Talk

Advanced search

should i tell my sil ?

(19 Posts)
biddysmama Tue 19-Jul-11 12:34:48

i'm a mystery shopper and this morning a job came up where my sil works, im umming and ahhing about warning her ( i can even tell her the conversation as you have to do and say certain things) obviously i cant take it because we are related

i dont know

BigHairyGruffalo Tue 19-Jul-11 12:36:50

No. Don't do it. Don't take the job and don't tell her.

fedupofnamechanging Tue 19-Jul-11 12:39:44

I'd warn her, because she is family and your loyalty is to her (assuming you like her). I would tell her she mustn't warn her colleagues/boss though because it could put your job at risk.

usualsuspect Tue 19-Jul-11 12:40:34

We could always tell who the mystery customers were anyway grin

clam Tue 19-Jul-11 12:43:35

Conflict of interests. Say you can't do this particular job and why.

PamBeesly Tue 19-Jul-11 12:43:37

I'd personally tell her but it probably isn't the ethical thing to do, nobody is perfect and I love my SIL!

PotteringAlong Tue 19-Jul-11 12:43:50

turn down the job but don't warn her. More than your job (and hers) is probably worth

What is a mystery shopper, please?

FriggFRIGG Tue 19-Jul-11 12:49:23

id tell her....IF you can trust her to keep it QUIET.

cornflakegirl Tue 19-Jul-11 13:09:52

Don't tell her. She might feel that she needs to warn her one really close friend, and then it spirals. I assume you've agreed to some sort of confidentiality thing, and would get into trouble if it were found out?

BitOfFun Tue 19-Jul-11 13:18:02

Won't your SIL, er, recognise you?

reelingintheyears Tue 19-Jul-11 13:20:03

I'd love to be a mystery shopper.

Do you wear a disguise?

A wig and clown make up perhaps?

Very mysterious.

MoonGirl1981 Tue 19-Jul-11 13:26:41

My partner is a shop manager. He reckons staff are well aware who mystery shoppers are.

They do weird stuff like start up a conversation about one type of product, ask loads of questions about it and then buy something else.

They never spend more than a tenner either.

'Hidden' cameras are also apparantly quite obvious!

His staff have a code to warn each other.

She'll be fine, don't worry about it!

plantsitter Tue 19-Jul-11 13:29:14

When I was a mystery shopper it was always really obvious the staff were expecting me. So I wouldn't worry either way really (also, if you're the mystery shopper can't you just say your SIL was brill?)

MorelliOrRanger Tue 19-Jul-11 13:31:19

tell your boss its a conflict of interest.

I wouldn't tell your sis though.

MorticiaAddams Tue 19-Jul-11 13:35:28

I used to do mystery shopping and agree it was obvious the staff were expecting me. I even heard one telling his boss that I was here. I later learnt from somebody that used to work at Asda that they told them what time the mystersy shopper would be coming in and what they would be looking for.

GertieWooster Tue 19-Jul-11 13:36:52

I would not do the job and definitely not tell your SIL. If she was to tell others, which would be a big temptation, she could be in serious trouble with her employer.

northerngirl41 Tue 19-Jul-11 13:47:46

Hate to point this out, but if SIL is doing her job properly, then why would she be worried?

ChunkyMonkeyMother Tue 19-Jul-11 14:13:14

Two things, firstly if you are anything like our myster shoppers used to be then she will see said shopper a mile off! Secondly if she is doing a good job then she/you have nothing to worry about. Would you go into any other place and say "I'm just about to pop in to do a check, are you all ready?"

Seriously if our guys had worn a big badge saying "Secret shopper" it would have been less of a give away than their usual schpiel!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now