing a pet, I still get upset now if I think about when we lost the dog I grew up with and that way years ago now sad

& I bawled so much at Marley & Me the other night my eyes were all puffy when I went to work the next day, and that was just a film blush

Kayano Tue 19-Jul-11 15:55:45

I'm crying thinking of my cats now

sooty died at 1 - he was run over
chilli is about 4 now too and has the runs - vet gave meds but its still happening, think i need to call vets again tomorrow if its still there. I dont know what I would do if she was ill, but at least you would have a little time to adjust to it sad

sorry for your cat x

YANBU - my lovely cat died just over a year ago and I still miss her like mad!! Our pets are part of the family and of course we are really sad when they die. Enjoy your last few months and spoil her rotten

SparklyCloud Tue 19-Jul-11 15:59:52

YANBU.
Am so sorry to hear about your cat.

OTheHugeManatee Tue 19-Jul-11 16:12:44

YANBU. When my beloved old rescue cat had a heart attack I was inconsolable.

celebmum Tue 19-Jul-11 16:24:02

YANBU!

My cat, was knocked down and killed on DS's first birthday. I was devastated.. Genuinely gutted as she was my first pet/cat and I loved her so much. I try not to think about her too much as it's just too upsettingsad

What you are going through must be awful, enjoy the time you have left together.. Lots of cuddles and treats! I would give almost anything for once more day with my cat.. sad

X

prudaloo Tue 19-Jul-11 16:45:50

Poor puss! My elderly cat died alone and I still feel guilty.
When I rang DD, who was at Uni, she couldn't go to her lecture, but walked the streets weeping sad
YANBU at all. Hope you have a while longer with Puss.

Tanif Tue 19-Jul-11 16:53:28

YANBU pets are family members. I refer to my dog as my 'baby girl' and would be absolutely heartbroken if anything happened to her.

My mum's elderly dog had the same thing happen as your cat, the vet has described her as on borrowed time so my mum is enjoying every moment that she can with her. Do the same with your cat, extra cuddles, lots of play time, something delicious and possibly slightly naughty for tea (fresh chicken, anyone?) and don't forget to take lots of lovely photographs. Pets, sadly, can't stay with us for life, but they certainly stay in our hearts.

superjobee Tue 19-Jul-11 16:57:08

yanbu, i cried when my pet rat got put down for having cancer, she was sweet as chocolate i only had her 2 yrs sad when my mums first dog got put down when i was 19 <she'd had him since i was 5/6> i was a wreck. dont let anybody tell you you shouldnt be sad. i cant stand my best friends dog he is an untrained mongrel but she's had him 11 years and when he goes i'll be sad for the fact that whether i liked him or not he was a massive part of her life and mine.

emptyshell Tue 19-Jul-11 17:15:16

Not being unreasonable at all - it's part of your family. I've got an over 10 year old (I'd guess probably nearer 12) elderly wonky moggie (but we don't mention she's an old lady without covering her ears as she doesn't seem to have got the memo yet) and I will be utterly utterly devastated when her time comes - especially since in her early life before we got her she went down to 8 lives and three legs!

Suki sends you a purr (and Suki's purrs can cure any heartache - and drown out the telly)!

Oh I bawled my eyes out when my sil's boxer became ill and died a few weeks later, even when she was could barely stand she struggled up to come and see my dd, she died the next day. And i'm not even a dog lover. Loved that mutt tho.... they really do become part of the family sad

Ormirian Tue 19-Jul-11 17:16:16

MIL is a cow. Please ignore her.

Sorry about your cat sad

piratecat Tue 19-Jul-11 17:22:41

you love your cat, thats it. It's terrible to think of losing a beloved friend, feline or not..

I have lost two, in the last 18 months, both only just turned one. My heart goes out to you.xx

zukiecat Tue 19-Jul-11 17:31:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zukiecat Tue 19-Jul-11 17:37:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now